Letterman Gear: Night 4 - "Beautiful Day"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Letterman Gear: Night 4 - "Beautiful Day"

The Edge: 1976 Gibson Explorer
Adam: Fender Jazz bass. (Gold sparkle) / Aguilar cabinets (& Aguilar amp too, me thinks)
Larry: Yamaha Oak Custom drum kit (silver sparkle finish)

Did he really record that on a Les Paul or not?

Well, as most if not all of us were not there... who's to be certain, outside of word from one that was there.

In that, I do have a list of questions, that being one, that has gone off to Dallas.

That said, because it's seen in a video, even if it appears to be in a studio, doesn't guarantee that it was what ended up on the album.

Case in point, Desire:
In Rattle And Hum, Edge is using the White Falcon. In the studio, per Dallas, Les Paul Custom. Listen to both version, they sound different and have different lyrics.

Also keeping in mind that a song has multiple guitar parts in it. It is likely that each can be on various guitars.

Case in point, Kite:
Most of the studio version, per interviews, was a Les Paul Custom but the solo is a Gretsch Country Gentleman.

I think a similar thing might be the case for "Magnificent". In the U2.com videos, he's using a tobacco Telecaster. This can be seen in some of the Fez footage too, if memory serves. But the solo sounds to be the Country Gent... and this might be why he's using the Gretsch Country Gent live.

I really really hear a faint Strat come in on the left channel in Magnificent after the solo.

It's entirely possible.

I don't think that there was a a conscious "No Strats" on this album", plan.

I know there was a Stratocaster in the studio, I remember seeing one on a couch behind a photo of Bono. That said, I've not heard or seen anything that seems to definitely be a Stratocaster.

I'm sure that with a bit more time, and Guitar Player or Guitar World articles... there might be more information on studio use of guitars for the new album.

Back
Top Bottom