last night on earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
What pedal is Edge using for overdrive on Last Night on Earth? I sort of remember reading something about an EH pedal, maybe the English Muff'n? Does anyone know?

Edge never used an English Muff, only the Muff Pi (which he also uses on the Love Is Blindness Solo).

Edge's OD's on his rack during Popmart consist of the Boss OD-2 and SD-1 (Muff, Fuzz Face and Big Cheese obviously being fuzz), I can't remember any others on the rack. Just check out some pics. So unless it wasn't coming from his Rack-setup (A3, etc.), it's either his overdriven amps (which obviously play a part) and/or multiple effects.

The TS-9, Sobbat, etc all came later so those are out of the question. Personally, I think you're on the right track w/ the muff, at least that's how I'd play it.

Distortion on "Last Night On Earth" could be a few things. I don't think that the "Big Muff" is the main component of the sound.

There was a book called "Live & Kicking:The Rock Concert Industry in the Nineties". It's out of print now. There was a long chapter about Popmart. It discussed everything from the stage, lighter, sound to gear used by the band.

In that book, Dallas mentioned the Digitech 2112 multi-effects unit, used during Popmart, as the source of some of the big distortion on that tour. Another component would be the Randall RG-80 amps.

Also, The Edge did have an EH "Hot Tubes" pedal in the rack for some/or all of Popmart.

EH HotTubes can be seen in the pic below. It's under the Pearl EQ
Popmart-5.jpg

More Popmart pedals
Popmart-1.jpg

Also keep in mind that Bono was playing on "Last Night On Earth". Possible sources of distortion from Bono's parts?

• DIGITECH 2112 multieffects
  • LOVETONE Big Cheese - Fuzz/Distortion
  • MXR Blue Box - Overdrive
  • ROGER MAYER Fuzz Mongoose - Fuzz

The Hot Tubes was what I was thinking of. I actually forgot about the Randalls, but it could have been them as well...

The Hot Tubes was what I was thinking of. I actually forgot about the Randalls, but it could have been them as well...

Per Dallas (in the aforementioned book), the Randall's and the Digitech 2112 were involved. That said, that doesn't mean that was all that was involved.

As with most of Edge's tones, it's rarely just on ingredient but the whole recipe.

Didn't edge use the lovetone pedals for a lot of the popmart dist sounds? Meatball??

Last edited:
Didn't edge use the lovetone pedals for a lot of the popmart dist sounds? Meatball??

Yes and no. He used the Lovetone 'Big Cheese' for "Discotheque". I think it was on the live intro to "...Velvet Dress" also.

Again, the Randall RG180 amps were a big part of the Popmart distorted sounds, just as they were the big broken distortions on "Love Is Blindness" during the Zoo tours.

Lovetone "Meatball" is an envelope filter, not a distortion.
Lovetone "Doppelganger is a twin phaser/vibrato, not a distortion.
Lovetone "Big Cheese" is a fuzz box.

As for "Last Night On Earth", pPer Dallas, in the book previously mentioned book:

...Each Randall was set with a completely different EQ. "Those amps provided the real crunch on songs like "Last Night On Earth", Schoo commented.

Also mentioned in the book:
"...The Digitech 2112 can also produce some quite offensive-sounding distortions which sxeem like they are coming from a closed 4 x 12" cabinet with a Marshall head.

Very interesting, I was always under the impression he owned the older 2101 version w/ the WH-1 chip. Not that he'd need it because he has about 20 WH-1 pedals at home apparently, but many state the older 2101 version is superior in tone than the 2112.

Per Dallas, it was the Digitech 2112 multi-effects unit. Direct quote from the book (below):

"...The Digitech 2112 can also produce some quite offensive-sounding distortions which sxeem like they are coming from a closed 4 x 12" cabinet with a Marshall head."

Bono also had a 2112 unit in his guitar rack.

Back
Top Bottom