Multiple Delay Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johngilesyoder

Babyface
Hi guys! My first post on here.

I have always wondered how Edge manages his delay levels for multiple songs, multiple guitars, multiple amps, multiple channels, etc..

Does anyone know how he manages the complexity for all those variables?

As a follow up, I have the SDD-3000 and it has a stereo out, but you cannot manage the effect balance for left/right independently. Surely this type of thing has been figured out in some way or fashion. Does Edge *only* adjust the volume level for the amps per song? Not the effect balance? Does he literally run the same delay balance for every song?

I look forward to hearing your insight/suggestions!

Edge runs delay in mono, surprisingly. In addition, each of wireless packs of his guitars has assgined output level and all that, so that volume of the guitar would be (at least) consistent. I don't know too much about amp setting, but I know he uses various combination of amps (again, its just duo mono setups and same signals are fed to both amps) to get some volume and thickness. hope that helps

Edge runs delay in mono, surprisingly. In addition, each of wireless packs of his guitars has assgined output level and all that, so that volume of the guitar would be (at least) consistent. I don't know too much about amp setting, but I know he uses various combination of amps (again, its just duo mono setups and same signals are fed to both amps) to get some volume and thickness. hope that helps

So, you're saying a mono output signal is split AFTER one delay unit and not before two units? That seems contradictory to almost everything else I've heard. Especially, the famed Amnesta Edge Delay explanations (A Study of The Edge’s Guitar Delay (U2)).

Is this confirmed?

That wireless attenuation solution is pretty brilliant. Makes a lot of sense.

So, you're saying a mono output signal is split AFTER one delay unit and not before two units? That seems contradictory to almost everything else I've heard. Especially, the famed Amnesta Edge Delay explanations (A Study of The Edge’s Guitar Delay (U2)).

Is this confirmed?

That wireless attenuation solution is pretty brilliant. Makes a lot of sense.

You should never, ever believe in Amnesta, they can just say lies and nobody would give a damn about it....

and yes, i said that Edge splits his signal after the signal goes thru delay units. I dont know what Amnesta is saying. Or he could've run delay in stereo in the past but stopped doing it as the rig became as big as it is......

PLUS, the article from the past said that Edge runs his SDD3000 in mono (look at Amnesta) so it shouldn't be that much of a problem to use mono setups; only "Edge" effect that definitely needs to be in stereo config. is probably shimmer

Last edited:
Very, very interesting. I was so convinced! So does Edge 1) run the two amps at equal volume and settings and let them get mixed at the board or does he 2) have separate settings for the dual amps or 3) manage the volume balance per song?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. This is fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

75% of the time hes using his main vox amp.
Theres a good Rehearsal from Las vegas' popmart'
When he talks about adding another Vox for a bigger sound UTEOTW ending.other amps are used sparingly. Bob Bradshaw talks about his rig being mono and edge having alot of stuff effects ect to choose from, but what I took from it is he has a palate and if he needs more drive or more boost its there..you can get the interview on you tube and I think CAE website also.
His Amps no doubt have been locked in when rehearsals started and Joe will have it stored
Mixing level ect as to what edge does volume ect
Its probably set n forget and I have read edge plays pretty loud:) good idea would be to be up front on edges side on the latest tour.way back to the Elevation tour he was only running 2 vox amps but running the effects hotter.all his SDDs settings were in pics attenuator settings volume ect on the Elevation tour but now with the new SDD pedal it makes things alot easier ,midi being one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom