NAMM news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I know this board in general has to be U2 related so forgive me if this thread becomes less about gear not usable for U2-related music.

So Namm 2016 is close. This NAMM should be bit special for us as Edge sig models will be announced. Plus, there are tons of cool pedals/guitars/any instrument-related products coming out. So I guess I dedicate this thread to news for recent releases that are aimed to be presented at NAMM. Obviously, if NAMM comes, any NAMM update is welcomed.

actually this thread was somewhat an excuse to post news about LesterG/K from EHX which is basically Leslie speaker sim. I loved how it sounded and I may see it used in U2 songs (well probably only One but still)

link to Lester G:

well Vox is announcing couple of new amps/guitars, one of which is modeling guitar. I don't see Edge using it (i mean, Edge didnt even use Line 6 electric JTV on stage or anywhere as far as i know, so). but I can be good tool for all of us. link to Vox guitar:

That guitar is fugly as sin. But I'd love to get my hands on that little module that makes all the sounds. :drool::drool:

Too bad they're probably not going to sell it separately. :doh:

That guitar is fugly as sin. But I'd love to get my hands on that little module that makes all the sounds. :drool::drool:

I am starting to see lots of amp companies trying out the modeling now (I have heard Vox is doing multi-voicing amps as well as modeling guitar); even Marshall is doing some amps with modeling capability, apparently. I guess companies are afraid of Axe-fx and Kemper taking over the world.

I agree that the guitar is fugly.

Musicradar.com has tons of update if you guys are interested. I saw Boss is doing waza-craft version of VB-2 on that site. and 8 pedals from Eearthquaker Device.

I hate the fact that those guitar-modeling systems (i.e. Variax system) aren't mostly sold separately unless you use some special connection or something ( I remember Adrian Belew has Varian system installed in his sig. Parker guitar).

I hate the fact that those guitar-modeling systems (i.e. Variax system) aren't mostly sold separately unless you use some special connection or something ( I remember Adrian Belew has Varian system installed in his sig. Parker guitar).

*cough* Custom Line6 MIDI capable rack DM-4 distortion modelers for a certain Irish guitarist. *cough*

I guess when you're a famous artist its good to be the king.

*cough* Custom Line6 MIDI capable rack DM-4 distortion modelers for a certain Irish guitarist. *cough*

I guess when you're a famous artist its good to be the king.

I totally agree with you, whenever I see Adrian Belew with his MIDI-capable Parker guitar what probably weighs around 4 pounds.

Boss has a solid state amp that costs like 2000 dollars, guy! and guitarists are already hating it solely because it's transistor operated!!! what a world

Well, anything amp related that does not have the word 'tubes' in it is bound to make purists go apeshit. I'm sure the words 'digital modeling' inspires the same amount of hatred. Probably even more as it has the word 'digital' in it as well, as opposed to the more acceptable 'analog'.

Personally I like solid state amps. Not only are they a lot less heavy, I find them to be a lot more consistent. Many were the times at rehearsal when I played a tube amp and find myself wondering why does it sound differently this time. All the pedals were the same, same amp settings, and yet..... Now that I've gone fully solid state (AMT F1 preamp -> Marshall 8008) my sound has become very reliable. It works for me, although I'm sure others have legitimate other opinions. In the end its all subjective.

I feel like some people could be pretty confused and infuriated by Boss/Roland as they try to cater "vintage" business by releasing waza craft things while boasting "modern, cutting-edge" technologies with these amps, so I am personally pretty bewildered what some companies are trying to do.

I have never used tube amps, really so I really can't compare them form my personal experiences, sorry....... I wish I can buy those mini tube heads, though.

It depends on what you consider the Waza brand to be. Re-releases of vintage classic designs or....., which I think, a marketing attempt by Boss to establish a high end sub brand for quality stuff. Which sometimes means re-releases of old pedals and sometimes cutting edge new stuff. Not very well thought out I'll admit, better to have them separate, high end modern on the one end, and a vintage brand for vintage stuff. I wonder if this is a Japanese cultural thing, where to them Waza as a brand for the best of the best of Boss, past and present, makes more sense to them as it does to us.

As for tube amps, you'll probably love them once you get one. There's a reason why they are so much beloved. Or you could sell your soul to the Digital Devil and stay away from them and enjoy the freedom that comes with modeling and solid state. What you never had you don't miss anyway. :wink:

I know that waza brand is supposed to be Boss's best; so collection of high quality pedals/whatever Boss has produced or will be producing. I am Japanese and I love Boss but the directionality of that brand seems pretty fuzzy. I guess it kinda catered to the idea of "Japan used to produce quality stuff so let's get back to those times," which is what lots of Japanese companies do nowadays (weird trace of nationalism, i see). plus, Roland has produced amazing solid states like JC120 and I guess Roland is one of those companies which are obsessed with being "cutting edge (no pun intended)" so I guess for the people at Roland, producing high end solid state amps is a natural step.

with all that said, I would love to try VB-2, I heard that original is pretty rare and costs like 500 bucks. I remember Nels Cline had the original Vb-2.

PS: one time I talked about the existence of high-end multi fx like Axe-Fx and my mom said, "that's hell a lot cheaper than buying all of those expensive vintage gear you talk about often" and I was slightly convinced that it's kinda stupid to care about vintage stuff when these units can nail their sounds 99% of the time.

Last edited:
The only things that really caught my eye from NAMM are the JHS Seesaw volume pedal/tuner and the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall.

The only things that really caught my eye from NAMM are the JHS Seesaw volume pedal/tuner and the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall.

that volume pedal was insane, though. tuber on the pedal? i wonder it can endure the frequent pedaling, i mean are those screens made that kind of abuse?

and you really like Chase Bliss, do you?

I was kinda impressed by new lines of Keeley pedals, not that I can afford them, but.

I know that waza brand is supposed to be Boss's best; so collection of high quality pedals/whatever Boss has produced or will be producing. I am Japanese and I love Boss but the directionality of that brand seems pretty fuzzy. I guess it kinda catered to the idea of "Japan used to produce quality stuff so let's get back to those times," which is what lots of Japanese companies do nowadays (weird trace of nationalism, i see). plus, Roland has produced amazing solid states like JC120 and I guess Roland is one of those companies which are obsessed with being "cutting edge (no pun intended)" so I guess for the people at Roland, producing high end solid state amps is a natural step.

with all that said, I would love to try VB-2, I heard that original is pretty rare and costs like 500 bucks. I remember Nels Cline had the original Vb-2.

I have a Buildyourownclone Analog Vibrato, a direct clone of the VB, only with true bypass and ramp switch. And yet I prefer the vibrato mod on their Analog Chorus pedal. Which is just a switch that cuts out the dry signal and only leaves the wet signal. The vibrato setting on the TC Electronic Dreamscape, the John Petrucci signature pedal, also sounds nice in my opinion. Also does chorus and flanging.

PS: one time I talked about the existence of high-end multi fx like Axe-Fx and my mom said, "that's hell a lot cheaper than buying all of those expensive vintage gear you talk about often" and I was slightly convinced that it's kinda stupid to care about vintage stuff when these units can nail their sounds 99% of the time.

Moms are very wise indeed! Also sometimes an outside view really helps us to see things more clearly. Its easy to get lost when only talking to other guitarists.

I've checked out the JHS Seesaw and the Tonal Recall. The latter seems like a cool pedal. But from what I can gather its signal path is mono and if a delay is not stereo in->stereo out I'm not interested. It also should have presets, cause I had dialing knobs between songs. That aside, some cool sounds to be had in that thing.

As for the Seesaw, making a buffered volume pedal ain't that hard. Having the option between different tapers is cool, and the tuner thing is uber cool. Caught this little marketing piece off the JHS website:

How many of us have crammed a tuner on our board and thought, “I could use this space for something else...”?

Yeah, I have thought of that. Until I saw the physical size of a volume pedal and thought 'not a good trade', as tuners tend to be a lot smaller then volume pedals. Plus these days they can pass power onto other pedals as well. I dunno, maybe if I actually used a volume pedal. Make it as small as the one from AMT, with built in tuner and you'd have a real winner.

Last edited:
I think JHS has to know that this "mini pedal craze" brought many mini expression/volume pedal to the market alongside with mini tuners. So I guess using both will save space more than big volume pedal with tuner? Ive seen Dunlop releasing mini expression and volume pedal and Hotone released mini volume/expression pedal ( functions are switchable and it can be wah as well).

about Vibrato, I have not really nailed vibrato sound or proper usage (it just feels too subtle when it's slow and it feels way too wobbly if i set it fast.....) so as long as it sounds like chorus, then it'll be fine i think

I think JHS has to know that this "mini pedal craze" brought many mini expression/volume pedal to the market alongside with mini tuners. So I guess using both will save space more than big volume pedal with tuner? Ive seen Dunlop releasing mini expression and volume pedal and Hotone released mini volume/expression pedal ( functions are switchable and it can be wah as well).

