Midi Rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadcaster

Refugee
Hi guys.

Thought the discussion had been a little dead around here recently so i thought i'd propose a topic:

Have any of you upgraded your rigs to be controlled by midi controllers like the edge does? i recently did this and i'm loving it!

If so, what gear did you go with and how do you have it all link up?

Cheers!
Chris

I haven't yet -- but I'm considering it.

I like what I have seen and heard about the Liquid Foot controllers. Chas from Joshua Tree has one and it seems to fill the bill quite nicely. Particularly if you take into account it does much of what the Skrydstrup (that Edge's uses) does but for far less money.

The Liquid Foot Jr. is great too. Mick from The Unforgettable Fire (U2 tribute from NY) uses the Jr. and it works great for him.

I don't use much rack gear myself. Most of what I do (for now) is with pedals. But I like the idea of putting a ton of my pedal collection in to pedal drawers in a rack that I can control via a controller.

So that might be the direction I go at some point. Plus once's I've the rack I can add some rack gear. I have (2) Korg A3's and I might want to get a D2 delay or even a TC Electronics 2290 at some point.

well i recently bought a 2nd hand ground control pro and gcx(in a rack with drawer etc). its awesome, but i have a feeling the functionality is a bit lacking when compared to the liquid foot. i'll probs upgrade to a liquid foot eventually/if i make it big :p

i found the whole midi thing overwhelming to begin with, but i spent some time with it and now i get it :) the gcx is an awesome unit and i run my analog pedals in that, then into my m13 which i also control with the GCpro.

well i recently bought a 2nd hand ground control pro and gcx(in a rack with drawer etc). its awesome, but i have a feeling the functionality is a bit lacking when compared to the liquid foot. i'll probs upgrade to a liquid foot eventually/if i make it big :p

i found the whole midi thing overwhelming to begin with, but i spent some time with it and now i get it :) the gcx is an awesome unit and i run my analog pedals in that, then into my m13 which i also control with the GCpro.

Ground Control isn't a horrible unit but I know a few that upgraded from Ground Control units to Liquid Foot and have loved the Liquid Foot. Highly recommended.

You don't have to 'make it' to have decent gear. Might have to save up for a bit but the wait will be worth it.

Ground Control isn't a horrible unit but I know a few that upgraded from Ground Control units to Liquid Foot and have loved the Liquid Foot. Highly recommended.

You don't have to 'make it' to have decent gear. Might have to save up for a bit but the wait will be worth it.

I agree with your last point, but i feel that if i dont "make it" (and lets face it, thats more then probable!) the GC will be more the sufficient.

What are the limitations of the GC that you've heard of?

I agree with your last point, but i feel that if i dont "make it" (and lets face it, thats more then probable!) the GC will be more the sufficient.

What are the limitations of the GC that you've heard of?

Don't remember. Friend of mine had both and rattled off a few things before. I will ask her again and see what she says. Not sure if it's 'limitations' more than that the LF can do more... which I guess by defalt makes that a 'limitation' for the GC.

And NO - you can't have one of my Korg A3's. :D

all good, i'm sure i'll find one on fleabay or something :)

are they really all they're cracked up to be? and they're fully midi switchable? does edge still use them or were they only used during the achtung/zooropa era??

all good, i'm sure i'll find one on fleabay or something :)

are they really all they're cracked up to be? and they're fully midi switchable? does edge still use them or were they only used during the achtung/zooropa era??

They are great units with loads of great tones.

If you get one you need the SPC-01 card. The unit alone does not have the AB/Zooropa sounds, unless someone loaded them. But even if you buy one on ebay and it doesn't have the card, you can DL the patches from korgaseries.org: home - et voila - problem solved.

Edge still uses the A3. But it is mostly for AB/Zooropa era tones, "Mysterious Ways" comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom