Learning guitar on your own

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SWlondnr said:
In guitaring cruelty is spelt with an F chord :huh:
but you learn how to play it over time...i practise everyday without fail and i'm better than all the boys in my year-- girl power!! :happy:

:rockon:

I'm much better at the F chord now and I've learned to love it haha...

Last edited:
:laugh:

The F-chord. I used to refer to it as the :censored: chord when I was first starting out, because I could never get it right...hence the cursing. :wink:

Hang in there everyone!

Mucca said:
Is there any other chord that can top the cruelty of the F chord?

Some jazz chords can be real bitches. I'm in my high school's jazz band, and it takes every ounce of willpower within me not to quit after each practice. I got into it thinking it'd be easy, since I have five years of experience with the guitar...but it's not. Dm7(b5) is a doozy. As is G+7(b9) and Emaj7(#11).

I also hated the F chord at first. And I still don't know if I play it right ;)

I play it

X

My index barres the two first strings. Should it be barring the whole fret? I know it sounds better that way but I lose speed if I barre the whole fret.

Anyway

I learned guitar by myself. I'm a decent player. But piano will always remain my favourite instrument so I can go months without playing guitar.

I also learned with U2 songs. In my opinion, the best song to start with is the ZooTV version of Satellite of Love. Lots of different chords. By the time I knew this song, I realized I could play all these others songs I tried to learn in the beginning but couldn't play properly.

Try it!

Thanks Badyouken! :)

I also play piano...well used to. It's been a year since I've touched it...:tsk:

I prefer guitar over piano :tongue:

I also think a plus for my experience in teaching myself guitar is that I had 9 years of piano lessons under my belt...I understood what chords were, their relatives, major/minor etc.

Hmm ive been at it for 2 years, its hard to remember when I was struggling to change between chords and struggling to learn a new one, but effectively what I did was obsess on chords really and then learning rythmic versions of u2 songs, means im pretty crap at lead tho! Best song to start with is desire D A E A E, then you work your way on from there til you can play beautiful day, then you branch out and start learning things like under the bridge and creed's one last breath.

It's all about developing that callus on your fingertips. Once you get to that point, you can play any chord because you can't feel any pain :rockon:

I can slice off my fingertips and not hit any nerves :dancing:

Ladera Heights said:
It's all about developing that callus on your fingertips. Once you get to that point, you can play any chord because you can't feel any pain :rockon:

I can slice off my fingertips and not hit any nerves :dancing:

Hee, calluses are the secret to mastering the basics of the guitar. I freaked out some people once before by sticking some pins in my fingertips. Didn't feel a thing. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Hee, calluses are the secret to mastering the basics of the guitar. I freaked out some people once before by sticking some pins in my fingertips. Didn't feel a thing. :wink:

:laugh:

Yeah, I can't use my fingers to test if the water is hot enough when I shower anymore...they don't feel a thing. :wink:

Mucca said:

:rockon:

I'm much better at the F chord now and I've learned to love it haha...

Alright Mucca- you're an advanced student. . . now try this:

Cadd9/E

-0--
-1--
-7--
-2--
-3--
-0--

:D

Don't worry. . . i can't do it either (unless i tune my G string in B!)
:wink:

Go Go, Gadget fingers!

Last edited:
GG_The_Fly said:

Alright Mucca- you're an advanced student. . . now try this:

Cadd9/E

-0--
-1--
-7--
-2--
-3--
-0--

:D

Don't worry. . . i can't do it either (unless i tune my G string in B!)
:wink:

Go Go, Gadget fingers!

:huh:

Ummm.....maybe if I grew my pinky nail I could reach it :wink:

I can just barely reach 5 frets...

I just bought my first guitar during my trip to Vancouver to see U2 last week. I got a cheapie Fender but good enough to learn on. I am about 6 chords into it and enjoying every minute of it.:wink:

This forum kind of inspired me to get off my ass and learn since I love music so much, why not learn how play it myself.

Fingers are sore but well worth it.:wink:

trevster2k said:
I just bought my first guitar during my trip to Vancouver to see U2 last week. I got a cheapie Fender but good enough to learn on. I am about 6 chords into it and enjoying every minute of it.:wink:

This forum kind of inspired me to get off my ass and learn since I love music so much, why not learn how play it myself.

Fingers are sore but well worth it.:wink:

That's awesome Trev :rockon: :applaud:

How are those calluses coming along?

I think you guys are really cool and supportive.
I've tried to play guitar once and gave up cuz I'm so use to playing violin and the strings are much lighter to deal with. I had no idea that playing guitar would hurt your fingers that much. But after reading what you guys are sharing makes me want to give it a try again !

You definately should justwater! It's really fun once you get beyond the pain :wink:
Plus you get to learn how to play your favorite U2 tunes :rockon:
I'm trying to learn Staring at the Sun right now. I'm having a little trouble picking up the rhythm though...:huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom