Need good software to record audio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Don't know if this is the right forum but it's close enough. I'm looking for a simple but good software program to record audio and save it in a good portable format like itunes files or "m p 3", something like that... and not the bulky "w a v" format. I do have Audacity but don't know if it has all the features or what. I don't pay anything for it. Tried saving something with Audacity and it's asking for some file called lame_enc.dll and I don't have it. Seriously, I just want a software that has everything in it already and doesn't make me go in search for some freakin dll file! Can you tell I'm a novice at this? :wink: Thanks in advance for the help!

For simple recording, I like Cool Edit (well I use Cool Edit Pro). It's a really easy to use interface.

ETA: you might have to poke around a bit if you want a 'free' copy...at some point Adobe got ahold of it and turned it/incorporated into the monstrosity Adobe Audition

For more complex recording, I use Cubase.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
I found that the program that allows you to decode SHN files to wav, MKW, also encodes wav into MP3 if you use CTRL drop. And it's small. No more then a few MBs. You could probably find a link to in it in the Music on the Internet section. Probably the sticky that explains how to decode FLAC/SHN.

Besides MKW I also use Exact Audio Copy to rip CD's into MP3's. Besides being one of the best (if not the best) CD ripping utilities it can also compress the ripped files into MP3.

Back
Top Bottom