MERGED ----> Guitar Tablature Archive? + The U2 Guitar Tab Archive Is Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infrared

Babyface
Guitar Tablature Archive?

What happened to the tab archive? The [Tabs} link here on the forums page just redirects to the main page ...

Or is it just me?

I sent an e-mail to one of the people on contacts list; we'll see what happens, I guess.

We've been forced by Universal Publishing to remove the Lyrics Archive and Guitar Archive. Its just a matter of time until they go after the other sites with them as well.

discothequeLP said:

Apparently because U2 signed an exclusive deal with Universal Publishing, and UP has the publishing rights... and the rights to enforce copyright of compositions (which include lyrics and tabs). So unless we, and other fan sites, want to license them for $$$$ they'll all slowly vanish off the net. According to them, even linking to them on another site now violates copyright law as 'distribution' and they are willing to pursue legal action in order to enforce this. lame.

Any possibility of being able to download the entire archive through you-send-it links?

Try this:

(link removed by me... i will e-mail it to anyone who wants)

Last edited:
Now, I don't know a whole lot about copyrights or anything, but...

Aren't most of the tabs on the Guitar Archive simply peoples' own interpretations of how the music is played? I could understand if Universal asked that tabs from say, The U2 Songbook were removed. But alot of people spent alot of time figuring out tabs and chords.

Olga.net states that "This file is the author's own work and represents their interpretation of the song." So I'm not sure I understand how Universal can demand that *all* tabs be removed.

:shrug:

</rant>

maro_chik said:
Now, I don't know a whole lot about copyrights or anything, but...

Aren't most of the tabs on the Guitar Archive simply peoples' own interpretations of how the music is played? I could understand if Universal asked that tabs from say, The U2 Songbook were removed. But alot of people spent alot of time figuring out tabs and chords.

Olga.net states that "This file is the author's own work and represents their interpretation of the song." So I'm not sure I understand how Universal can demand that *all* tabs be removed.

:shrug:

</rant>

olga.net is misinformed.

All the tabs and lyrics, although transcribed by someone , even if different from the original 'composition' are indeed derivative works of the 'composition' and therefore are copyright U2. If you're angry about this... feel free to contact PM (propaganda@numb.ie) or Universal publishing (located in Santa Monica, CA --- look it up in the phone book(online)).

DAMN THE MAN!! SAVE THE ARCHIVE!!!

aaaahhh man this SUCKS GOAT DICK!! I've been using the U2 guitar archive site for the past 6 years!!! anyting we can do to get it up and running again???

Last edited:
Elvis said:

olga.net is misinformed.

All the tabs and lyrics, although transcribed by someone , even if different from the original 'composition' are indeed derivative works of the 'composition' and therefore are copyright U2. If you're angry about this... feel free to contact PM (propaganda@numb.ie) or Universal publishing (located in Santa Monica, CA --- look it up in the phone book(online)).
Oh, I'm by no means angry. (Although I might have seemed angry at the time... :shifty: ) I was just misinformed, like Olga.

But thanks for clearing that up. :up:

Sad to see the archives go though... :(

Dammit! Just as I needed the tabs for a few songs for a performance in a few weeks.....

Can anyone send me tabs for "Christmas, Baby Please come home," "Peace on Earth," and "Walk on"? Thanks! Just PM me if you can.

Please tell me Universal isn't going to close down this forum and the EBTTRT. I'd probably stop coming here if that happens.

I don't have premium status or whatever... so I can't send PM's. And I have a link to the archive, but I'm not sure it would be wise to post it as they have been asked to take it down... so if you want the link, post your e-mail address and I'll mail it to you.

stoven said:
I don't have premium status or whatever... so I can't send PM's. And I have a link to the archive, but I'm not sure it would be wise to post it as they have been asked to take it down... so if you want the link, post your e-mail address and I'll mail it to you.

I'd love a link to the archive, if you could please send it to malopez2@vt.edu

Thanks so much!

Please send

Please mail me the link too: coldstar517@hotmail.com

I wonder if there's some way to actually inform the members of U2 that Universal is doing this... Doesn't seem like the kind of thing Bono would approve of. In fact, it seems more like the kind of thing that might cause him to call up Universal and tell them to keep their #@8$ing lawyers under control.

Sad that record companies have to resort crap like this just so they can hold onto their anachronistic ways of dealing with music distribution, instead of just joining the 21st century with the rest of us...

Back
Top Bottom