Klons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
yes, finally, i thought i have topic to talk about and I always forget, and I finally get it.

Anyway, is anyone here have experience with real Klon/KTR or Klon Centaur clone?
I hear real good thing about that pedal (though price.....1000 bucks for THAT pedal is sorta expensive, isn't it?) even from people like Joe Perry, Nils Cline and even Jeff Beck (i thought he never cared about boutique pedal). I know Edge doesn't necessarily use it but I wonder.

Plus, do you guys know why Klon Centaur circuit is that different and great? .et me know.

The attraction of the Klon stems from it not being a tubescreamer, so no mid hump, if that's your dislike with less coloration of your guitar signal, which is why they call it an transparent overdrive. It also does sound great as a clean boost pushing your amp, as that was part of Finnegan's design. It's probably what most people use it for. Because of that it has a 18volt chargepump that converts 9 volts input into 18 volts for more headroom. It is however not a true bypass pedal but it has one the sweetest signal buffers ever built that will bring shine to your guitar signal. Only Pete Cornish's buffer comes close to the Klon's buffer mythical status. Seriously, there are people who build just the Klon buffer to spice up their guitar signal.

Pricewise it doesn't help that it has become of a darling of the people on the Gear Page, who can be like blind Lemmings when it comes to (boutique) gear. And they're probably the ones who are driving up the price for a real gold one up to a thousand. Because as everyone knows, with every revision and redesign a pedal gets worse. :doh:

There's also the mystery of its creater, Bill Finnegan, who claims the circuit only sounds best with his mystery germanium clipping diodes, of which he bought every one of them ever made so boo yah to the cloners. Even though technically if you only use a Klon(e) as a clean boost to push your amp into overdrive the clipping diodes don't even come into play. His mystery diodes are the only unobtainium parts as the rest of the circuit is what you can get at every other electronics store. No out of production NOS IC's, no carbon comp resistors for extra mojo. Just find the right substitutes for the germanium diodes and you can start. The Russian D9E germanium diode is now considered to be the best substitute, but who knows, anything can work if it sounds best to your ear. Switching between different sets of diodes has become a very popular mod on Klon(e)s.

If you want a transparant good sounding overdrive, as in no mids hump with less coloring of your original signal the Klon Centaur and Paul Cochrane's Timmy are probably good choices and both original designs. Both have been traced by the DIY community and commercially cloned. Interestingly although there are a lot of DIY'ers offering Centaur boards on the forums and their own websites, the Timmy not so much, as everybody seems to respect Paul Cochrane for being a nice upstanding guy. The same cannot be said for commercial builders as Danelectro and Vemuram have shamelessly copied the Timmy. And EHX of course copied the Centaur as the Soul Food.

Aion Electronics has an interesting essay on the Klon here.

If anyone doesn't want to pay $600 to a $1000 for a real Klon and is not afraid of some soldering you can get Klon(e) Centaur pcb's here:
Aion Electronics
Pedalparts.co.uk has both a pcb as a full kit
Madbean pedals, has also a kickass forum with very helpful members. He does give weird names to his pcb's though. The Klon is called the Sunking II. He also has the Kingslayer, which is a modded Klon.
GrindcustomsFX offered the Chimeara until recently, but its been discontinued. I got one of the last boards for my build and it sounds awesome! They're working on a new version called the Tusk though.
Buildyourownclone had a kit based on the Silver Centaur version, called the Silver Pony. It has recently been discontinued, but you come across a kit here and there. BYOC kits are well thought out with inexperienced builders in mind, with the best build documents, and also a very helpful forum community.

I've ordered boards and kits from all of them and I can vouch for all of them.

ok, 3K is clone of Rangemaster and ToneBender, the famous booster/fuzz(if you cranked, it'll be like fuzz but when dialed lower, it'll be like boost, just like any other 60s gain pedals). probably the Edge wanted to sound like Tony Iommi?

That would be so friggin' awesome if he did. Of course then he could have just gotten the Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra. Which I'm so going to build when the parts I ordered come in. :drool:

Although if you think about it though, Tony Iommi used trebleboosted Laney Amps to get his signature sound. The Edge uses AC-30's. And we all know which guitarist has become famous by using a treblebooster into a AC-30, right? :wink:

Yes, Brian May. How did I forget?

I said Tony Iommi because i just read about his rig in Tone Report. Brian May used Ringmaster as well (as I remember). Is Tone Bender and Ringmaster similar because I read somewhere that Vemram 3K is clone of both range master and tone bender? how does that make sense?

are saying that the edge would like to sound like Brian May?? i like so much Brian May. that would be awesome!!

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

well, Rangemaster and AC30 is Brian May sound. Except he uses custom-made one without any control currently

Does the Edge buy boutique gear? I mean, something as hyped as klon or Dumble amps? I know he's got Cyber Psychic or DBA pedals, but I feel like i don't see him with tons of custom-made expensive pedals (hey, he's got line 6 piece, oops and Analogman stuff).

Or am i missing big time?

Does the Edge buy boutique gear? I mean, something as hyped as klon or Dumble amps? I know he's got Cyber Psychic or DBA pedals, but I feel like i don't see him with tons of custom-made expensive pedals (hey, he's got line 6 piece, oops and Analogman stuff).

Or am i missing big time?

• DBA is considered a boutique pedal maker.
  • ZVEX is considered a boutique pedal maker. (Seen in studio photos but not in the touring rack)
  • Lastgasp Art Laboratories (Makers of the Cyber Psychic) is considered a boutique pedal maker.
  • Lovetone is considered a boutique pedal maker.

• Line 6 DM Pro is custom made.
  • Korg SDD 3000 pedal is sort of a custom made item, that Dallas and Edge worked with Korg to put into production.

I'm not saying he's got a touring rack filled with boutique pedals and custom-items. I don't know that anyone was saying that. But he has used boutique and custom gear at times, on stage and in the studio.

As for the Klon? There are cheaper alternatives out there, as I've pointed out.

Lovetone is a boutique, totally forgot about that.

And SDD3000. what if Korg makes custom-made SDD3000 pedal but in a rack format? feels like that's gonna help Edge quite a bit to save some spaces in the rack.

I guess Edge is in the fortunate position that every pedal maker sends him free stuff in the hope that he will use it. And in doing so boosts their sales. Even that aside Edge will just use whatever sounds good to him. And sometimes that will be a boutique pedal, sometimes it will be something mass produced, and sometimes it will be something so vintage it had to be unearthed by archeologists.

Technically Lovetone was a boutique maker. They've been dead for a long time now. Oddly enough their website still exists. They weren't their run of the mill boutique company either, cloning existing circuits, changing a little flavor here and there and present it to the world as something completely new. At three times the price. Lovetone really came up with some innovative shit. Their design philosophy appearing to be 'How can we make it even more complicated? And awesome'. Alas, they are no more. But thankfully all their pedals have now been traced and are out there, and people like LaceSensor and alanp on the Madbean forums are offering PCB groupbuys for some of them. I got boards for the Big Cheese, Meatball, Doupleganger and Wobulator. Like Pokemon I gotta catch them all! Also thankfully the spirit and design philosophy of Lovetone seems to be carried on Pigtronix.

There are a ton of great klones out there. Arc Effects, JHS, Rocket, Pedal Monsters, Monsterpiece, Kimrock Mythical Overdrive, Fredric Effects, EHX Soul Food, I think the Light Drive by Rawkworks, Matthews Effects, etc. etc.

I like the sound but I don't have one currently as I think they work best into an amp on the edge of breakup and my amps are mostly in the clean territory at this point.

too bad they're out of business. I really want Meatball and Doppelgänger.

If you really want one, Musicpcb sells a meatball pcb:
Meat Sphere filter — MusicPCB

alanp has layouts for a meatball (risolle), wobulator (tremopanation) and cheesesource (horace) pcb at Oshpark as well:
https://oshpark.com/profiles/alanp/page/1

Haven't built de Musicpcb board, but I prefer alanp's version because A: I built one and it works, and B: its narrower so I can fit it into a narrower box. The downside with Oshpark is that you have to order a minimum of 3 pcb's for every layout that you order. So people tend to organize group buys for them. But if anyone wants to place an order for a meatball or a cheesesource, I'm willing to buy 1 board and split the cost for 1/3rd. :wave:

He also has a pcb for a Doppelganger, the most compact version ever created. Although some people have experienced LFO ticking noises with it as well. The pcb that Lacesensor sells on the Madbean forums doesn't have that potential risk. The downside is he only does it like once a year and he already did one a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom