Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peterrrrr said:
I have some questions around vocal keys. How do I know how a "A" or "E" sounds. Whats the highest key?

This is something I only recently got interested in.
So I'll give you what I've gathered and see if I can help.

Pero shows you the scale from C-to the next octave C

How do you know how an "A" or "E" sounds?

Well simply, it's the same notes on your piano or guitar.
So if you are trying to figure out what a note is, you just play the vocal line on your guitar or piano.

The middle C is the reference usually, for rock and roll vocals.
Because the ranges are usually one octave up if not much more.
In Opera, it gets way way up there.

Middle C is usually the 3rd C on small pianos/keyboards
it would be the 4th C on a full piano

But since most of us play guitar, it's the 5th fret on the G string and the first fret on the B string (standard tuning)

So when you play the chorus of Pride on the high E string of your guitar you'll notice Bono's highest note is a B (7th fret), so that note is referred to B above middle C. Totally from memory it's "In The Name" part of the chorus, but I am just giving you a basic idea. Hell, Pride may even be tuned down half-step, but let's not get confusing, I'm sure you follow what I'm saying there.

When Bono gets up to the next C, on Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For for example, he's up one octave from middle C, but most of the rock and roll crowd just says C above middle C.

What's the highest key? Well, middle C is a C4, for rock and roll.
Bono has a fantastic upper range and his highest note that any of us have found is a C# above middle C in Bad (album version).
Which would be a C#5 (I believe), so that's Bono's highest, as far as we have found (we had a thread on the Even Better forum).

But, females go higher of course, and I'm sure Freddy Mercury or others have some outrageous notes, and so on. When you stray from rock and roll, some of the high keys get outrageously high.

I say "for rock and roll" meaning, if you go around the web and read about vocal ranges, you'll run into all kinds of classifications etc. In rock and roll, it's pretty simple without getting into the rest.

Re: Re: Keys

U2DMfan said:

This is something I only recently got interested in.
So I'll give you what I've gathered and see if I can help.

Pero shows you the scale from C-to the next octave C

How do you know how an "A" or "E" sounds?

Well simply, it's the same notes on your piano or guitar.
So if you are trying to figure out what a note is, you just play the vocal line on your guitar or piano.

The middle C is the reference usually, for rock and roll vocals.
Because the ranges are usually one octave up if not much more.
In Opera, it gets way way up there.

Middle C is usually the 3rd C on small pianos/keyboards
it would be the 4th C on a full piano

But since most of us play guitar, it's the 5th fret on the G string and the first fret on the B string (standard tuning)

So when you play the chorus of Pride on the high E string of your guitar you'll notice Bono's highest note is a B (7th fret), so that note is referred to B above middle C. Totally from memory it's "In The Name" part of the chorus, but I am just giving you a basic idea. Hell, Pride may even be tuned down half-step, but let's not get confusing, I'm sure you follow what I'm saying there.

When Bono gets up to the next C, on Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For for example, he's up one octave from middle C, but most of the rock and roll crowd just says C above middle C.

What's the highest key? Well, middle C is a C4, for rock and roll.
Bono has a fantastic upper range and his highest note that any of us have found is a C# above middle C in Bad (album version).
Which would be a C#5 (I believe), so that's Bono's highest, as far as we have found (we had a thread on the Even Better forum).

But, females go higher of course, and I'm sure Freddy Mercury or others have some outrageous notes, and so on. When you stray from rock and roll, some of the high keys get outrageously high.

I say "for rock and roll" meaning, if you go around the web and read about vocal ranges, you'll run into all kinds of classifications etc. In rock and roll, it's pretty simple without getting into the rest.

Wov, that was deep. But I still can't figure out what makes a "B" a "B" and a "C" a "C".:(

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keys

Peterrrrr said:

Maybe this would be easiest:

http://www.chordbook.com/guitartuner.php

That is a guitar tuner, if you turn your sound on, you can click the blue dot and it will play that note continously. You then use the silver tabs to turn it up and down, which changes the notes up and down. The corresponding boxes at the top will tell you the note that is playing. There are 6 boxes for each of the 6 strings.

At least that is a start.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keys

U2DMfan said:

Maybe this would be easiest:

http://www.chordbook.com/guitartuner.php

That is a guitar tuner, if you turn your sound on, you can click the blue dot and it will play that note continously. You then use the silver tabs to turn it up and down, which changes the notes up and down. The corresponding boxes at the top will tell you the note that is playing. There are 6 boxes for each of the 6 strings.

At least that is a start.

I still don't have a clue :(

I want to learn how to figure out wich keys that in use in lines in songs. Just by hearing the "Feeeeeeeeeel" part in Vertigo, Wide Awake, Sing..... and then say wich key it was :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keys

Peterrrrr said:

I still don't have a clue :(

I want to learn how to figure out wich keys that in use in lines in songs. Just by hearing the "Feeeeeeeeeel" part in Vertigo, Wide Awake, Sing..... and then say wich key it was :)

You need an instrument Peter and you need some idea how to identify notes. Until then it's going to be next to impossible to explain it to you.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Keys

Peterrrrr said:
[I want to learn how to figure out wich keys that in use in lines in songs. Just by hearing the "Feeeeeeeeeel" part in Vertigo, Wide Awake, Sing..... and then say wich key it was :) [/B]

You need to develop perfect pitch. Which you are either born with or not. If you are, start music theory lessons. If not, forget it. Either way, this board cannot help you.

no i disagree... pitch can be learnt through practice. I'm at the stage where I'm recognising notes here and there. 2 years ago i wouldn't have had a hope of being able to do this...

junkydog said:
no i disagree... pitch can be learnt through practice. I'm at the stage where I'm recognising notes here and there. 2 years ago i wouldn't have had a hope of being able to do this...

How did you learn?

junkydog said:
I agree to that. I practice by trying to 'hear' for example a G before playing it. Most of the time I'm completely off, but an increasing number of times I'm correct. :)

WalkOn21 said:
I agree to that. I practice by trying to 'hear' for example a G before playing it. Most of the time I'm completely off, but an increasing number of times I'm correct. :)

We learn in aural perception by learning to recognise middle C
and also we need to know what number chords they are eg I VI V etc.
but it really helps to identify chords from music really easy if you're really good sometimes without the aid of an instrument

WalkOn21 said:
You're talking about relative pitch? Luckily I already have that skill. Makes it really easy to play songs off the radio which you have only heard once. Nice way to impress your friends. :wink:

No it was about chords

But yeah having a good ear for pitches makes transcribing songs really easy....and I agree good way to impress your friends too! :)

Back
Top Bottom