Larry's 'No Line On The Horizon' gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Seems from all of the video evidence, that Larry was using a black oyster Ludwig drum kit, Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum and Zildjian cymbals for some if not the majority of the acoustic drums on the album.

"Get On Your Boots". Hanover Quay. April 2008
http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrydrumming_april08.swf

Olympic Studios. December 2008.
Olympic-1-large-1.jpg

Although you can see in the Olympic photo, that Larry had other drums available in the studio but it does appear that the Ludwig kit.

My question is: New or vintage? Maybe they were a birthday gift of vintage drums from the wife or band members?

Interesting he's kept the Ludwig Black Beauty as his tour snare. Not a bad choice. Ask any drummer and if they know what they are talking about, they will tell you that Ludwig Black Beauty snares are great and highly prized.

Wonder why the turn away from Brady snare drums, which he's used for 20 years, (starting during Lovetown tour 1989)? Only guess is that the Black Beauty seemed that much better to Larry.

I had a Brady and a Black Beauty. I like the BB slightly better because it's more focused and a little warmer than a Brady sheoak.

I had a Brady and a Black Beauty. I like the BB slightly better because it's more focused and a little warmer than a Brady sheoak.

A metal drum (Black Beauty) warmer than a wood drum (Brady She-Oak)?

That's odd. The make-up of the components alone suggest differently. Wood shell drums are usually warmer than metal, brass and bronze.

Pre-1981 BB's are Brass. Post 1981-1994 were made of Bronze. They began making some in Brass again in 1994. Both are not necessarily 'warm' in tone.

Would like to hear an A/B comparison of your two snare drums.

My brady is sold...I only have the 6.5x14 BB hammered

Current BB are brass..Brady Sheoaks almost sound like metal even though they are wood...cause the wood is so dense/thick it has both qualities of wood and brass. The sheoaks are loud and a bit abrasive at times ( the jarrah wood is warmer than sheoaks). The brass of the BB is a dark warm sound but with good attack at the same time. I have the hammered which gives it a slightly dryer sound. If you listen to Larry's live BB snare on the 360 tour it does sound warm and fat.

My brady is sold...I only have the 6.5x14 BB hammered

Current BB are brass..Brady Sheoaks almost sound like metal even though they are wood...cause the wood is so dense/thick it has both qualities of wood and brass. The sheoaks are loud and a bit abrasive at times ( the jarrah wood is warmer than sheoaks). The brass of the BB is a dark warm sound but with good attack at the same time. I have the hammered which gives it a slightly dryer sound. If you listen to Larry's live BB snare on the 360 tour it does sound warm and fat.

The block Brady snare drums are nice. I've played a few. I wouldn't say they are that similar to a metal drum but they are different to the average wood ply drum.

Not so sure his drum sound is warmer other than he doesn't tune his drums that high to begin. And he's using a more 'traditional' size drum than in the past 20 years.

Yeah those Brady's are killer snares..I loved the Larry 12x7 he used to use. Anyhow, the ludwig and brady are both expensive amazing sounding high end snares. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Back
Top Bottom