Line 6 DL4 Settings for Various Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cold as a stone

Babyface
I have searched the forum, and I can't find DL4-specific settings for Edge's delay wizardry. I'm a little new to the whole electric guitar and delay pedal thing, so I was wondering if some of you experienced DL4 owners might be able to break it down real simple-like for us newbies. Maybe you could post something along these lines:

Song Name
Delay Type (usually digital, right?)
Delay Time
Repeats
Tweak
Tweez
Mix

I know a lot of people on the forum list the delay time in ms, but I don't know how to convert that over to the DL4, so could you list the dial setting as like 10 o'clock, for example?

I know it's a lot to ask, but I thought maybe we could pool our knowledge together under this thread...thanks in advance!

I don't have a DL4 (still dreaming of getting a 2nd hand Echo Pro instead) but I've tried one once. And why bother with delay times when you can use the tap function instead. Just tap along in rhythm with the song.

Delay type should be digital delay with mod of course, with analog with mod for older songs.

The problem is that the DL4 's tap tempo will only lock the delay into a 1/4 note rhythm to match the tempo. Since many of the delay tempo's Edge uses are 1/8 note and dotted 1/8, the tap tempo in the DL-4 is pretty useless. That is why the DD-20 is a better pedal option.

On the other hand, you can set the Echo Pro to take the tempo and set it to a 1/4 or 1/8 or .1/8 or etc. I have owned two of them. The sound were not that great, but it was not awful. For the price, you might also consider a TC D-Two.

I had a TC D2, it just hasn't impressed me much. The advantage I see over the Echo Pro over the D2 is more different kinds of delay to abuse. A 2nd hand 2290 costs me an arm and a leg. I could get a SDD-2000 but then I only get digital delay with mod. And I'd prefer to use my gear for just more then just U2. Maybe the G-Sharp offers a good cheap alternative.

I agree with you on the idea of more to choose from. Yet, from a U2 sounds standpoint, the modulation delay on the Echo Pro blows, both the Memoryman and their digital modulation models. I was not a big fan of the D-Two but, if you have the patience to program, you can get the TC 2290 tones. I just ended up buying a TC2290.

Although it is not flexible, the SDD2000 is a pretty good unit especially for the price. I think, as guitar players, we get critical of tone because we are paying attention to the smallest detail. ON a bigger scale, I don't think most people would notice a difference in an Echo Pro, SDD2000 or D-Two without focusing their attention specifically on the delay.

Back to the original question, I would still tell you to go with a DD-20 in a pedal or a rack piece if you are looking to use the delay for many different delay times and rhythms. Just something with a ms reading unlike the DL-4, EHMM, or BOSS pedal where you can only turn a knob and hope you get close to what you want.

I received a DL4 for Christmas—whoo hoo! I not only wanted it for the delay features but for the loop option too. That's why I didn't go with another delay pedal for now.

Anyway, I am starting to put together a template that I can print out and lay over the knobs and jot down particular settings for different songs. When I have some put together, I will be happy to share. It will be a slow going process—I don't have a lot of free time to play. But trust that I am making progress, little by little.

In the mean time, I'd love to hear from other people too—their setting suggestions and the like.

More to come.

John

Thanks Chas.

My first list of songs that I am going to create settings for are as follows:

All I Want is You (live Vertigo Tour version)
Bad
Running to Stand Still (live ZooTV tour version)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
and of course Where the Streets Have No Name

I have scoured different places for delay times and now I am trying to figure out how those translate to the DL4—and of course, how they sound to the actual songs! I am hoping that once I come up with these settings, I will create others. I'd eventually like to consider other people's requests, too.

I hope to have something soon.

John

I have the DL4 and i love it. The Loop function is the balls. I also use a Boss DD3. I'm considering going with a memory man.

met1138 said:
Thanks Chas.

I have scoured different places for delay times and now I am trying to figure out how those translate to the DL4—and of course, how they sound to the actual songs! I am hoping that once I come up with these settings, I will create others. I'd eventually like to consider other people's requests, too.

I hope to have something soon.

John

Cool. That's exactly what I'm looking for--this thread immediately turned into a debate on pedals, which isn't why I started it. I'm hoping this thread can be the centralized source for we DL4ers to compare notes and get help from each other.

I have come close to getting the sound from Streets, but it's repeating too many times, even when I turn the repeat knob way down low. As soon as I figure it out, I'll post my settings.

Thanks all for your posts!

Hello again,

Well after a long winter of sickness in the family and a really busy work related spring, I am finally getting back to playing some guitar. I am really hoping to have some of the DL4 settings ready soon. In the meantime, please send me any suggestions—it'd be great to hear what being worked on.

cool--I am looking forward to picking up the ol' guitar again, too, after a nine-month hiatus. I'll post what i can figure out up here! good luck!

Back
Top Bottom