Larry's drumheads - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Babyface
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Local Time: 03:49 AM
Larry's drumheads

Anyone know what type of drumheads Larry is using on the 360 tour? They're bound to be Remo coated, probably emperor (maybe ambassador?) on the toms with ambassador on his snares. Any idea about his bass drum? Probably pinstripe?

On the past four tours, Vertigo, Elevation, Popmart, and ZooTV, it appeared that he was using clear pinstripes on the toms. Isn't it the first time he's used coated heads since the Joshua Tree/Lovetown tours?
__________________

WillyMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 83
Local Time: 11:49 AM
I believe Larry is using Remo coated for 360 tour. He is still using a remo pin stripe for kick drum. Yes this is the first time in a very long time i've seen him using coated tom heads. I guess he wanted a different lower pitched sound for No line album.

He also switched his snare to a 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty...used to use Brady Block snares.

check out this link for his current set up

http://u2-stage-and-studio.com/larry/
__________________

clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint View Post
I believe Larry is using Remo coated for 360 tour. He is still using a remo pin stripe for kick drum. Yes this is the first time in a very long time i've seen him using coated tom heads. I guess he wanted a different lower pitched sound for No line album.

He also switched his snare to a 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty...used to use Brady Block snares.

check out this link for his current set up

Larry Mullen Jr: Stage And Studio
Probably coated Remo Ambassador drum heads for the top and clear Ambassadors for the bottom heads. (Would be my guess, from the pictures that I've seen.

The assessment of coated being warmer? Not necessarily.

Coated heads are more ring-y and live w/more definition, than clear.

Clear can be more 'boomy' / rounder in tone.

I think the change to coated might have more to do with his receiving and playing they oyster finish Ludwig kit.

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights...ng_april08.swf

You will notice him playing said Ludwig kit with coated heads and Zildjian, not Paiste cymbals. The Ludwig kit seems to be a vintage kit.

But it might have been from playing that kit, that he got used to the idea of coated heads.

Could have been Danny Lanois' influence too, as his drummer Brian Blade plays with coated heads...

Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
Babyface
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Local Time: 03:49 AM
Any way of knowing/finding out if they're ambassadors or emperors? Probably emperors given that they're 2-ply, more durable, and deeper sounding.
WillyMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyMullen View Post
Any way of knowing/finding out if they're ambassadors or emperors? Probably emperors given that they're 2-ply, more durable, and deeper sounding.

How are you sure that what Larry is using are 2-ply? Easiest way to tell for sure is to ask Larry or Sam (his tech) if you come across them at a show.

I've use Ambassadors since 1980. They are more than durable.

As for 'deeper' sounding, thicker head can be 'deeper' to some extent but the tone of Larry's drums have more to do with the tuning of his drums and EQ from the soundboard than choice of drum head.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 83
Local Time: 11:49 AM
I doubt they are ambassadors cause Larry would crack right through those thin heads.
They are more for jazz playing
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint View Post
I doubt they are ambassadors cause Larry would crack right through those thin heads.
They are more for jazz playing
Sorry Clint, respectfully disagree there. And can do so based on my own knowledge and use of Remo's drums heads, having used Remo Ambassador drum heads since 1980.

Also, having read Modern Drummer since 1981, there have been a number of drummers, besides jazz drummers, that have played Remo Ambassador drum heads live and in the studio; drums from the rock, pop, country... genres.

I play fairly heavy, have used Ambassadors for years, and almost never break drum heads.

Remo Ambassadors are the medium weight head. Diplomats are the lighter weight and yes, Ambassdors are the heavier.

So it is very possible that he indeed using Remo Ambassador drum heads on some - if not all of his drums.

Not so say that he's definitely using Ambassadors. But it is as likely as him possibly using Emperors.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
The Fly
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 83
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
Sorry Clint, respectfully disagree there. And can do so based on my own knowledge and use of Remo's drums heads, having used Remo Ambassador drum heads since 1980.

Also, having read Modern Drummer since 1981, there have been a number of drummers, besides jazz drummers, that have played Remo Ambassador drum heads live and in the studio; drums from the rock, pop, country... genres.

I play fairly heavy, have used Ambassadors for years, and almost never break drum heads.

Remo Ambassadors are the medium weight head. Diplomats are the lighter weight and yes, Ambassdors are the heavier.

So it is very possible that he indeed using Remo Ambassador drum heads on some - if not all of his drums.

Not so say that he's definitely using Ambassadors. But it is as likely as him possibly using Emperors.

Well I guess you know it all..I really don't care one way or the other. A head is a head. A good drummer can make a crappy head and crappy drumkit sound great.
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Edge_Orchestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: * The Edge's Guitar Storage Room *
Posts: 8,569
Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint View Post

Well I guess you know it all..I really don't care one way or the other. A head is a head. A good drummer can make a crappy head and crappy drumkit sound great.


Not a case of know it all. But I do know a bit about some things... drums and Remo drumheads would be a few. This as I have played drums for 30 years and used Remo drumheads for as many.

You insisted that it had to be Emperors. And in fact it might be. But there is a equal possibility that he could be using Ambassadors. Not that any of this will cure cancer or make for world peace.


Nothing personal.
__________________

Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drum rig, drum set, drum set up, drumheads, drums, drumset, heads, larry's equipment

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×