My bass lessons...and your opinions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
Ok I took my first lesson yesterday. I like my instructor so far. But I'm having issues with this technique he wants me to employ with my fretting hand. It's this whole "cat's claw" thing where I'm supposed to make my hand look like said cat's claw to work on reaching the frets etc. It's not very comfortable, and I didn't expect reaching the frets to be all entirely that easy, but I'm wondering what other way there is to learn this particular aspect or if I'm just whining too much! I'm not opposed to saying something to him about it, but I just want some opinions from here first. My fretting hand thanks you. :wink:

This has nothing to do with helping you, cause I don't plkay guitar or bass, but ...

Your post reminded me of the Friends episode where Phoebe was teaching Joey how to play the guitar. She didn't know the chord names, but she called them things like "Old Lady Hand" "bear Claw" etc.

I've been playing guitar for 9 months now, and have taught myself using books and tabs, I've gotten some good tips and help from a friend of mine who's been playing bass for 16 years.
So it is good to get lessons from an experienced musician, I'm sorry I didn't do that when I first started, and believe me when your starting out your gonna find an awful lot of things uncomfortable.
I think it would be best to take your teachers advice for the whole term of the lessons, then when your finished you can find your own style or play the way you find most comfortable.
It's just a case of getting used to it, it took me ages to adjust to bar chords, my fingers kept cramping up and were really sore for weeks, no pain, no gain.

I think you should listen to your teacher. Most people underestimate just how important your position for your fingers is. I know it?s hard to begin with, but it?ll pay off. Really!

For bass it?s really important that you learn to use all your fingers, the little one included. And it is also very imortant to have all your fingers very close to the strings. You?ll be able to play much faster.

So I?d say, listen to what he?s saying and try to do it. Your left hand will be thankful after a while :)

I'm doing better...I think...lol. My short lil fingers are doing the best they can on that giant bass neck. Perhaps my next bass will be a short scale...but I like this challenge. :D

Week 2 update....

I'm still going strong! Got this cute little bass line to practice and it's a little further down the neck so it's not so hard for me to play. My fingertips are pleading for mercy, but I'm not giving into them. lol Oh and on a semi-related note (no pun intended! lol) I switched my Italian class to Intro to Music Theory! I'm excited!! :D I'm really committed to being able to kick some ass on my bass....let's hope I have the talent to do it!

Re: Week 2 update....

clarityat3am said:
I'm really committed to being able to kick some ass on my bass....let's hope I have the talent to do it!

I?m sure you?ve got plenty of talent :) just keep on practizing and you?ll get it.

I have to start looking for a new teacher. My old one just told me that he can?t teach me any more :sad:

Week 3.....

awww that sucks AM! :slant: Hope you find a good one to replace him!

Well today my instructor gave me a guitar and drum track to practice my aforementioned cute lil bass line. I really like this idea...and the coolest part was that he laid the track down *during* my lesson, so I admired his geetar playing whilst hearing the line I was learning. :D I love lessons!

week 4...

I'm gettin the hang of this...I think I have potential. And then WHAM...unemployment...so no lessons for a couple weeks now. :sad: I'll be back in business in no time though...I'm just pissed at my former job...mofos!

this is inspiring...i couldn't take lessons due to my weird work schedule so i started learning by video :ohmy: hope that doesnt sound too cheezy....anyway, i learned this little blues progression that i loved loved loved playing!!

i need to pick my bass up again and start playing more...

I figured out the method of my instructor's madness (heh) at my last lesson and I like the way he goes about his teaching. I have a couple of bass lines that I practice now along with a finger excercise that I practice on the big frets so someday I can reach them with no problems. :D *shakes fist at corporate America again* I'll keep updating when I start lessons again. :)

elizabeth: That doesn't sound cheezy! It's a great way to learn if you can't get to lessons imho. :up:

clarityat3am said:

elizabeth: That doesn't sound cheezy! It's a great way to learn if you can't get to lessons imho. :up:

thanks- and i was sorry to hear you had to quit your lessons. I thought it (videos) might be a good alternative for you to utilize until you could start up again. i really need to get practicin' again, but right now everything is packed for our move. GAH. i held my bass today and did a few quick fingering exercises before i put it away in it's comfy little gig bag.

LOL- I remember when i bought it, and the guy at the store was like "Here's your gig bag." and i thought "OMG! I won't ever be playing GIGS in front of people!"

I'll be back to my lessons in no time...it's just a matter of cash flow at the moment. LOL @ gig bag...I know what you're saying!

I teach the bass, and if you don't have the $ now, just try some tabs off the net. I usually tell my students to stay away from them, because you can't rely on their accuracy. But if you're just starting out, go for it, because the important thing is playing along with tunes to just get in it.

try this: a c major scale is c/d/e/f/g/a/b/c
play it starting on the a string, 3rd fret, w/ your 2nd finger.
now, just use 4th finger, 5th fret
1st finger, 2nd fret, d string
2nd finger, 3rd fret
4th finger, 5th fret
1st finger, 2nd fret , gstring
3rd finger, 4th fret
4th finger, 5th fret

in other words:
a string fingers: 2-4
d string fingers: 1-2-4
g string fingers: 1-3-4

now that should sound like do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-ti-do
take that pattern anywhere on the fretboard and your playing in that particular key.

try the bassline to WOWY:
dddddddd/aaaaaaaa/bbbbbbbb/gggggggg
5th fret/a str 5thfret /estr 2nd fret /astr 3rd fret/e str:yes: :sexywink:

Re: Update....

clarityat3am said:
I'm starting back into my lessons next week! *excited!* More updates to follow after that! :D

that?s great!!! I still haven?t found a bass teacher after my last one told me that he won?t teach any more :(

But I signed up for some clarinet lessons next autumn. That should be fun :)

I just set up another month of lessons! Yay! Even though I'm still not employed despite applying for well over 30 jobs...arg! My instructor gave me the Mission Impossible bass line this week...woohoo!

Ok so this is week whatever...lol. My instructor laid out some guitar/drum tracks on a tape to go with my bass lines. He's all like...I'm playing these at a moderate speed. And it didn't sound too fast...haha. So I get home and try them out and I'm like FECK, I can't keep up! lol I think I'm just a wee bit out of practice. So I'll be doing a whole lot more practicing than usual...*apologizes to fingers in advance* :wink:

Ok...I got the bass line for Come Together this week. Yay Beatles! I'm excited about this one! And I took in my Pete Yorn cd and he told me that he could teach me those too. They're not really hard I guess, but I'm still pretty clueless about the whole thing. All I know is that I love my bass! :D

If Phoenix slept in my bed I'd probably roll over and he'd end up scratched and broken. lol He's got a nice stand to show off on. :D

Back
Top Bottom