Live backing tracks question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrTheEdge1996

Babyface
We all know U2 use sequencers and backing tracks along with clicks, and I want to know how they manage to gear it so the crowd only hear the backing tracks (and not the click tracks) through the PA speakers, but the band can still hear both together.

Also, how come on some older (90's) concert bootlegs (audience recordings) you can actually hear the click track slightly through the PA?

If anyone could answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated...

MrTheEdge1996, I can tell you how we do it in my U2 tribute ...

First, depending on the venue, we will run the tracks either mono or stereo. In all cases, our drummer Davin is always in control of the backing tracks.

For venues that run a mono FOH ...
Davin has a Macbook Pro next to him. All our tracks are in iTunes and he creates an iTunes playlist for the specific show.

Audio comes from the headphone jack. The wire from the Macbook has 1/8" jack at one end and is split into two mono 1/4" jacks at the other end. The left channel is the mono backing track that goes to FOH via a direct box. The right channel is the click track and vocal cues that go to our IEMs.

He also keeps an iPod with the current setlist nearby as a backup in case the laptop fails.

For venues that run a stereo FOH ...
This setup is much more complex but worth it because of the audio quality.

Davin has two Macbook Pro's next to him - one with the mono tracks as described above, which acts a backup. The other runs ProTools.

There are 4 tracks in the Protools rig, audio left track, audio right track, click track and vocal cue track.

Each song is spliced together making one, long track. And each song is referenced by markers in protools with five minute blank gaps between songs. We create a playlist of markers which can be rearranged depending on the setlist.

We use an M-Audio 4 channel audio interface connected to one Macbook via USB. Channels 1 and 2 are the left and right channels of the stereo backing tracks that go to FOH. Channels 3 and 4 are the click track and vocal cue track respectively that go to our IEMs. This enables each member to mix the backing tracks, vocal cues and click separately in our IEMs.

Again, he also keeps an iPod with the current setlist nearby as a backup in case both laptops fails.

Needless to say, the stereo tracks sound amazing live bringing our show to the next level.

You can check out our stage plot and stage input PDFs on our EPK page for more details.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Peace,
Chris of UZoo
u2act.com

MrTheEdge1996, I can tell you how we do it in my U2 tribute ...

First, depending on the venue, we will run the tracks either mono or stereo. In all cases, our drummer Davin is always in control of the backing tracks.

For venues that run a mono FOH ...
Davin has a Macbook Pro next to him. All our tracks are in iTunes and he creates an iTunes playlist for the specific show.

Audio comes from the headphone jack. The wire from the Macbook has 1/8" jack at one end and is split into two mono 1/4" jacks at the other end. The left channel is the mono backing track that goes to FOH via a direct box. The right channel is the click track and vocal cues that go to our IEMs.

He also keeps an iPod with the current setlist nearby as a backup in case the laptop fails.

For venues that run a stereo FOH ...
This setup is much more complex but worth it because of the audio quality.

Davin has two Macbook Pro's next to him - one with the mono tracks as described above, which acts a backup. The other runs ProTools.

There are 4 tracks in the Protools rig, audio left track, audio right track, click track and vocal cue track.

Each song is spliced together making one, long track. And each song is referenced by markers in protools with five minute blank gaps between songs. We create a playlist of markers which can be rearranged depending on the setlist.

We use an M-Audio 4 channel audio interface connected to one Macbook via USB. Channels 1 and 2 are the left and right channels of the stereo backing tracks that go to FOH. Channels 3 and 4 are the click track and vocal cue track respectively that go to our IEMs. This enables each member to mix the backing tracks, vocal cues and click separately in our IEMs.

Again, he also keeps an iPod with the current setlist nearby as a backup in case both laptops fails.

Needless to say, the stereo tracks sound amazing live bringing our show to the next level.

You can check out our stage plot and stage input PDFs on our EPK page for more details.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Peace,
Chris of UZoo
u2act.com

:yes: :up: Nice setup

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom