ME-50 vs. "the Pod"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinball Wizard

Refugee
If anyone knows what I'm talking about, would you mind giving your opinion on the comparison... or possibly suggestions for alternatives. I'm looking to get a distortion effects set-up, and these seem to be the main all-in-one contenders...

Thanks

:up:

The Pod is definitely the big name among such effects units, but there are quite a few others out there that arent bad.

My roommate bought a Digitech Genesis 3 that sounds really nice. I think he spent quite a bit less than a POD would have cost him too.

I dont really know too much abouit these effects units anymore (I can only remember playing my guitar like twice this year), but your local guitar center hippie employee may. (he also may be a total knob job and try to sell you any and everything)

I have no idea about either the pod or the other thing but, having looked into this very question a year ago after my own separate pedals were lost at a gig, my general feeling is that the cheap and mid-range all in ones tend do some things quite well, some things not so well, and quite a lot of things fairly badly... I would suggest either getting a number of individual effects units which do exactly what it is you want such as those made by Boss, Roland and so on, or getting ready to spend a good wodge of cash on one of the higher end all in ones... the singer/2nd guitarist of the band I'm in uses the Boss Gt-3 (high-end all in one with amp simulator) direct into the PA without an onstage amp and that is pretty good I must say, though the sounds he wants are not particularly complex. The main guitarist uses the effects system built into his Vox Valvetronix amp for most of the effects but also makes use of a Korg rack delay unit and one or two other bits and pieces that the Vox doesn't do so well, that sounds pretty good too. He was using a Line 6 all in one before which was OK but definitely did not sound as good. I am the bass guy and I think losing my pedals was the best thing that ever happened to my sound... the only pedals I use now are a tuner and the sub-octaver the amp provides... Nice bass and nice amp/cab = great sound!

Mick

Thanks Mick, Mofo, and Chizzer... as always your input is much appreciated.

Being not so familiar with individual effects I thought it would be best to get a holistic system... one that would afford me to experiment with different things. The ME-50 is about 400 Canadian dollars, which is within reason. The hippie knob jobs tell me that it will give me every sound I'd ever want live... and it is less troublesome to use in a performance setting than the manually demanding POD.

I'm leaning towards the ME-50... I was just wondering if anyone had reservations about this particular effect modulator.

Thanks again

:up:

I'd do a quick google search on it which includes the word "review" if you haven't already. You'll probably find out quite a lot that way, it's the first thing I do when I'm considering a new musical equipment purchase... good luck, tell us how you get on.

For what it's worth I've generally been pleased with the Boss products I've owned... hope that helps.

Mick

The ME-50 works with an amp, the POD not so much

The POD is an amp/speaker modeller with effects. The ME-50 is an effects box with NO amp and speaker modelling. The ME-50 is designed to go in front of a guitar amp. The POD replaces a guitar amp and effects. The ME-50 has quite a few overdrive/distortion stompbox "models". The POD has none (that I know of), but models amps.
So depends what you need/want. with the ME-50 you can create/store patches and turn efx on/off within those patches. It works sorta like a bunch of separate pedals. With the POD, you'll need to program it and you'll need the Floorboard for live work. With the floorboard you can turn efx on/off too.
So, do you want to replace an amp/speaker/efx with one box that connects directly to the PA, or do you want to add some efx to your guitar amp?
Check www.harmony-central.com for reviews.

Thanks Muddy, if I can call you Muddy.

I have looked on harmony a fair bit in the past and it has been helpful. Problem is most of the reviews are pretty positive from both ends, as the people who bought them had their special purposes in mind.

But in my case I'm looking for something to add on to my pre-existing amps (Roland Chorus, Roland Cube)... they're nothing special, but it sounds as if the ME-50 works well through any outlet.

Thanks again for everyone's help... I put a down payment on an ME-50 yesterday. Apparently in the musician's world it's the hottest item of the moment. Stupid trends.

cheers,

cujo

Back
Top Bottom