kind of pups Edge has used

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I know Edge is a fan of low(or vintage-y) amount of power/poutput when it comes to pickups. I mean, he obviously kept almost all of his 70s strat. stock (or similarly rewound by someone, possibly Dallas) and used LP Custom with T-tops, not necessarily known as powerful pups. He also prefers Explorer from 76 which has less output compared to typical PAF-type, and he likes Rickenbacker with low-gain pups instead of newer high-gain ones.

Now, I wonder if Edge has ever used "high-gain" pups. I am aware that he's got hot-rails for Sustainer-equipped guitar so that could be the answer but I wanna know instance other than those guits. sure Danvel-Nelson can also be high-power. I know it's kinda hard to dig up as he never liked those pups (generally those are designed to have compressed sound, which is somewhat controversial especially when it comes to active pups like EMG).

The Clapton Strats had active pups. But look at how long that experiment lasted. (Not that long at all). Same can be said for the Danvel Nelson. It it tried and then set aside.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Clapton Strats had active pups. But look at how long that experiment lasted. (Not that long at all). Same can be said for the Danvel Nelson. It it tried and then set aside.

I thought the Clapton Strats had Lace Sensor Golds? Which are hardly active. Or high output.

and Hot Rail was used to pick up sustainer sound properly, right?

Sustainers do need a bridge humbucker and hot rails are one way of providing humbucker sounds in a single coil size. Personally I think sustainers work better with real humbuckers, not single coil sized humbuckers, although I've never used a Seymour Duncan hot rail before.

I thought the Clapton Strats had Lace Sensor Golds? Which are hardly active. Or high output.

I think yes, old Clapton strat used Gold lace sensor ( or they just might have said lace pups) but with active, mid boost circuit (which turned out to be just a boost with mid/low-pass filter). so you ca say that guitar has active circuits but pups will properly work with or without the circuit.

Lace gold has the lowest output amongst lace sensor family; the hottest being Red, which was in Billy Corgan's old strat (not anymore as he puts his signature pups now) and Johnny Greenwood's tele (one with killswitch). I kinda want to grab one of those Lace Sensor as they seems to have very low noise and nice clear tones.

I played in a Radiohead tribute band for years so I had to outfit at least one guitar with Jonny's combo, single blue/dual red. I quite liked the sound of those Lace Sensors I put them in lots of my guitars. Mostly blue/silver/dual red in my Strats. I tried a single red once in the bridge position but the dual red just sounds better. The red/silver dual also sounds quite nice.

Those Lace Sensors did start my love for high output pickups though.

i have a set of the gold lace sensor pups although never used them
popular with the blues players well clapton had them for a while
and it was my favourite tone/era from him and buddy guy used them

from wikipedia: The Edge used a few Lace Sensor-equipped Stratocasters
on the Lovetown and Zoo TV Tour.

I see bunch of Lace pups that looks amazing! like Drop&Gain and some high-gain looking lace is so praised I'm kinda attracted to the idea of putting them in my cheap strat.

So im gonna conclude Edge has never used much of high-gain pups except for hot-rails.

Back
Top Bottom