Magnificent M13 settings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfo

Babyface
Anybody got The verse sound with this pedalboard?
I can get it, The octoverb doesnt do it neither The pitch gllide . Or doo you have a setting whch implie them and soundsbgrate??
And does sunday bloody sunday have delay, ive listened to
old joshua tree Live versión where you can Hear The delay, in The nain riff at The begining, but only at The begining and not The rest of it but eg in slane, i cant hear The delay anywhere...
Delay or not delay, thats The question
than uuu!!!

:up:
I see...
nobody know? or everybody know the answer, so these are stupid questions??
Maybe, am I in the wrong place?

Delay in Sunday Bloody Sunday...:hmm:
thanks again:heart::heart:

During the 90's there was quite a long but very quite delay, nowadays the delay is somewhere around 43ms, just enough so it thickens the note.

Some say throughout the song, but I've heard contrary reports from people at the Vertigo Tour who "stalked" Edge's rig and could not make out any switches on the TC/Korg until the strumming part at the end of the solo kicks in. There, you hear an obvious delay.

I personally like to have a 43ms throughout the song and like a very quite delay around 310ms for the strumming. You'll hear it click right in with the right strumming pattern if done correctly.

The main verse sound, Edge used the Electro-Harmonix POG. (He used the POG alot on the NLOTH album).

electro-harmonix_POG_orig_1145.jpg

Edge's:
u2001-1.jpg

I'm not sure if you can accurately get that sound with a M13.

Here's some info on the POG and it's controls and specs:
Electro-harmonix POG Polyphonic Octave Generator can simultaneously generate multiple octaves from your input signal. Whether you play single notes, arpeggios or full chords, the POG will track every note you play. With the POG you can mix together your original ‘dry signal’ with three different octaves - one above, two above and one below your original note. You can also mix detuned versions of both the +1 octave and +2 octaves. At the end of the chain is a low pass filter to further tailor your sound.

INPUT Slider - Controls the amplitude of the input signal before entering the A/D converter. The gain increases as the slider is pushed upward.

DRY OUTPUT Slider - Controls the output volume of your original, unaffected dry signal before it exits the POG.

SUB OCTAVE Slider - Controls the output volume of the Sub Octave signal. The Sub Octave is one octave below the original signal, which is half the frequency of the input signal. As this slider is pushed upward, the volume of the Sub Octave will increase.

+1 OCTAVE Slider - Controls the output volume of the +1 Octave signal.

+1 OCTAVE DETUNED Slider - Controls the output volume of the +1 Octave Detuned signal. This signal is a modulated, detuned version o the +1 Octave signal.

+2 OCTAVE Slider - Controls the output volume of the +2 Octave Signal.

+2 OCTAVE DETUNED Slider - Controls the output volume of the +2 Octave Detuned signal. This signal is a modulated, detuned version o the +2 Octave signal.

LP FILTER Slider - Controls the cutoff frequency of the Low Pass Filter. As the LP Filter slider is pushed upward, the cutoff frequency of the filter rises. All of the generated octave signals go through the LP Filter.

LPF MODE Slide Switch - This switch selects between three possible modes for the LP Filter.

Mode 1: The dry signal bypasses the LPF. The Q of the LPF is set to 1, low Q.

Mode 2: The dry signal goes through the LPF. The of the LPF is set to 1.

Mode 3: The dry signal goes through the LPF. The Q of the LPF is increased to 2.

With such a detailed spectrum of octave signals you can achieve all kinds of tones from the POG. From 12-string guitar, 18-string guitar, phat bass to organ.

So as you can see, the POG has a lot of variables. There is pitch-shifting in the M13. You might have to use multiple pitch-shifting to get close.

Mick, from Unforgettable Fire was able to get close with an M13.

YouTube - ‪U2 Magnificent Country Gent M13‬‏

Hi friends! :hug:
Thanks for the information and The maserclasses...
Its been very interesting. I Will try The different options in sbs.. And maybe This is The opportunity to récord something and put it here.
I use my american strat in The bridge pick, cutting some highs to imitate telecaster sound in slane, and some screamer, not too much drive, is that right????
Or if I decide to play The original strato versión (R&H), which is The position of The pick selector???
On The other hand i think is complicated to get a decent magnificent verse sound I tried this evening but sounds too digital and The sturm has to be very hard if you do no want to taste The digital noise...
Jejje, The pog is The perfect choice, but cash hAs run away from me.:huh:
So, thanks again!!

The POG is not cheap but it is a lovely effect. You might be able to find one a bit cheaper on eBay.

