Multi-effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Hi, People!

So I want an opinion about multi-effects.
I am more of an effect guy rather than technique guy, so I tend to mess around with effects more than practicing scales and chords, which is probably better than just fiddling with knobs for 2 hours just for the tone.
Anyway, I feel like I will get job during summer so I might be able to afford better gear. Probably I might be able to upgrade my effect units.
Right now, I have Digitech RP360 Xp, which is phenomenal thing with tons of pedals/amp-sims. However, I feel very limited especially when it comes to the use of pedal. Digitech never pulled off the good use of built-in expression pedals. So, if you guys know the better brands or units, please let me know.
Plus, Do you guys have any opinions about recent Line 6? I haven't heard only negative things about recent Line 6 products, for some reason.

FYI, I can't afford one of those floor units from Fractal.

Two questions. Does it have to be a multi FX unit or are individual pedals good too? And how good are you with a soldering iron? Because if you like pedals and know how to solder there are tons of effects you can build yourself. There is a very large and helpful DIY community that build amps, guitars and pedals. I must have built hundreds of them over the years, its quite addictive. You can even take your favorite effect circuits and build your own multi effect.

As for Line 6, I've never had any problems with how their gear sounds, I'm not that fussy. I do have a problem that they constantly keep on releasing new gear. It's like each time I refresh my browser *boom* a new multiFX unit appears. I barely get to know my old unit before a new one comes along, and of course it wreaks havoc on the resale value of my old units.

Well, I was going for buying 3 pedals or so, but realized that I need to decide the point where I can compromise and I don't have to buy anymore. Multi-fx are okay for that criteria, but Digitech pedal is somewhat not enough sometimes. I am considering adding some pedals or improving amp, like something into small Fender amps or other vox amps. I want to learn how to build pedals, but I don't think I can't do that in my parents' house, where I spend most of my time during summer.

hi Mack i have tones of gear racks/boss n line6 fx m13 ect but
still go back to pedals:) get sum pedals and you can tweak and
mess around with sounds.theres clips on you tube people using
pedals and a small amp vox/fender and sum nice sounds :up:
im just finshing off a boss pedalboard to use for jamming with
but decide what sounds your after and look into sum pedals.

I may add pedals to my Digitech pedal, because it's not that bad, i was just thinking of stacking effects (2 delays, 2ods, etc) which i can't do with that thing.

so basically buying fuzz/distortion, wah and some mod. is enough, probably
Or delay to make it U2-enough?

Its easy to say I want a few pedals, some of this, this and this. Unfortunately the bitch is in selecting and trying out which ones sound most pleasing to your ear and work best in your rig. :(

True, the DS-1 by itself is not the most stellar dirt box out there. Although they say the older made in Japan version is better then the made in Taiwan version. Luckily there are a ton of modifications you can make to a DS-1, or an SD-1, that will make it sound a lot better. Those really make those Boss pedals such great steals. You can get them dirt cheap on the 2nd hand market and since they're all analog old school soldered components they're easy to mod.
You can find a lot of easy mods here that will make your DS-1 sound a lot better in these articles by Brian Wampler:

Boss DS-1 Mods

There's also a lot of links to other mods for other pedals at the bottom. I'll probably sound like a broken record saying this, but if you don't have a lot of money a soldering iron is a guitarist's best friend.

Back
Top Bottom