looking for the right combo of equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloserToKnowing

Acrobat
hey all,
Been playing an acoustic for a while... want to get an electric soon and start to recreate some of Edge's sound. I've done some searches on here, but was hoping some of the experts out there could lend a hand...

Here's the deal... obviously I want to recreate as much of the Edge's sound as possible. I still haven't decided between a Strat and a LesPaul. My favorite songs are Pride, Bad, Streets and ISHFWILF. I know that favors the Strat.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good "starter" setup, to get me going on at least those sounds? Budget wise I'd initially stay within a few hundred bucks, plus the cost of the guitar.

Additionally, I was watching the video that Dallas Schoo was in where he was discussing Edge's sound. The Orchestal sound he was strumming with ISHFWILF sounded really cool and was also wondering what effect/equipment was used there...

Thanks in advance guys... I know you probably answer the same questions over and over again.

Love and Peace! Or Else!

CTK

Guitar wise I would recommend to you to have a look at the various models of Variax guitars, at line6 (dot) com. Those guitars are design to model various famous guitars and work very well.

If you definitely want an amp, I guess your best bet would be the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, which would give you a wider plethora of sounds.

In my case I don't have an amp, I use a PodXT Live from Line6 and connect directly to the computers or use earphones. That option gives you also a lot more options of chaining effects and various amps.

In a perfect world we all would use vintage equipment maintained by an army of luthier dwarves. Until that I find that "modelling" equipment is a very value/price good option.

Hope that helps.

personally, i would go for a squire strat and a ad30vt vox like what acrowire said. effectswise, the zoom g2.1u is a pretty decent bit of kit for a tight budget.
i dont know how much that would all be in us dollars though as im from the uk

For amps, get a used Peavey Classic 30. The clean sounds on that amp are good sound-alikes for the Vox AC30s that Edge uses. They often go for under $400.

For effects, you want two things that will give you the greatest flexibility when trying to sound like the Edge.

A Korg A3 processor (can be had on Ebay for between $100 and $150, usually) and a modulated delay unit. Rolands are a good substitute for the Korgs, and are often listed on Ebay under $125. I got mine for $100.

For the orchestral effect, you probably want to look for a Digitech IPS-33B, DHP-33, or DHP-55. They're all effective and are relatively reasonably priced around $150 or so, depending on which one. The DHP55 is the newest and also usually the cheapest for some reason (has to do with the chipset inside). I have one, though, and it works fine.

If you price all that out together, you'll end up somewhere around $800 to $900, but the good thing is that all of that stuff is just plain good gear, and you can use it for pretty much anything.

I run an electric mandolin through my rack most of the time, and play more Steely Dan and the Who than U2, but I can still get a good solid Edge sound when I want to.

Remember that with a little care, too, you can get an Edge sound out of a lot of different things.

I actually would caution against the modeling amps, only because if something goes bad on them, it's a hell of a lot harder to get that one thing replaced/repaired.

Tube amps are simple, and the single-space rack units are relatively inexpensive - heck, an A3 is less costly than a Memory Man Deluxe by $100 or more.

The Valvetronix seems like a good idea, but in the long run you'll benefit more from spending the extra $$$ to get a combination of gear that is less expensive to repair or replace.

CloserToKnowing said:

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good "starter" setup, to get me going on at least those sounds? Budget wise I'd initially stay within a few hundred bucks, plus the cost of the guitar.

Additionally, I was watching the video that Dallas Schoo was in where he was discussing Edge's sound. The Orchestal sound he was strumming with ISHFWILF sounded really cool and was also wondering what effect/equipment was used there...

Thanks in advance guys... I know you probably answer the same questions over and over again.

Love and Peace! Or Else!

CTK

The orchestral sound you heard is called shimmer. Besides the above mentioned rack units the Line6 verbzilla pedal does it also. And you don't need to scrounge E-Bay for as it's still in production.

But for starters I think the best thing you can do is get a good tube amp. Don't settle for less, you'll want one eventually anyway. Like I always say, a crap guitar on a good amp will still sound decent, a good guitar on a crap amp will still sound crap. Don't worry about effects yet if your budget is tight, first things first, start with the foundation of your sound, the amp.

Amp ->cables -> guitar -> effects. In that order should you get your stuff. And don't be cheap on the cables because they influence your sound more then you think.

I would recomend a half decent strat a vox ac30 line 6 dm4 and korg sdd2000 delay this will get you close to 80% of u2 songs

Back
Top Bottom