NAMM news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're just clones of the MI Audio Crunchbox with one additional capacitor thrown in. Might as well get that one. They're awesome.

Dammit, always, (despite the fact that I know about all of this), it's always goddamn clone of something. Not that I'm complaining, though.

I think it's more about my lack of knowledge about distortion pedal(I think I have decent knowledge about fuzz and overdrive). Like, even if I want that shred master pedal (from Marshall I think) that Jonny Greenwood has got, I don't know how I get that tone because I don't know that many kinds of distortion pedals and I probably end up using some kinda DS-1 like pedal which sounds worse but does the job. Plus some pedals like Blues Driver from Boss are kinda overdrive, kinda distortion pedal. Can't really tell.

They were clones like 5+ years ago. It's been completely redesigned since then. Also, it was a clone of the Super Crunch Box, not the regular Crunch Box. So there's that.

actually the first JHS pedal i really WANTED was obvious clone of Univibe. apparently my taste for modulation pedal is pretty basic.

also, i realized that what I wanted was distorted Marshall tone. hm, apparently my taste for distortion is pretty basic too. good to know.

Last edited:
Calling the Unicorn a clone of the Univibe is like calling the Timeline a clone of a tape delay. :doh:

Calling the Unicorn a clone of the Univibe is like calling the Timeline a clone of a tape delay. :doh:

sure it's not the direct copy and it definitely is my fault that i called it clone as if it's parts-to-parts replication. because it probably isn't. but still, the fact that my taste for pedals is pretty basic still stands.

so is JHS digitally emulating univibe on that one or are they substituting certain parts within the original Univibe units with more available ones so that the pedal will be smaller and cheaper?

Last edited:
actually Digitech is releasing yet another amazing looking modulation pedal which is chorus/flanger. not that these are must for Edge rig or emulation of that but still, could be cool to add on the board. I mean, Edge isn't kind of a guy who just mindlessly uses chorus for his clean sound; he's got amazing clean already he doesn't need one, I'm sure. But I'm sure you guys out there love some flanger and chorus. at least Zakk Wylde does

http://digitech.com/en/products/nautila

this is it.

Last edited:
also, i realized that what I wanted was distorted Marshall tone. hm, apparently my taste for distortion is pretty basic too. good to know.

There's a metric shitload of pedals which do that. Might as well pick one at random and be done with it. I've played a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret for years, I recommend one because I like Catalinbread. They don't clone other people's pedals with a slightly different flavor, they try to be original. Plus their amp emulation pedals play well together with other pedals.

In the end though you always have to take one thing into account, does this dirt pedal play well on my amp? You can get the most super duper awesome boutique pedal and it sounds sweet in the store, and then you take it home and suddenly it sounds shite on your own amp. Some amps take pedals well, some are picky.

sure it's not the direct copy and it definitely is my fault that i called it clone as if it's parts-to-parts replication. because it probably isn't. but still, the fact that my taste for pedals is pretty basic still stands.

so is JHS digitally emulating univibe on that one or are they substituting certain parts within the original Univibe units with more available ones so that the pedal will be smaller and cheaper?

More likely the latter. JHS is INFAMOUS for cloning existing stuff and substituting a few parts, or adding few things. Lots of boutiquers are. That's how they started out, as DIYers who were tinkering with existing stuff. Some move on, some don't. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with JHS build quality and if it sounds awesome, go for it, but you check under the bonnet and you know what to look for you sigh and go 'Oh, JHS!'.

actually Digitech is releasing yet another amazing looking modulation pedal which is chorus/flanger. not that these are must for Edge rig or emulation of that but still, could be cool to add on the board. I mean, Edge isn't kind of a guy who just mindlessly uses chorus for his clean sound; he's got amazing clean already he doesn't need one, I'm sure. But I'm sure you guys out there love some flanger and chorus. at least Zakk Wylde does

Nautila | DigiTech Guitar Effects

this is it.

Oh, I dig that. :drool: Digitech is really stepping up their game lately and I can really use a good flanger with chorusy/vibratoish capability. I can build a lot of things but for some reason me and building flangers are non-mixy. I can't seem to get the damn things to work right. :(

I guess I'm lost in the midst of the sea of choices when it comes to gain pedals. One day I feel like Box of Rock/Metal from ZVex (at least Zach, th the founder of ZVex said he doesn't want to clone pedals, so.....) but one day it feels like "why can't I just use some Boss or MXR pedal and just be done with this?" It's endless journey. I will check out Catalinbread pedals they do look/sound cool and I know tons of pro players use them. Maybe Edge could use some of those, who knows? I wish we reall get to know his array of pedals for current I.E. tour.

Yeah, I tend to love flangers more than chorus when it comes to modulation. Really wanna hear good demos of it, as now the only demo I can see is from the floor of summer NAMM which is noisy as fuck. Also this pedal can also cover vibrato on top of chorus/flange which is lovely. I wasn't too into vibrato pedal until recently; I tried out JC120 ( the real big one) and its vibrato was fantastic! I actually thought that's better than chorus for the first time.

Last edited:
So which tap tempo, digitally controlled analog univibe did JHS clone to get the Unicorn? Just curious.

I think a lot of people who diss JHS are stuck in 2010. All over thegearpage as well, by internet lawyers who like looking at pedal guts more than using their ears. And usually are the same people praising various fuzzfaces and tonebenders, klones and tubescreamer direct clones.

As for the MI Audio pedal, sounded different (one not necessarily better than the other) to me and I wouldn't have known they were related more than being MIABs without all the detectives. And it will ESPECIALLY be different now that the JHS has TMB controls instead of just tone and presence.

Last edited:
I assume people these days use digital control on analog pedal to allow things like tap tempo and complex controls, like Chase Bliss does. I know nothing about electronics so don't really trust me here.

Btw I know Edge isn't really a Marshall guy but has he used any Marshall-like distortion sound? I've heard he's got this JCM800 esque setting on his Digitech unit in the 90s which was for Hold Me Thrill Me..... But not sure whether it's true or not,

I assume people these days use digital control on analog pedal to allow things like tap tempo and complex controls, like Chase Bliss does. I know nothing about electronics so don't really trust me here.

Up until very recently, this has been the exception and not the rule. Chase Bliss does not make a Univibe-like pedal, though. I do not know of a single other manufacturer that makes an analog Univibe with tap tempo.

But like I said, it bugs me when people rag on JHS or Lovepedal (their OD11 was called a ripoff of the Timmy because it achieved similar results by the same method, when each designer was assisted with their design by the same person, who helped with one thing both designers wanted - and in turn accidentally created very similar pedals) but turn a blind eye to all the Klon Centaur clones and tubescreamer clones and fuzz face clones and tonebender clones and big muff clones.

[Ironically, when Bill Finnegan started production of the Klon KTR, JHS stopped production on their Klon clone, unlike the dozens of others who still make it and aren't hassled]

well i am aware that chase Bliss dent make univibe but they do use digital control on analog circuits to allow the finer/mroe complex/batshit insane controls and all that.

also I don't hate JHS as much as others do, I think, but some really do hate the company. i have no clue why. also about "Klones," I too think it was kinda insane for everyone, even big company/oldy like EHX cloned Centaur. And I can't really afford them so I am not able to try them out. too bad. It is kinda good that this cloning Klon thing kinda died down at this point. But again, I saw plenty of pedals released at NAMM this summer so i may be wrong about that.

So which tap tempo, digitally controlled analog univibe did JHS clone to get the Unicorn? Just curious.

It's not that hard to add tap tempo to analog pedals. It's becoming more and more the thing in the DIY community to do so. So if JHS hadn't done the same, now that would have been the shocker.

I think a lot of people who diss JHS are stuck in 2010. All over thegearpage as well, by internet lawyers who like looking at pedal guts more than using their ears. And usually are the same people praising various fuzzfaces and tonebenders, klones and tubescreamer direct clones.

People who like looking at pedal guts, which I'm not that into myself, love to be surprised and see something new. They don't mind it when somebody comes out and says 'hey, I've got a new spin on those classic pedals'. When its a really clever spin they will even show appreciation for it. But they absolutely loath it when somebody comes out with a big marketing spin presenting the latest and newest since the invention of sliced bread, then they look under the hood and see, yup, yet another *insert classic pedal* with a slight spin. YATS or YAFF (yet another tubescreamer or yet another fuzz face) have become infamous acronyms.

As for the MI Audio pedal, sounded different (one not necessarily better than the other) to me and I wouldn't have known they were related more than being MIABs without all the detectives. And it will ESPECIALLY be different now that the JHS has TMB controls instead of just tone and presence.

So......, JHS has basically regressed and gone back to the Marshall Guvnor? The pedal on which the Crunch Box was based and which had TMB controls. :D

Now don't get me wrong as a JHS hater though. If it sounds good and there's a layout out there I'll build it. I've built the Morning Glory and I've just built an Andy Timmons.

Up until very recently, this has been the exception and not the rule. Chase Bliss does not make a Univibe-like pedal, though. I do not know of a single other manufacturer that makes an analog Univibe with tap tempo.

But like I said, it bugs me when people rag on JHS or Lovepedal (their OD11 was called a ripoff of the Timmy because it achieved similar results by the same method, when each designer was assisted with their design by the same person, who helped with one thing both designers wanted - and in turn accidentally created very similar pedals) but turn a blind eye to all the Klon Centaur clones and tubescreamer clones and fuzz face clones and tonebender clones and big muff clones.

That's because JHS and Lovepedal are two of the biggest offenders when it comes to cloning other people's stuff, add a slight twist and then spin a sweet marketing story to sell it as the 2nd coming of Christ. Also Lovepedal cloning the Timmy is considered a dick move because Paul Cochrane who designed and builds it is considered one of the nicest guys in the pedal community. DIYers who will clone basically anything that's out there, even the most rabid ones from freestompboxes.org will go out of their way not to clone the Timmy, or at least seek his permission.

[Ironically, when Bill Finnegan started production of the Klon KTR, JHS stopped production on their Klon clone, unlike the dozens of others who still make it and aren't hassled][/QUOTE]

I know a few others who had planned to stop selling their Klon(e)s, I know that BYOC stopped selling their Klon(e) kit, but it would seem Bill has not made himself that popular. Maybe he should have a chat with Paul Cochrane? But does it matter? Even cheap ass Chinese companies are selling Klon(e)s nowadays, as they do with the Timmy. And while you can charm the DIY community and some boutiquers into not cloning your stuff, the Chinese just don't give a f*** about anything.

well i am aware that chase Bliss dent make univibe but they do use digital control on analog circuits to allow the finer/mroe complex/batshit insane controls and all that.

also I don't hate JHS as much as others do, I think, but some really do hate the company. i have no clue why. also about "Klones," I too think it was kinda insane for everyone, even big company/oldy like EHX cloned Centaur.

Like I said, people don't like JHS because they don't design their own stuff, they clone things and add a new small twist. And then huff and puff when others do the same. Wampler comes up with new designs, Catalinbread comes up with new designs, they don't seem to create much dislike, maybe that is the key?

EHX cloning the Centaur was weird, but considering how many pedal builders have made their careers on cloning and tweaking their stuff, most on just the Big Muff alone, I'm willing to cut them some slack. They also cloned the tubescreamer and Maestro fuzz. Rumor has it they needed money to fund all the really interesting pedals that came after the release of the Soul Food, East River Drive and Satisfaction Fuzz.

You have to keep in mind though, the Klon was no longer being built for a long time and achieved almost mythical status. It created an incredible demand which pushed up prices to ridiculous levels. In no small part helped by Bill Finnigan himself and his socalled mystery diodes. So when freestompboxes.org pooled some money together to buy one and traced it the genie was out of the bottle and everybody started doing them. EHX probably builds the cheapest version out there that you can get. Whether or not the pedal lives up to the hype, that's another thing, and best left up to your budget and to your ears.

And I can't really afford them so I am not able to try them out. too bad. It is kinda good that this cloning Klon thing kinda died down at this point. But again, I saw plenty of pedals released at NAMM this summer so i may be wrong about that.

This is why I got into DIY pedals. I was in a Radiohead tribute band at the time and I needed some of Jonny's pedals, like the DOD-440, which were out of production and had become expensive as hell. And then I learned that you could pedals like that for a fraction of the cost, and from there it snowballed. I had no electronics background, I had to learn soldering, stripping wires, sourcing my own electronics, troubleshooting failed pedals. It was hard, there was a high failure rate, I still have failures today, but I also have a LOT of fun, cool, interesting pedals. Which costs me not that much to build. I can usually build a pedal for $25. Which is good because I still don't have a lot of money. All it takes is patience and determination. And there is a very good and helpful DIY community out there.

It was funny when EHX seemed to be "in need of money" and released bunch of famous clones and then the flood gate opens; all kinds of keyboard emulation, rotary speaker emulator, (basic-as-hell overdrive pedal). Basically when everyone complained about their broken ass financial status.

If I could build pedals, hell yes I would. I am not sure I can put energy and time for that for a while though, as (if things work well) I'll be in grad school within a year or 2. As I want many of these classic pedals which seem to be pretty expensive. Like Marshall Gov'ner and Shredmaster, Klon/KTR, etc, building them on my own sounds like a better idea. also if I could do some electronics I could mod guitars. Damn. I should've taken AP physics C in high school that could be interesting and useful rather than my bio knowledge.

Anyway yeah I am aware that JHS hate coming from them cloning popular pedals quite a while. Also I think Wampler gets less hate as they (or Brian himself) are more transparent about their pedal development process (they do admit that their Clarksdale is TS-style pedal with 3 band EQ). As long as they're honest about it I don't hate it. (Because nobody wants to be like Vertex). Also if they develop original pedals that's exciting as well. Dunno why they don't hate companies like Movall or Tone City which are shamelessly ripping off pedals. Is it because their pedals are cheap? If that's true then our integrity is shit. Practical, but shitty.

Also for NAMM, I saw some more interesting thing like Fender Deluxe Strat, Mustang with P90s and DeArmond-sounding Strat/Tele pups from TV Jones (I mean who needs these gold fools from old ass Harmony guitars anyway?). Also Eventide released this weird new program for H9 which is basically distortion, and this is already hated (you see why already, I think).

Wow. I gotta step out. So much debunked stuff here. I just don't have the time or energy to rehash debates that've gone on on thegearpage with you guys. Heh.

Wow. I gotta step out. So much debunked stuff here. I just don't have the time or energy to rehash debates that've gone on on thegearpage with you guys. Heh.

but you could be interested in those TV Jones strat pickups based on DeArmonds? no? or new P-90s from TV Jones?

Back
Top Bottom