Mysterious Ways Tone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monroe

Babyface
I'm trying to get a good tone for Mysterious Ways using a Pod Pro XT. I know The Edge used a preset on the Korg A3. Exactly what does that program contain? To me is sound like an auto wah with some phase shifter, distortion and some delay. Does anybody know spacifically what are the setting on each effect? I have down loaded some user made programs off the net but have not been satisfied.

The unique-ness of the A3 "Funk wah" patch (SPC-01 card) is the reason that most U2 cover Edges have at least an A3 in their rig.

Most good Faux-edges I know have told me that you can pretty much capture the majority of Edge's tone with a Pod Pro and an A3.

I just uploaded my Mysterious Ways tone to the Custom Tone website. You can find it by searching for by last name - "Zigman".

A key part of the Mysterious Ways tone is using an Electric 12-String. (I use my Variax for this).

To mimic the filter effect using only my POD XT Live, I use an external wah pedal (or the built-in XT Live pedal) and play it together with the autowah. You have to play the wah pedal "backwards" i.e. you press down when you hit the chord and bring it back slowly to mimic the filter effect.

I think this technique works quite well. Not 100% perfect, but I'd say around 95% - good enough that it's not worth buying a Korg A3 just for this patch ;)

I agree. The 12-string makes a huge difference. When I got my Ric and tried it for the 1st time with the A3, it was a night and day difference.

There is a new piece of gear that might be able to reproduce the A3 sounds. I'm working on it. If I can get something close, I post some clips.

Thanks guys. I hate to have to buy a piece of equiptment just for one song, although it would not be the first time. DanZigs, thanks for the download, however you must have a modeling pack that I do not have. I get that error message when I go to your patch. It could be that your using a XT Live and I use the XT Pro. It sounds like something is missing. I see you have posted about 150 different patches. I tried some of your other patches and had the same problem with some, others worked great.

I haven't posted 150 different patches.. for some reason I posted about 8-10 and the rest are all duplicates.. Maybe people tweak them and reupload?

This patch uses one the new wah models for the XT Live, so it's possible that that's the problem.. Have you updated to version 3.0 of the firmware? If not use the Line 6 Monkey and give that a try.

Remember, that the patch is setup to be played with a wah pedal and a 12-string, so the original tone will sound like it doesn't have enough high frequency.

Also, I realized after playing around with it today that the reverb could definitely be improved on.

Last edited:
Easy, unlike the XT Pro, the XT Live comes with the Effects pack pre-installed. One of the three amp/FX/OD packs Line6 tries to wring its customers out of extra money off, rather then install them from the go as they should.

Sounds like either way I'm going to have to spend some money, unless those modeling packs are on line somewhere:eyebrow: What other signature tones can you get off of the A3?

monroe said:
Sounds like either way I'm going to have to spend some money, unless those modeling packs are on line somewhere:eyebrow: What other signature tones can you get off of the A3?

I wouldn't worry about signature tones for the A3. Buy it, if you're going to, because it really is a pretty decent sounding processor and doesn't cost all that much money.

I love mine, and it's my main processor, aside from a delay unit I use mostly for echo. I rarely play U2 stuff anymore, but I still use the A3 all the time.

Muad'zin you're right. The Autowah and flanger that I used are part of the effects patch. Oh well...

Monroe, I'm pretty sure that Line6 lets you test out their patches risk free for 30 days after which you can get your money back if you don't want to keep them. You can try it out and see if the extra effects are worth the money. That was how the suckered me into buying the add-ons. I really think that the Metal add-on is excellent, by the way (and I'm not a metal fan at all).

MW Tone

I use POD XT for all my tones in my U2 Tribute band.. I have tried to attach my Mysterious ways patch to this post. If you have a POD, you are welcome to it.

This is programmed for using live, I run the output through the Poweramp setting (what are you connected to) into a Kendrick 2010 Tube Amp. It includes a VOX AC30 amp modeller in the patch so it also sounds Okay DI'd. Most important part for me is the actual effect and delay sounds.

Live I use the foot controller to turn the Mod effect on and off while playing. I leave the Stomp off unless I am doing a solo, and I use the Comp (compressor) as a signal boost for solos etc.

Email me if you like it or want any more. If you don't have a POD this post might not make much sense.

I have been trying to decide if I should write a "how I copy the edge using a pod" section of our website, but don't know how many (if any) people would be interested.

Attachments

• u2 myst.zip
    738 bytes · Views: 37
I just figured out the putting the MOD in the post-configuration really improved the tone. If you tried the one that I made before and thought that it was missing something, try downloading version 2 from customtone.

For buffalo:
I would be very interested in a section ""how I copy the edge using a pod". Also,it would be noce if you can share some of your patches .

Back
Top Bottom