Cheers

Hi friends! :hug:
Thanks for the information and The maserclasses...
Its been very interesting. I Will try The different options in sbs.. And maybe This is The opportunity to récord something and put it here.
I use my american strat in The bridge pick, cutting some highs to imitate telecaster sound in slane, and some screamer, not too much drive, is that right????
Or if I decide to play The original strato versión (R&H), which is The position of The pick selector???
On The other hand i think is complicated to get a decent magnificent verse sound I tried this evening but sounds too digital and The sturm has to be very hard if you do no want to taste The digital noise...
Jejje, The pog is The perfect choice, but cash hAs run away from me.:huh:
So, thanks again!!

I have an HD500 and use a couple of pitch shifters set to +12 and +24 and the octo reverb. Gets close enough for me.

I was gonna say the same thing. The trick is to have the mix for the +12 turned way down. Then have the +24 mix around halfway. And digital modulated delay.

yeah! it sounds great!!
Thanks again
I love my M13...is there anything you can't do with this stompbox??:D:D
But I still haven't found a triad or a 3kp...

yeah! it sounds great!!
Thanks again
I love my M13...is there anything you can't do with this stompbox??:D:D
But I still haven't found a triad or a 3kp...

M13 doesn't nail the POG. But you can get a facsimile. It's still a bit thin as the POG has more parameters.

The M13 doesn't do a convincing Korg A3 Mysterious Ways.

But that said, You CAN do a lot of U2 tones with a HD 500 or M13.

Skip the Triad. Too hard to get ahold of. The SDD3K pedal is a bit easier to get ahold of. BUT - You might want to hold out as there has been talk of Korg making a SDD3K pedal. And who better to make it than the folks that made the original? (At least, one would think they might make a great one. Keep your eyes peeled for that)

You actually can get an acceptable Mysterious Ways tone from the M13/HD500. It's not exactly the same but does the job.

You actually can get an acceptable Mysterious Ways tone from the M13/HD500. It's not exactly the same but does the job.

Yessss, It really does the job!!!
I recorded this clip with cubase, only a little reverb...
The EQ could be better and a little more flager is needed., but i dont think I need a Korg A3 :D

The gear used is a fender american strat (bridge position pickup), M13 and a vox ac30CC upgraded to celestion blue and TAD tubes...
YouTube - ‪Mysterious Ways M13.wmv‬‏

Yessss, It really does the job!!!
I recorded this clip with cubase, only a little reverb...
The EQ could be better and a little more flager is needed., but i dont think I need a Korg A3 :D

The gear used is a fender american strat (bridge position pickup), M13 and a vox ac30CC upgraded to celestion blue and TAD tubes...
YouTube - ‪Mysterious Ways M13.wmv‬‏

I respectfully disagree. It doesn't have the depth in tone nor the 'growl' of the A3.

But it it works to yours ears, that is all that matters

Yeah it's not exactly the same, but as with the Pog, I think it's close enough that you don't need to spend buckets of cash on a unit just for one song. Good effort with the clip.

Yeah it's not exactly the same, but as with the Pog, I think it's close enough that you don't need to spend buckets of cash on a unit just for one song. Good effort with the clip.

Once again, I respectfully disagree. But again, if it works for you, that is what matters.

It's not buckets of cash. Korg A3 is between $180 and $300. POG can be had for $325 or less. And one can get them cheaper on the 2nd-hand market (eBay, Craigslist...)

Don't get me wrong, the Line 6 M13 and HD 500 can get you a ton of U2 tones. But there are a few things where alternative gear doesn't quite nail the tones.

Have to agree w/ Edge Orchestra. Good effort for trying, but the A3 sound is unfortunately/fortunately(?) one-of-a-kind. The Discombobulator, which is probably one of the best Auto-wah's, might also get some interesting sounds, but the A3 has an incredible depth, warmth and something fuzzy about it that you can't replicate.

And looking at the A3 as "spending buckets of cash for just one song" is wrong: The A3 will get you plenty of other tones (not only U2's early 90's era) and is definitely worth the buy, considering you can pick it up at 150USD still, which is a very reasonable price for "vintage" material.

Hi friends...
I know is not the SAME tone, and I know you can get it exactly without the A3 becouse the Discombobulator is a very specific effect...
I wanted to demostrate that with the M13, my actual gear, the Mysterious ways tone is imo very close to the original... but only close to..
The korg is not a expensive unit, but I am one of those 5 million of unemployed (within a population of 40 million) of Spain...:sad: maybe later...

Well to me that's a lot of money for two units. With the A3, the only other songs it's used on that I know of are The Fly, Numb and possibly the intro to Zoo station. Mysterious Ways is really the one that's tough to replicate on other gear and I think the Pod/M13 have enough tweakable settings that you can get something usable.

I wasn't referring to what other sounds the A3 can do, I was talking about just U2 songs and as far as that goes, $150 is too much to play Mysterious Ways. As is $300 for a POG for Magnificent.

Well to me that's a lot of money for two units. With the A3, the only other songs it's used on that I know of are The Fly, Numb and possibly the intro to Zoo station. Mysterious Ways is really the one that's tough to replicate on other gear and I think the Pod/M13 have enough tweakable settings that you can get something usable.

I wasn't referring to what other sounds the A3 can do, I was talking about just U2 songs and as far as that goes, $150 is too much to play Mysterious Ways. As is $300 for a POG for Magnificent.

"$150 is too much to play Mysterious Ways. As is $300 for a POG for Magnificent".

It is up to each what they are willing to spend. But truth be told, your statement above is inaccurate. The A3 and POG are used on much more than a song each.

A3 is on a number of Achtung and Zooropa tracks. And the POG is on Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, I'll Go Crazy, Moment of Surrender...

Hi friends...
I know is not the SAME tone, and I know you can get it exactly without the A3 becouse the Discombobulator is a very specific effect...
I wanted to demostrate that with the M13, my actual gear, the Mysterious ways tone is imo very close to the original... but only close to..
The korg is not a expensive unit, but I am one of those 5 million of unemployed (within a population of 40 million) of Spain...:sad: maybe later...

The Discumbobulator doesn't have the sweep of the A3 Funk Wah, The Growl isn't quite there. It's the closest of that tone from a pedal but the pedal is not presently made. The Discumbobulator cost $200+ if you can find one on the 2nd hand market. For that, why not get an A3 and got loads more U2 tones?

The Discumbobulator doesn't have the sweep of the A3 Funk Wah, The Growl isn't quite there. It's the closest of that tone from a pedal but the pedal is not presently made. The Discumbobulator cost $200+ if you can find one on the 2nd hand market. For that, why not get an A3 and got loads more U2 tones?

Sorry, i thought that The discumbobulator was The name of The effect we aré talking about in The a3...
Fnally, Im agree with all you have said about The Korg A3 (The authentic sound and all those kind of things) but what it really sounds bad is The sentence "if it works to your ears"...
should be better something like "is not bad..." "keep on trying..." " you aré in The
way..but better with The A3..."....
I say all this respectfuly, of course...
Im sure that Im gonna need your help in The future...:D

You're missing the point mate, im talking about sounds that you can't really get from alternative units. The only two are Mysterious Ways and Magnificent and I believe that you can get a good approximation of both. Of course it's up to what a person is willing to spend, im just posting my perspective on it.

You're missing the point mate, im talking about sounds that you can't really get from alternative units. The only two are Mysterious Ways and Magnificent and I believe that you can get a good approximation of both. Of course it's up to what a person is willing to spend, im just posting my perspective on it.

Is that last message for me? am I wrong?
Becouse I agree with all you have said my friend...
My last message is for Edge orchestra..

We're talking at cross purposes: We all acknowledge that it's it's a good effort and that it's obviously not the same as the A3, but if one likes it or not (as said, I'm not a fan either) is completely down to personal taste. If you're happy with the result, that's all that counts!

And as mentioned: Stating that the A3 is JUST for Mysterious Ways is simply not true! It's still a multi-FX device w/ mod delay, distortion, phaser, flanger, chorus, autowah, etc. and even if you don't use it for U2 stuff (MW, Zoo Station, The Fly, Numb, Lady with the spinning head...which are all A3 products!) it's still a great rack device for that sort of money!

We're talking at cross purposes: We all acknowledge that it's it's a good effort and that it's obviously not the same as the A3, but if one likes it or not (as said, I'm not a fan either) is completely down to personal taste. If you're happy with the result, that's all that counts!

And as mentioned: Stating that the A3 is JUST for Mysterious Ways is simply not true! It's still a multi-FX device w/ mod delay, distortion, phaser, flanger, chorus, autowah, etc. and even if you don't use it for U2 stuff (MW, Zoo Station, The Fly, Numb, Lady with the spinning head...which are all A3 products!) it's still a great rack device for that sort of money!

Precisely.

Dude like I've already said, im talking about U2 sounds that are hard to get from alternative units not what other effects the A3 is capable of. I also never said it's a bad unit, not sure where you read that.

Back
Top Bottom