If JHS is known for one thing it's that they're good at modifying other people's designs. In this case the Ernie Ball volume pedal. Coming up with their own stuff, not so much. But to their credit they're more or less honest about that. Unlike others.

about Vibrato, I have not really nailed vibrato sound or proper usage (it just feels too subtle when it's slow and it feels way too wobbly if i set it fast.....) so as long as it sounds like chorus, then it'll be fine i think

I like wobbly. I like it more then generic chorussy. My instinct is like Tom Morello, find the extreme setting and stick with that. :wink:

I'd totally use this Explorer shaped one if I were to form U2 tribute band:

:drool:

Aluminium body? My first thought was 3D printed.

I actually like tremolo being pretty extreme and fast (like solo/noise on Tire me by RATM) but not the vibrato. weird.

About that 660 guitar, they have couple of different shapes, including that Explorer one and those guitars apparently made by CNC machine from aluminum. I feel like people kinda gave upon 3d-pinted body for a while now as material isn't all that good for guitar body (i.e. weak neck or non-resonant body).

that volume pedal was insane, though. tuber on the pedal? i wonder it can endure the frequent pedaling, i mean are those screens made that kind of abuse?

and you really like Chase Bliss, do you?

I figure JHS is smart enough to figure out a way the screens won't get destroyed so long as the guitarist isn't wearing cleats. And yeah, Chase Bliss is the best pedal maker there is right now. All analog signal path controlled digitally, 120 presets via MIDI, external tap input, and insane amounts of control in a small box.

I've checked out the JHS Seesaw and the Tonal Recall. The latter seems like a cool pedal. But from what I can gather its signal path is mono and if a delay is not stereo in->stereo out I'm not interested. It also should have presets, cause I had dialing knobs between songs. That aside, some cool sounds to be had in that thing.

Tonal Recall isn't stereo, but how many 100% analog delays out there are? I've played in stereo and I don't get the hoopla. Anyway, the Tonal Recall has two onboard presets, but whatever the knobs are pointed at makes a 3rd. There's a mini toggle to select between them. If you're using MIDI, there are 120 presets. So saying there aren't presets is inaccurate.

as much as I'm impressed by Chase Bliss, I'm not sure I can use their pedals at fullest potential; Im probably not skillful enough to justify 300-400 dollar phaser, methinks.

Last edited:
Chase Bliss is the best pedal maker there is right now. All analog signal path controlled digitally, 120 presets via MIDI, external tap input, and insane amounts of control in a small box. Tonal Recall isn't stereo, but how many 100% analog delays out there are?

Probably a lot more again now that Xvive is reproducing the old MN3005 BBD chips again,

I've played in stereo and I don't get the hoopla. Anyway, the Tonal Recall has two onboard presets, but whatever the knobs are pointed at makes a 3rd. There's a mini toggle to select between them. If you're using MIDI, there are 120 presets. So saying there aren't presets is inaccurate.

120 presets via MIDI? I'm impressed. Of course my rig does not use MIDI but it does use stereo.

as much as I'm impressed by Chase Bliss, I'm not sure I can use their pedals at fullest potential; Im probably not skillful enough to justify 300-400 dollar phaser, methinks.

If you use MIDI then it probably makes sense. Use all those presets to call up preprogrammed sounds. If you're not using MIDI and have to turn knobs between or during songs then less is more. In which case I'm a 1 knob kind of phaser guy. The Rate knob is all I really need. So Phase 90 and Small Stone for the win. 3 Knobs is the most I'm willing to put up with as I do have a Mutron II clone which does sound gorgeous. My Pigtronix Envelope Phaser on the other hand just gathers dust.

Wombtone mkII « Chase Bliss Audio

this is chase bliss' phaser. it's got 6 knobs and 3 toggles. in addition, there are myriad of DIP switches. well it's great that they're all MIDI controllable but still, it feels like theres no way i can control all of this. considering this is like 400 dollar worth of pedal, it seems just way too expensive as I have no way of using all of this

Now I resurrect this thread for summer NAMM news. have you guys got any interesting news about this thing? only substantially new thing that could be on people's board is new Waza Chorus from Boss

Back
Top Bottom