Mexican Strat Price Increase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just buy a used one. They are all over the place on Ebay and Craigslist. I bought my 2002 Mexican Telecaster off of Craigslist for $100 with a gigbag, and it was in showroom condition.

Used MIM stuff abounds.

Fender raised their prices across the board last February, though I think they may have rolled them back a little bit since then. But yeah, all new Fenders are more expensive than they were a few years ago.

I was told by a wise friend that that only difference between an American Strat and a Mexican Strat was that the Mexican Strat is made in Mexico by Mexicans whereas the American Strat is made in America... by Mexicans.

I was told by a wise friend that that only difference between an American Strat and a Mexican Strat was that the Mexican Strat is made in Mexico by Mexicans whereas the American Strat is made in America... by Mexicans.

Probably true...

American Strat built in America by those making probably a bit better than minimum wage and with some health benefits.

MIM Strat built by workers probably with no insurance and not being paid near US minimum wage.

I have also heard that the manufacturing location is the only difference, and that American and Mexican Fenders are both made from the same pool of parts.

The Classic Vibe series has gotten awesome reviews across the board for all of their models, as far as I can tell. I've held the 50's model CV Strat for about 10 seconds before but didn't have a chance to plug it in. Anyway, it felt fine, and the vast majority of the reviews I've read about all of the CV guitars say that they're all amazing for the price.

I think they've been selling fairly well as is. I haven't played many Squiers, but the handful I have played sounded fine to me, but by all accounts the Classic Vibe series of Squiers is as good as MIM Fenders.

Just say NO to Squier.

(HECK NO!!!!)
Typical Squiers are Agathis with ceramic pickups. The Classic Vibe is Alder with Alnico IIIs, the same as American Strats. I've been thinking that just because a company makes a low-end guitar doesn't nessessarally mean that they are'nt capable of also making a good guitar. So saying no to Squier isn't really fair.

Right, like I said, I've read tons of reviews of the CV line from many different places, and they are unanimously said to be great guitars.

I've been thinking that just because a company makes a low-end guitar doesn't nessessarally mean that they are'nt capable of also making a good guitar. So saying no to Squier isn't really fair.

Bingo. Given the manufacturing quality around the world these days, you have to look much harder to find a bad guitar than you do to find a good one.

It's been said that all electric guitars are $300, and the rest is marketing. That number may or may not be true, but I agree with the spirit of it.

Bingo. Given the manufacturing quality around the world these days, you have to look much harder to find a bad guitar than you do to find a good one.

It's been said that all electric guitars are $300, and the rest is marketing. That number may or may not be true, but I agree with the spirit of it.
The most obvious example of this would probably be Mexican and American strats. The pickups are just about the only difference and the $1000 price gap hardly worh the cost of pickups.

I like my Mexican real Fender stuff just dandy. :shrug: Only gear snobs really care (I'm one of them, but I don't even care between Mexican and American--just between British and Chinese when it comes to VOX). If it plays well and sounds good, go for the Squier. And if you're embarrassed of the brand, just buy a Fender headstock. :wink:

Honestly, just go to the store and play one, and if you like the way it feels and sounds then to hell with the brand. Having met and spoken to Les Paul in person, he even says that you can't buy a bad guitar these days and that a person looking to buy one should just go to the store, play a bunch of guitars with their eyes closed, and buy the one that feels good without looking at it.

Another point to remember is all those Japanese knockoffs of LPs and Strats and Teles that were made in the 70s that are generally considered some of the finest guitars ever made. They certainly blew the doors off of what Gibson and Fender were making in that era for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom