Larry double bass drums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbelcik

Refugee
On my iTunes shuffle, Boomerang II just came on and it sounds like Larry is using a double bass pedal. I'm a drummer and I can definitely hear it. Does anyone have confirmation of Larry ever using a double bass pedal? I've never heard him use one except in this song.

On my iTunes shuffle, Boomerang II just came on and it sounds like Larry is using a double bass pedal. I'm a drummer and I can definitely hear it. Does anyone have confirmation of Larry ever using a double bass pedal? I've never heard him use one except in this song.

Larry has never used a double pedal or double bass drums. There is no double bass on that track.

Eno/Lanois studio trickery/EQ-ing is more likely. Delay on drums would be my first guess.

That's what I thought, Larry's never used double bass drums so to hear them on a song sounds weird. It probably is studio trickery. I played today and I used a double bass pedal though.

man, I consider myself the best thing since Larry to play those songs and dedicated a lot of time to figure out how to play so many. A lot with my own flavor, but man did you pick an obscure track here.

I would have to agree that I've never seen larry use a double pedal, and I think I've only seen him behind a double bass kit for a Harley commercial :)

U2 Larry Mullen Jr PSA - motorcycle safety - YouTube

okay it's not a harley commercial.

In terms of the double pedal, I remember being one of the people to have one for years in my circle of drummers. I bought a yamaha the very day it hit the music store floor...in the 80's, but well after TUF was released. Using 2 bass drums was still very much the route of most drummers and double pedals were frowned upon as never being able to achieve 'true' double bass tones. Purists :) I did research and there were some prototypes out there in the 70's but no one seems to know the date they became available. I'm not really searching too hard.

As far as how to play the tune, Larry is infamous for the floor tom to his left on the kit. I would say alternate your left floor tom with your BD and you'll accomplish it close to larry style than double bass.

Take a song like God Part 2 and you'll see hear the same concept...watch this AB clip and at about 8:30 they show a clip of God Part 2, you'll get one glimpse of Larry at about 8:34 working the 16th notes all on his left floor tom.

U2 - Achtung Baby Documentary (Part 1 /3) - YouTube

you can see all the alternating patterns on his floor toms starting at about 1:40 on R&H With or Without You..
U2 - With Or Without You (Live Rattle And Hum) - YouTube

unrelated, but still my favorite version of the song, and Larry's drumming is for me the best on this video...Bad, Exit, WorW you, just great drumming.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom