Lesser seen Edge guitars...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Lesser seen Edge guitars...

At the 2014 Apple event, we got to see The Edge with the Les Paul Jr. Shame that didn't get used for the tour.

And 2011 Clinton Foundation event The Edge was playing a tobacco finished Gibson 335.

Maybe both of these are here is Los Angeles at his home, and on the ready for video shoots and promo gigs?

Maybe he just got them out for these events to see if they would inspire him?

Whatever the case, it's always fun for me to see The Edge with yet ANOTHER new and interesting guitar.

I'm still somewhat surprised to never have seen Edge play Firebird. Actually, I think he used Danny's for a TV shows once... but other than that...

While the black and white Signature Stratocaster is the one on the market, I hope that the silver Stratocasters still get used. Nice change to see Strats of other colors.

Note to Fender and The Edge - Maybe a limited edition Sherwood Green signature Strat... Like Johnny Marr had with the limited edition Marr Jags? Just sayin'...

I actually want to see other guitars in Gretsch lineup. like Duo Jet or even some Tennesseans? I actually liked the tone he got from Black Falcon and all that, so...im waiting for him to use those guitars more. Because often times, Country Gentleman kinda sounds muffled naturally.

Last edited:
I actually want to see other guitars in Gretsch lineup. like Duo Jet or even some Tennesseans? I actually liked the tone he got from Black Falcon and all that, so...im waiting for him to use those guitars more. Because often times, Country Gentleman kinda sounds muffled naturally.

The black duo jet from the Invisible video would be cool.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Im personally waiting for Edge to whip out some sick-looking Starcaster as a BOD member of Fender. that better happens next leg.

Offset Fender guitars are underrated, imo.

There are some boutique builders like Bilt cloning these and I wish I can afford them as they tend to have better components (like Mastery bridge).

now IM a fan of Nels Cline and he uses good amount of Bilt and Fanos (I think Bilt kinda replaced bunch of Fanos he's used, and he still uses bunch of Fender Jazzmasters) so I am naturally looking up lineup of these companies. Id love to purchase one but I can't really afford them. Also, buying cheap, squire Jazzmaster/jag with Mastery seems like a waste of money, in some sense.

Actually Id love to see Edge using Bilt guitars. I know he can love them.

do you guys know the specs for Edge's Dacade Elites (ones used in Popmart)? i want to know the pups they had and all that. I know that they had sustainers. thats about it, for me.

do you guys know the specs for Edge's Dacade Elites (ones used in Popmart)? i want to know the pups they had and all that. I know that they had sustainers. thats about it, for me.

I'd talked to Fernandes Guitars about Edge's various Sustainers, back around 2002.

Oddly enough, per the dude at Fernandes, the burnt Orange was a stock color. The sea foam was custom.

The pickups were Duncan Hot Rails + The Fernandes Sustainer in the neck position. (Like his Native Pro and RetroRocket)

The Decade series was deleted from the catalog as Fernandes wanted to concentrate on 'new' designs. Maybe Fender complained that they looked TOO Jazzmaster-ish?

The metallic green Native Pro was heavily customized. Legend has it, it was one of the victims of the flood at Hanover Quay in early 2002.

In fact, the day that I spoke to Fernandes Guitars, the guy said he'd just gotten off the phone with Dallas. He'd told him of the flood and ordered the RetroRocket (black with black marble pick guard) that we later saw used during the Vertigo and 360 tours.

With Fernandes having some issues (as a company) and that leading to it being a bit harder to get guitars and replacements... It's easy to see how/why they go to having Stratocaster's built with sustainers in them. Full circle to some extent - with the sustainer guitar now looking similar to the original Brooks Infinite.

but what happen in Ultraviolet? he used neck Pu? if that pickup is the sustainr how can it work?

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

oh so basically all the guitars with sustainers Edge has used basically have Hot Rails (or their equivalent) in the bridge position? interesting. also, didn't Decade have middle pickups? I can imagine Edge not using it, but still.

I really wanted to get some Fernandes guitars for a while but lots of US models aren't available in Japan (lots of Fernandes Japan guitars are straight up copies. nothing wrong with that but I like original-looking US models) and I hear this issue of quality control and availability. At this point, basically buying Schecter with Sustainiac is easier, i assume. Also many of these Fernandes guitars are very metal-looking and thats not....really my taste, really.

(about neck pickup, some people just sacrifice neck pup for sustainer driver and not use it at all but others basically use guitars with HSH type of cavity and chuck another single-coil sized pups under the driver to get neck pup sound when sustainer is not engaged. I think Phil Collen from Def Leppard did that).

oh so basically all the guitars with sustainers Edge has used basically have Hot Rails (or their equivalent) in the bridge position? interesting. also, didn't Decade have middle pickups? I can imagine Edge not using it, but still.

I really wanted to get some Fernandes guitars for a while but lots of US models aren't available in Japan (lots of Fernandes Japan guitars are straight up copies. nothing wrong with that but I like original-looking US models) and I hear this issue of quality control and availability. At this point, basically buying Schecter with Sustainiac is easier, i assume. Also many of these Fernandes guitars are very metal-looking and thats not....really my taste, really.

(about neck pickup, some people just sacrifice neck pup for sustainer driver and not use it at all but others basically use guitars with HSH type of cavity and chuck another single-coil sized pups under the driver to get neck pup sound when sustainer is not engaged. I think Phil Collen from Def Leppard did that).

Decade had (3) pickups.

Yes, Fernandes do make some 'metal-looking' guitars but the RetroRocket Elite looks similar to a Stratocaster.

That said, and with Edge having a membership to the Fender Board of Directors... it's not surprising that he'd have them build him some Stratocaster Sustainer guitars.

I think it'd be cool if Fender worked out a deal with Fernandes to make a second Edge Sustainer Model commercially available.

As for sacrificing the neck pickup... I memory serves... if the Sustainer switches aren't on, it operates as a normal single coil pickups.

Sustainer

I had a RetroRocket but sold it years ago, so I don't remember for certain but I am pretty sure... Either way, I have an email out to Fernandes to confirm this.

I heard back from my contact at Fernandes. As I thought that I'd remembered, the Sustainer pickup operates as a normal pickup until the Sustainer switches are engaged.

So Edge (or anyone using a Sustainer (TM) equipted guitar are not sacrificing the use of a neck pickup.

Decade had (3) pickups.

Yes, Fernandes do make some 'metal-looking' guitars but the RetroRocket Elite looks similar to a Stratocaster.

That said, and with Edge having a membership to the Fender Board of Directors... it's not surprising that he'd have them build him some Stratocaster Sustainer guitars.

I think it'd be cool if Fender worked out a deal with Fernandes to make a second Edge Sustainer Model commercially available.

As for sacrificing the neck pickup... I memory serves... if the Sustainer switches aren't on, it operates as a normal single coil pickups.

Sustainer

I had a RetroRocket but sold it years ago, so I don't remember for certain but I am pretty sure... Either way, I have an email out to Fernandes to confirm this.

oh so driver can sound decent like normal neck pickup? thats good to hear.

Also, do you know why he prefers the hot-rail pups/single-coil sized hum buckers when it comes to sustainer guitars? Why doesn't he just go for normal hum buckers?

so most famous Sustainer users are either hard rock/metal players or very ambient-minded players. Most metal guys want as much harmonics and "rich" sound as possible out of sustainer so they tend to use pretty high-output pickups. I know Neal Schon uses SD Custom Custom (as hot as JB, I think), Steve Vai uses his signature Dimarzio pups (they're all pretty hot, regardless of versions, I think), and so forth. Also Schecter now produces bunch of guitars with SUstainiac and they often come with very hot pickups, like Full Shred from SD. The thing/key is to pick up as much (nice) sounds out of Sustainer as possible using powerful pickups that are capable of really enhancing wide range of frequencies.

oh so driver can sound decent like normal neck pickup? thats good to hear.

Also, do you know why he prefers the hot-rail pups/single-coil sized hum buckers when it comes to sustainer guitars? Why doesn't he just go for normal hum buckers?

Pickup is a pickup. What makes a sustainer pickup work is the driver. If the switches are off, the driver isn't engaged. In that, there is no loop (sustain) of the guitar sound. ie: It acts as a normal pickup.

Pickup is a pickup. What makes a sustainer pickup work is the driver. If the switches are off, the driver isn't engaged. In that, there is no loop (sustain) of the guitar sound. ie: It acts as a normal pickup.

thanx. I haven't really had experience with these systems, so I want really sure. Also I felt like some artists don't really use it as a pups......makes sense as good number of rock guitarists don't use neck pickups? I know its absurd but I have seen more and more of those guitars with only bridge pup and a volume knob.

thanx. I haven't really had experience with these systems, so I want really sure. Also I felt like some artists don't really use it as a pups......makes sense as good number of rock guitarists don't use neck pickups? I know its absurd but I have seen more and more of those guitars with only bridge pup and a volume knob.

Makes sense to experiment with all pickups and pickup combinations, if you want a variety of tone.

I think there are loads of classic rock dudes that have used the neck pickups. The one (bridge) pickup thing in the `80's was more due to Eddie Van Halen.

I don't know that I've seen a resurgence of one pickup guitars. But then again, I've not been looking either.

Has it gotten that bad... that rock music is so lost, it's drowning in the nostalgia of one pickup/shredder/1980's guitar bands? I hope not. I don't ache for a resurgence of Ratt, Warrant, Poison, Great White, Motley Crue types.

I might be wrong about resurgence of 1pup equipped guitar but especially for artist sig model they mostly have very stripped down designs. It often happens for metal guys who never care about nuances (jk). They mostly don't have tone knobs and often have blow switches. They also found some benefit of having not many pickups; having less magnetic interference often leads to enhanced sustain/ vibration of strings. But how audible is that? I don't know. I don't think Edge is that kinda guy, though.

Back
Top Bottom