Mic to record

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Hi, guys,

Im hearing a lot about mic making difference, which makes sense.
I wonder what the Edge uses for the pics (which looks like a vocal miss, for some reason) and what's great options you guys use within the smaller budget.
It's true that a lot of people will mindlessly uses SM57, thou

Did you include any pics? Because if you didn I don't see them.

There's a reason most people use SM57's though. They're dirt cheap and they're literally everywhere. Chances are if your amp will get miked at a concert 99% of the time it will be a SM57 or even an SM58. So it has become the guitar standard mic by default. Personally I prefer using a Senheiser e609 though. Which seems to be in the still affordable price range. But that's because when I was still working at a youth center we had two of those as well, so I could do an A/B test with them.

giant understatement but damn, Dallas Schoo works hard.
great video, always like watching these

either way, you really cannot go wrong with an SM57

SM58's are mainly used for vocals, but if you want to you can use them for anything, including a bar fight. I've played in several venues where SM58's were the only mikes available. You have to keep in mind though, the main appeal of the 58 is not its sound, as there are tons of better microphones for that job out there, but because it is cheap, built like a tank and there are tons and tons of them out there. They're the boss pedals of microphones.

It could be that the mikes are custom modded. I know this guy who owns a bar who has a 58 that sounds gorgeous on guitar amps because he did some tinkering with it.

I've read somewhere about all the gear at IE tour (in terms of audio, not guitars and drums and all), and I've seen Edge using Shure SM57 and 58 for mic'ing amps and Bono using 58 for vocal. Very standard stuff, and I guess they're practical.
I also read about production of NLOTH in SOS and it said that Edge uses Royer r121 or some Sennheiser mic. no way i can afford that Royer mic as it's like 2000 bucks. So i guess Edge isn't really fanatic about mic in live situation after all.

and what's great options you guys use within the smaller budget.

can't think of a better budget mic than a Pyle Pro PDMIC78. it's basically an exact copy of an SM57 for a fraction of the price.

Took the "risk" with one recently and was really surprised! just as sturdy and can't tell the difference really. Considering buying a few more for recording with my band as there's really nothing to lose for that price. Could buy a stack of them for the studio for the same price as just one genuine SM57 :lol:

can't think of a better budget mic than a Pyle Pro PDMIC78. it's basically an exact copy of an SM57 for a fraction of the price.

Took the "risk" with one recently and was really surprised! just as sturdy and can't tell the difference really. Considering buying a few more for recording with my band as there's really nothing to lose for that price. Could buy a stack of them for the studio for the same price as just one genuine SM57 :lol:

Wow the review is great and actually, that price! cant believe it's that cheap and it sounds decent according to punch of reviewers (I recently saw the demo of Royer mic on YouTube and they do sound nice. not that it'll worth 1000 bucks or anything).

yeah, seriously give it a go sometime! :up:

I just bought the SM58 equivalent so I'm looking forwarding to replacing the, quite frankly, embarrassing microphone from Maplin I had to use at rehearsals as a stop gap because we didn't have enough SM58s to go around :lol:

Last edited:
I use an SM58 for mic'ing all my stringed instruments and a blue microphones bluebird condenser for all vocals. They both get the job done!

In my opinion I am in love with a SM57. They are the standard guitar mic and they are built like a tank. I've been using 57s for guitar for around 5 years now and used to use them on drums too when I used to record drums. They are well constructed and you can be confident they're not gonna break.

The main reason the 57 is so popular for miking a guitar amp is its frequency response. The 57 rolls off a lot of the lows that you don't really need for electric guitar and has a good midrange response that is perfect for guitar and snare drums. It also captures the higher frequencies well. 57s can also take a lot of volume before clipping. They're robust, affordable, and overall just a great dynamic mic and I'd say you can't really go wrong with one.

Also I believe the 57 and 58 are similar, if not the same, mic with the exception of the 58 having the wind scren filter thing. They may have a slightly different frequency response but for the most part the 57 and 58 are very similar to each other

Back
Top Bottom