Line Output Power Level Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill Mike D

War Child
I have a Vox AD15VT that I regularly play through, but all of my recording is done with my Pocket Pod and Zoom G2.1u pedal. The problem is that, while I like both of my effects units, I definitely prefer the amp models that are on my Vox.

However, my Vox does not have the attenuator that the larger ones have, and I live in an apartment in New York, so I can't really crank the master volume to drive the tube fully in an attempt to mic the amp and record that.

So, here's my question:

The Vox amp has a headphone line-out that (I think) goes through the tube portion but obviously bypasses the speaker. If I run my chain like this:

guitar > Vox with master cranked >>line out>> effects pedal > Laptop

Will that do anything bad to my effects pedal? Are they made to receive a high-output signal like that?

The more I think about it, the more I think it'll probably be ok, since the line out can be used with headphones. I'd imagine that if headphones can take it then my multifx pedal can too.

Probably.

I will say this however, I feel that the sound that comes out of the line out of the vox AD series is kinda crap, is it possible for you to be able to record somewhere else?

I will say this however, I feel that the sound that comes out of the line out of the vox AD series is kinda crap, is it possible for you to be able to record somewhere else?

I don't think that's limited to that particular amp. I've always thought line out from any amp sounded like crap. Might as well just get one of those modeler pods or whatever.

I don't think so, the problem is that it bypasses the speaker(s), which is where half your tone comes from.

That makes sense. Hmm. I may have to find a practical way to record my amp, or run it into just a cab model, or something.

It will not harm your effect because what you get from a line out/headphone jack is a signal that comes from the pre-amp section of your amplifier and is not "boosted" by the power section so you should be fine.

I suggest however you switch your order. Plug your guitar into your effects and then the amp, and use the line out for your laptop. You'll be able to crank it then since no sound will come out of the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom