Korg sdd 3000 preamp and rig set up, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisn1

The Fly
Hello, I just want to use the preamp section on my SDD3000 before the actual delays from my 2 SDD2000s (BECAUSE OF THE MIDI !!!) For the core of my sound, does anyone have suggestions as to the settings at the back of the 3000, I intend to use this along with my A3 and various pedals with the Ground control switcher/floor unit, so I can make presets always using the preamp section of the 3000, where in the chain should the sdd3000 go!!! is it right at the begining! I am just in the process of setting up my rig from the ground up so to speak and could do with a lot of help, my set up is this

KORG SDD3000.
KORG SDD2000. x2
KORG DTR-1000 (tuner)
KORG A3.
TC NOVA DELAY.
POD PRO.
VOODOO LAB GCX (switcher)
GROUND CONTROL PRO.
BOSS FA-1
BOSS SD-1
BIG MUFF
TUBESCREAMER
MXR DYNACOMP
LINE 6 VERBZILLA
KAY FUZZ-TONE
DIGITECH WHAMMY.
VOX WAH.
Any help with this will be very much appreciated, I know there are some very talented people on this forum who could set this lot up in a matter of hours but I could just use a push in the right direction and the rest will be trial and error, Cheers everyone,
Chris.
England.

Hi

The sdd 3000 needs go just before your main delays in your case the sdd 2000. To use the sdd 3000 the same way as the edge you need to use a 2290 as he controls the output level with this unit. The sdd needs to be plugged in at the front inputs and left side set to -10 and right side to +4. You will get a big increase in level hence why you need a 2290. Same with the fa-1.

Thanks "Eventide" hopefully will get a 2290 at some point, can you tell me how to set up the midi channels on the 2000s for use withe the Ground control pro/GCX.!!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE, CHEERS
CHRIS.

As eventide, I've got my SDD3K right at the very end before delay. If you're using SDD2K's just because of the midi, you may want to consider selling them and getting a midi switcher box from Conceptual Audio Solutions. I have one and it works great.

Cheers Ewen, just checked out there website looks like a useful bit of kit, I will look into getting one of these for sure,

Does your A3 have the firmware or eprom fix that allows you to save and keep its midi settings? If not, and you decide to go for the SDD3K midi box, you will want to ask Ian of CAS to set the box up to have a midi channel of 2 or greater. I have an old A3 that does not have the fix, so each time I boot up my equipment, I have to manually change the midi channel on the A3 to channel 3 to avoid conflicts with the SDD3K box which operates on channel 1 & 2 (I have the dual independent box that operates two SDD3Ks). It's no biggy for me, it's become routine for me to manually change the A3 each time (and to switch off OMN). When you come to order one, Ian will ask you anyway what channels you want but just bear that in mind.

Hi Ewen, Yes it has the fix, I think so!!!!! every time I power up its just as I set it up, midi wise, omni off etc, but thanks for the heads up I will tell Ian when I order one, cheers!!!!
just another quick question, do you know what tubes Edge has in his main AC30!
Regards.
Chris.

Cool. Another thing with the CAS box is that Ian is making a new one that avoids the 'zip' noise as you move up the programs - you might want to ask him how far he is off getting that into production before ordering one. No idea what tubes Edge is using in his main AC.

Cheers Ewen will do, that little box will be fantastic, it seems silly having a SDD3000 and not using it!!!! my two SDD2000s will be my back-ups, is there any full SDD clones out there, they would sell like hot cakes,

...is there any full SDD clones out there, they would sell like hot cakes,

yes there are and yes they do :)

Trabantland

give this guy an email and he'll put you on the waiting list. he also makes Boss FA-1 and Kay Fuzztone clones.

I have put a request in at "Trabantland" I have a Boss fa-1, where in the chain does Edge
place this, is it just to boost single coils, thanks Ewen,
Chris.

My understanding is that he uses the fa-1 for numerous reasons. 1) for perhaps boosting the lower output pups on his strats 2) boosting the sustain for slide playing 3) driving his amps to dirty. he may uses this for particular songs instead of or maybe alongside the sdd. Unless you have everything that the Edge has and down to the smallest detail of spec, I think you're just best experimenting with the pedal and that way you'll know yourself where you can make best use of it. Personally I have a Retro Sonic Boost and I'll use that with my Boss CS-2 for the slide part in Gloria. I also use it to boost harmonics - Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow etc.

Cheers Ewen, yeah best just to try it out on various things, the fact is im still putting this all together at the moment, I have spent years sourcing all this stuff as and when I can afford it, and its amazing what goes into Edges sound, I don't want to over-engineer things to get an exact copy of his rig!!!!! thats almost impossible, im not in a tribute band but have a small home studio set up and Edge is the reason I started playing in the first place so to get a bare bones set up is great, but as I get deeper into this, there is a very strange satisfaction to be had knowing you have another piece of the great mans arsenal its almost become just as enjoyable collecting all this stuff as playing it!!!!! does that sound wierd !!!! and it takes dedication, look at "Eventide" he must have the best set up in the world apart from "Mr Evans" really glad I joined this forum now I know that its not just me who is spellbound by all his sonic wizzadry.

As far as i am aware Edge uses the fa-1 as a drive pedal and controls the level with a 2290. His setting are always between the 10 and 11 o clock position and anybody that owns an fa-1 will know that in this setting the output is well to loud for the amp ....To give you an idea of how it sounds then just listen to new years day this is just the fa-1 and tc 2290.

Fa-1 a3 myst ways

fa-1 chorus on bullet

fa-1 muff main sound bullet

Just a couple of examples

Back
Top Bottom