Larry's current kit AND Ideal gift for a Larry-fan drummer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
My dad has been a drummer since he was a kid in the 60s and I've turned him into a U2 fan over the last 5 years. As a result of that, he's obsessed with perfecting various U2 songs (he can't stand that even Larry can no longer play SBS the same way he did on the album :lol: ). He's slowly trying to build Larry's kit...or at least a cheap version that's comparable.

Anyone know what his current kit includes?

Any thoughts on an ideal birthday gift for my pops that would be something that he could use or that Larry loves to use when playing?

Thanks for any help!

I don't think Larry's every played it like the album. Listen to Under A Blood Red Sky. He has played variations of the album version of that beat, but the album version was very random in where the different parts were placed.

Check the pic on the right side of the front page of:
Larry Mullen Jr: Stage And Studio

It is a list of Larry's U2:360 kit.

My dad has been a drummer since he was a kid in the 60s and I've turned him into a U2 fan over the last 5 years. As a result of that, he's obsessed with perfecting various U2 songs (he can't stand that even Larry can no longer play SBS the same way he did on the album :lol: ). He's slowly trying to build Larry's kit...or at least a cheap version that's comparable.

Anyone know what his current kit includes?

Any thoughts on an ideal birthday gift for my pops that would be something that he could use or that Larry loves to use when playing?

Thanks for any help!

^Thanks! I'll take a look and see what he needs.

With regard to SBS, my dad considers never playing it like the album "cheating"...that's just the type of person he is. :rolleyes:

I don't think Larry's every played it like the album. Listen to Under A Blood Red Sky. He has played variations of the album version of that beat, but the album version was very random in where the different parts were placed.

Check the pic on the right side of the front page of:
Larry Mullen Jr: Stage And Studio

It is a list of Larry's U2:360 kit.

He's using a Ludwig snare? :ohmy:

By the way... do you know if there's a similar picture of Larry's drum kit but the one from the Vertigo tour? and do you know what magazine were the scans taken from?

He's using a Ludwig snare? :ohmy:

By the way... do you know if there's a similar picture of Larry's drum kit but the one from the Vertigo tour? and do you know what magazine were the scans taken from?

He's used a Ludwig snare before (early days).

Some of NLOTH (album) was recorded with a Ludwig drum kit. (As seen in the studio pics and U2.com footage from NLOTH sessions.

Shown playing Ludwig kit, snare and ZILDJIAN cymbals, working on "Get On Your Boots"
http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrydrumming_april08.swf

Scans of the 360 tour kit came from Rhythm magazine.

There are similar stage pics of Larry's kit from the Vertigo tour.
You can see them here:

2004-2006: HTDDAB/VERTIGO era

He's used a Ludwig snare before (early days).

Some of NLOTH (album) was recorded with a Ludwig drum kit. (As seen in the studio pics and U2.com footage from NLOTH sessions.

Shown playing Ludwig kit, snare and ZILDJIAN cymbals, working on "Get On Your Boots"
http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larrydrumming_april08.swf

Scans of the 360 tour kit came from Rhythm magazine.

There are similar stage pics of Larry's kit from the Vertigo tour.
You can see them here:

2004-2006: HTDDAB/VERTIGO era

That's an interesting little fact.

I've seen the Ludwig kit and the Zildjian cymbals before, and I always like to read the brands thank yous at the end of album booklets, but I didn't know he uses Ludwig snares for live performances.

I'm not a drummer, but Larry's kits are something to take note of.

Thanks very much for the link/info. :wave:

That's an interesting little fact.

I've seen the Ludwig kit and the Zildjian cymbals before, and I always like to read the brands thank yous at the end of album booklets, but I didn't know he uses Ludwig snares for live performances.

I'm not a drummer, but Larry's kits are something to take note of.

Thanks very much for the link/info. :wave:

The snare drum in question is a Ludwig Black Beauty. It is the 'industry standard'. Every drummer I know that doesn't own one, wants one. It's like having a 1958/1959 Les Paul. It is THE snare drum.

"...Streets..."

During Popmart they would mount it next to his rack tom.

YouTube - U2 - Where the streets have no name (Popmart Rotterdam)

Ah... I see...

I always thought he played that song with a bongo drum or something like that. I guess it's because of the fact that I'm not a drummer and I never payed that much attention.

So basically streets is the only song in which he uses the Yamaha snare...? Is this the same snare that's placed next to the floor tom on his left side?

Sorry for so much questions, don't mean to make this seem like it's a questionnaire, it's just that very few people in here have a passion for this little fabulous facts and information.

Ah... I see...

I always thought he played that song with a bongo drum or something like that. I guess it's because of the fact that I'm not a drummer and I never payed that much attention.

So basically streets is the only song in which he uses the Yamaha snare...? Is this the same snare that's placed next to the floor tom on his left side?

Sorry for so much questions, don't mean to make this seem like it's a questionnaire, it's just that very few people in here have a passion for this little fabulous facts and information.

Streets seems to be the only song that he's using the Yamaha Peter Erskine model snare drum. And yes, these days it's placed to the left of his hi-hats.

Don't mind the questions. I love drums and guitars and amps and such. (Obviously, right?) :D

Larry Sunday

Larry plays SBS better now than he ever did back in the day. He is a more refined Drummer than the old days. The album version was lame anyway. U2 is a better live band.

Your Dad doesn't seem to understand U2's music at all. It's not about playing it like the album or trying to show off drum chops...it's the sound they all create as a band ( not one of the band members is trying to out do the next with busy playing. The last thing U2 wants to do is mimic their record during a live show.

Larry plays SBS better now than he ever did back in the day. He is a more refined Drummer than the old days. The album version was lame anyway. U2 is a better live band.

In your humble opinion, isn't that what you might have meant?

There is nothing wrong with the album version. He played it close but not exact to the album version during the 'War' tour. But has refined/simplified the part somewhat.

But "lame"? That is a bit rude assessment.

lame compared to his modern day playing...he's a much better musician now than he was in his 20's. I shouldn't say lame ...bad choice of words..lol

Hell, for those who think Larry can't play, just listen to Angels Too Tied To The Ground. You wouldn't think that he could carry a swing feel being the rock drummer that he is, but it's outstanding.

The question is, does the drumming have a good feel and fit the music and does the music connect with people.

The answer is Yes and Yes.

Larry's drumming might not be as technical as Dave Weckly, Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland and countless others. But, what he plays is perfect for the songs and it makes the songs work.

If you don't believe that, listen to "Gloria", "11 O'Clock Tick Tock", "Pride (In The Name Of Love)", "Please", "Like A Song"... the push of Larry's part on "...Streets..."... the tom bolero of "Running To Stand Still"... and most other U2 songs... what Larry plays is distintively Larry and enhances the pace and feel of the song.

Larry could careless about chops. It's all about feel and attitude in U2. Could you imagine how terrible Neil Peart's drum style would sound in U2? U2 is not a progressive rock band with complex time changes ( it's about the spirit of the song). I always found it funny when people try to compare Larry's talent with other technical drummers. You can't even do a comparison to Neil Peart because their approach to music is completely different ( not comparing apples to apples). The drummer needs to play what is appropiate for the music. Larry plays just what you want to hear. It's tasteful and the way he hits the drums is better than any drummer I've ever seen. It's not what he's playing it's how he is playing..

Also, look at Larry on U2's live DVD's.. he's very balanced ( most important aspect in playing the drums), confident, amazing dynamics, great pulse..I could go on and on. Alot of drummers even the technical ones can't even play a straight ahead groove...It's much more difficult to play simple than complex (sounds funny but it's true). My proof is go download any U2 tribute band in the world and listen to their drummer. 99.9% of the drummers I hear over play Larry's parts and put in misplaced fills and incorrect beats. This proves that Larry is the best in the world cause most drummers can't play his parts correct. Larry leaves space for the other band members to fill and he does not clutter up songs.

Nothing worse than hearing the constant bashing on the crash/ride cymbal to cripple your ears and ruin the song. I'm seeing more and more young drummers play like that and it's aweful. When Larry plays crash/ride like in Elevation it is still played tasteful and musical. If the drummer is getting noticed then something is wrong. It's the drummers job to keep the band together and not get in the way of the song.

The band is only as good as their drummer.

Do some tribute band drummers not play them as recorded? Fair statement. I've seen and heard that. I've also seen some tribute band Bono's, Adam's and Edge's that perform the parts like those they mimic.

I saw one tribute... (laughing thinking about it) the guitarist used an Ibanez guitar with few effects (none sounding anywhere near Edge's) and through a Marshall amp. Horrible tone! Horrible.

Marshall amp ? not good...lol
Vox rules!

Not to go too far off topic:

The Edge uses a number of amps. Not all are Vox. And he does have a Marshall amp head in the rig. But that is for certain sounds. Vox is the main flavor and the Fender and other amps the other spices.

But a Marshall for the whole tribute show? Not good.

Not to go too far off topic:

The Edge uses a number of amps. Not all are Vox. And he does have a Marshall amp head in the rig. But that is for certain sounds. Vox is the main flavor and the Fender and other amps the other spices.

But a Marshall for the whole tribute show? Not good.

I didn't know he had a Marshall amp head in his rig, does he uses more stuff apart from the VOX, Fender and Marshall amps?

And well, now that we're on amps... which amp would you say is the "ideal" for an Ibanez guitar?

Yeah, but I don't mean the ideal amp to cover U2 stuff. I don't really plan to start up a U2 tribute band. I mean, based on the sound of Ibanez, what amp would complement the sound of these guitars? If that makes any sense.

The problem might be the Ibanez itself. What pickups are in it? Ibanez guitars are more shredder / metal guitars than for the chiming Edge-type tones.

But what will just sound good with it, in general? It's all in the ears. Take you Ibanez to the guitar shop and play on a few different amps. There are tons to choose from. Some are more classic Fender amps / VoxAC30 or AC15 and there are more 'rock' amps like Buddah, Mesa/Boogie, Marshall, Orange, Hi Watt...

But we are getting off the Larry topic here...

The problem might be the Ibanez itself. What pickups are in it? Ibanez guitars are more shredder / metal guitars than for the chiming Edge-type tones.

But what will just sound good with it, in general? It's all in the ears. Take you Ibanez to the guitar shop and play on a few different amps. There are tons to choose from. Some are more classic Fender amps / VoxAC30 or AC15 and there are more 'rock' amps like Buddah, Mesa/Boogie, Marshall, Orange, Hi Watt...

But we are getting off the Larry topic here...

I guess I would go for the Fender/VOX type of amp, not much of a metal boy anymore.

Anyway, thanks. And yeah, back on the Larry topic. Just a quick couple questions now that we're here... I was watching a vid from the early days and noticed that Larry was playing a Tama drum kit, do you know when he made the switch from Tama to Yamaha? And do you know when did Larry started using Paiste, the Signature series?

I guess I would go for the Fender/VOX type of amp, not much of a metal boy anymore.

Anyway, thanks. And yeah, back on the Larry topic. Just a quick couple questions now that we're here... I was watching a vid from the early days and noticed that Larry was playing a Tama drum kit, do you know when he made the switch from Tama to Yamaha? And do you know when did Larry started using Paiste, the Signature series?

Larry used Tama Fibre Star series drums during the 'Boy' and 'October' tours. The toms were single head concert toms.

While his Yamaha drums, at first appeared to be double headed toms, often the bottom heads were cut out. He did this through (at least) the Love Town tour.

The Yamha kit first appeared around the 'October' summer festival dates in the summer 1982.

Fibre Star drum shells were a wood/fibreglass hybrid. Pearl drums made a similar drum shell in the late `70's/early `80's. The selling point for fibreglass or fiberglass hybrid being both durability and a (perceived) projection.

Larry's used Paiste for as long as I can remember. Although there may have been the stray Zildjian in the very early days before the Paiste endorsement in 1983. He's played the 'Signature' series sense they came out in 1989.

Back
Top Bottom