Keyboard purchase advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I've been toying with the idea of getting a keyboard, but it's been SO long since I've actually played piano that I don't know where to start.

I'd prefer 88 keys. It's not necessary to have a bunch of bells and whistles on it. It does need to be something I can put up after I'm done, since I live in the equivalent of a shoe box.

As for price, I'm not even sure what my budget is yet, so a range of different prices wold be helpful.

I did do some preliminary looking, and I love the Korg SP-250. I'm not sure how many other reputable brands there are out there besides Korg and Yamaha. (Is Casio still a good brand?)

Can someone explain how weighted keys work? Is it just a matter how how the keys feel? Also, I might be interested in looking into a damper pedal, since, if I do take lessons I'd be playing on a real piano and might need to have one.

I'm starting to think about getting a good digital piano as well - I really miss playing.

Weighted keys are a must, because it will duplicate the feel of a piano, more or less. It's been my (limited) experience that the higher the price, the closer it will feel and sound to an acoustic piano.

I think a lot of digital pianos come with a plug-in damper pedal, if not one that's physically attached to it (in the higher-end models that aren't portable and you can't just throw in a case when you're done).

Back
Top Bottom