LMJ's latest drum kit...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know so much about drums, that kit is beautiful, and as Japanese guy, Im happy to see Japanese companies like Yamaha is used worldwide.

Larry is gear-loyal. He's played Yamaha kits since 1982 - and Paiste cymbals for as long or longer.

That said, he does have a replica of Ringo's Ludwig kit. He's used that some in the studio. And I remember seeing some Zildjian cymbals on that Ludwig kit during the NLOTH sessions. But once the 360 tour hit - it was Yamaha kits/ Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum.

The Black Beauty was new for 360. Previous to that, he'd been playing Brady (Australian company) snare drums since the1989 Love Town tour.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

So, Larry gets endorsement and royal to the brand while the Edge is...well, liberal about what he's using? Has the Edge officially endorsed by certain companies? Because I see his names on Line 6 and Fernandes website, but I don't think he gets money for it.

An endorsement with music gear manufacturers is more about gear and service than money.

In Larry's case, he get 'x' amount of drums / cymbals / sticks - plus service and replacement for some items during a tour - from the manufacturers (Yamaha, Paiste, Promark).

As for The Edge, sites have post Edge as using some of their gear, the last endorsement advert I've seen withEdge was guitar string ads leading back to the 1980's.

Edge uses a variety of manufacturers gear. So in that, he doesn't have exclusive deals. It's also why there hasn't been an Edge-model guitar - and probably won't ever be one.

The Music
Rising LP was a charity inspired guitar and not a signature model. Gibson has approached Edge and Dallas about a signature Explorer, but thus far they've declined - and for good reason. I got to talk to Dallas about this and he said they could try to make it look the same but it would be quite the same. The wood wouldn't be exact as to his 1976's....

Case in point - Look at the cloned 1975 LP Gibson made. It looked the part, down to the scratches. But Dallas said it didn't sound the same as the auctioned 1975. Hence, it was played on "Walk On" and "Unknown Caller" on the last tour - and "...Caller" was out of the set by 2010.

If Edge were to release hot-rodded Strat (like 2 hot-rails and JB jr. with locking trem with some sort of internal effect units like delay, modulation and boost), I may buy one. But I know he won't do that, so .

I lloked the yamaha website. Its the same yamaha he always use. The Stage Custom Birch. The colour change

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

Do you have a direct link, Rockhound? It seems your information may be incorrect there. I looked at the Yamaha site. While Larry's name is listed, it was not a 'clickable' link to his setup. This leads me to believe that they are updating their information.

My information came directly from my contact at Yamaha. It was the same person that that has provided me accurate information in the past, regarding Larry's Yamaha kit use.

Some Tour By Tour LMJ kit history

Larry's kits have not all been birch with merely the finish color changing. That information is not accurate.

• Larry's present kit is the aforementioned Yamaha Absolute Maple Hybrid kit.
  • Larry's 360 kit was a (then new model) PHX series kit. (Characteristics: The shells of the PHX are 11-ply hybrid shells. The woods used are progressively harder from the center ply to the outer plies. The center ply is jatoba; this is a very hard wood' and it "anchors" the fundamental of the shell. Sandwiched on either side of this is kapur. This wood is in the mahogany family and adds warmth to the sound of the drum. The inner and outer plies are maple, except in the case of drums using the optional burled ash outer ply. These drums use an outer half-ply each of maple and burled ash. Maple rounds out the tone adding high and mid frequencies to the shell.)
  • Larry's Vertigo kit was a (then new model) Absolute Beech Custom
  • Larry's Elevation kit was a Beech Custom kit (variation from the later Absolute Beech model).
  • Larry's Pop era kit was a 30th Anniversary Maple Custom kit. (Each drum being a different color sparkle finish) - The B-Stage kit being a white sparkle finish.
  • Larry's ZOO era kit when from a Turbo Tour Custom kit (during the ZOOTV and OUTSIDE BROADCAST dates), to a Maple Custom kit (by the time of the Zooropa shows). (The turbo tour kit of the Zoo tours were standard, not Power tom sizes)
  • Larry's Joshua Tree and Love Town kits, were a Power Turbo Tour kit. Turbo tour kits were a Birch/Mahogany/Birch hybrid ply shell.
  • Larry's UF tour kit was the 100% birch Recording Series drums.
  • Larry's mid-1982 through War era kit was a Yamaha Recording Series kit.

Previous to this, and up to the first part of the 1982 festival shows, Larry was playing a Tama FibreStar kit

So as you can see, the claim he's used birch kits and that the only thing to change has been the finish, is not accurate.

For further identification of LMJs current kit - check the drum badge on the pictures of Larry's kit and compare

They match those of the Yamaha Maple Hybrid kit (as mentioned) and not that of the Stage Birch kit.

For the record Larry Mullen Jr. is not endorsed by Promark. I FB messaged Promark as to why Larry Mullen wasn't listed as an artist and got a very nice reply back. Promark informed me that Mullen purchases his drumsticks like everyone else, but has been very loyal to using only Promark.

For the record Larry Mullen Jr. is not endorsed by Promark. I FB messaged Promark as to why Larry Mullen wasn't listed as an artist and got a very nice reply back. Promark informed me that Mullen purchases his drumsticks like everyone else, but has been very loyal to using only Promark.

He gets them at a reduced cost, if not at cost like any endorsee.

So official endorsee? Perhaps not. That hardly matters. What is evident is that there is a long standing professional relationship. And that relationship seems close to the same as his relationships with Paiste and Yamaha.

When is e last time Larry has been in a Yamaha advert? Only one I remember is from The Joshua Tree era.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom