Modeling guitars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill Mike D

War Child
Well, after reading about the Variax the other day, and discovering today that Fender and Gibson are making their own digital guitars (which also seem to include standard pickups), I'm officially interested in the concept.

Have any of you ever used one of these? What do you think?

I have a Variax 700. It's my only electric guitar (other than an old cheap Ibanez) and I think it's fantastic. Cost me $1100 CDN and it gives me a huge array of different sounds to work with. Not to mention being able to change tunings instantly and play around with 12-string models.
Highly recommended!

DanZigs - what do You use Your Variax with? Vetta? Or maybe some POD? That must be giving like infinity of various configurations!
I'm interested in buying a Variax 700 for myself. Is it worth it's price? Some people say it sounds unnatural and "plastic". Can You comment it somehow?
I'm really horny on that V700 ;-). I hate my Washburn BT-4. When I finally buy Variax, I'll probably WASTE IT! CRUSH ON THE STREET, DESTROY. And laugh! And, of course, record it on the video and at last upload on YouTube.

So, first of all, it's been a while since I bought the Variax (almost 1 year) and I remembered that it's actually the 600 model. It shouldn't change anything, since they are all the same electronics, though.

As a guitar, it's as good as an American Strat. I heard that the 700 plays like a Les Paul.

I typically run my Variax into a POD XT Live, then into my computer. When I play with a band (very rarely), I'll run the XT Live into the effects return of my old Crate GX-80 amp.

I think the guitar sounds great. I have limited experience playing around with others, but it plays well, and sounds fantastic. In addition, I love being able to change tunings on the fly, as I play a lot of songs that are tuned down 1/2 step.

Back
Top Bottom