it?s all about bass...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... or just hide
kloguck.gif

the bass is like the word implements the foundation of a song. The one of the reasons Edge sounds so cool, is because Adam gives him the freedom to do whatever Edge does. I think guitarist don?t realize that.

ok, where is my hiding place???

------------------
The world is but one country and mankind its citizens. ~ Bah?'u'll?h

Yeah - I definitely am not knocking Mr. The Edge, he's a genius and extremely talented. But Mr. The Edge wouldn't probably wouldn't have the opportunity to do what he does without that kick-ass rhythm section behind him. Adam and Larry kick ass!! Just listen to "Please" to hear how bass and drum alone can carry an entire song!

Also for any aspiring bassists I suggest picking up a copy of any Victor Wooten CD, Victor also plays with "Bela Fleck and the Flecktones". Wooten is an awesome bassist, a modern virtuoso - the things he does on a bass shouldn't be humanly possible - I highly recommend getting a copy of any of his CDs. Definitely not of the same style of Adam, but what fun would music be if it all sounded the same?

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

Congrats on the band AM!!!
So, you're gonna send us bootlegs of the gigs right?
smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Common Myths of a Bass or Bassist:

#1. A bass is an oversized guitar minus two strings.
#2. Bassists usually come in two categories; geek or cool.
#3. Bassists don't know how to play the guitar or were crappy guitar players in the past.
#4. We don't know how to be melodic.
#5. We became bassists because the band "needed" one.
#6. A 6-string bass is an oversized guitar!
#7. Chicks become bassists because all men dig chick bassists. (I personally hate this one with a passion.)
#8. Flea is the only good bassist out there.
#9. If you're not a jazz bassist, you're not considered a "real" bassist.
#10. **insert your myth here**

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question.

On another note.
Has anyone out there played a Fender Deluxe Precision Special? The one with the PJ pickup combination and the Jazz neck? How does it sound?

I'm thinking of upgrading to something more along the P-Bass line (not because of DorianGrey's suggestion, thank you!) but because it has a heavier bottom, which I like. Also, I don't want to have to shell the mega-coin for a P-Bass customized with a Jazz neck. (Yep, you guessed it - small hand dilemma!)

Any ideas how the Gibson Les Paul Bass sounds/costs? (Haven't found one in my area yet.)

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, alternatives? I'm open to all. I'm not a Fender loyalist (yet!)

------------------

grrr, I just entered Gibson.com to check out basses. You have enter their electric guitar section to look for bass guitars
mad.gif

J-Tree, I tried a Les Paul once and I liked it a lot. Not too heavy, nicely balanced, great sound. Just at that time I didn?t have the money to get it (second hand, about $1.200). If you see one, try it, I?m sure you like it.

------------------
Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. ~ Adam

Originally posted by J-Tree:
Congrats on the band AM!!!
So, you're gonna send us bootlegs of the gigs right?
smile.gif

what, you don?t want my autograph???
biggrin.gif

we won?t start rehearsing until september. And we are still looking for a singer. Anyway, I?m really looking forward to it.

------------------
Although it's a confusing time, I think it is genuinely exciting. I think the world is filled with possibilities at the moment. ~ Adam

I have a Fender Hot Rodded P-Bass - which is very much like the Fender Deluxe, it's got the P and J pickups, but it has the P-bass neck, not the J-neck. It's also the American made model, vs. the Mexican-made model that the Fender Deluxe is. I love the sound, the P gives enough bottom end and you can dial up the J pickup to give a some good mids if you want. I've picked up a Deluxe a couple of times just to check out the Jazz neck, it's a little small for my tastes, but that might be perfect for you.

Anyway the sound is great, I would definitely check it out if I were you.
On another note.
Has anyone out there played a Fender Deluxe Precision Special? The one with the PJ pickup combination and the Jazz neck? How does it sound?

I'm thinking of upgrading to something more along the P-Bass line (not because of DorianGrey's suggestion, thank you!) but because it has a heavier bottom, which I like. Also, I don't want to have to shell the mega-coin for a P-Bass customized with a Jazz neck. (Yep, you guessed it - small hand dilemma!)

Any ideas how the Gibson Les Paul Bass sounds/costs? (Haven't found one in my area yet.)

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, alternatives? I'm open to all. I'm not a Fender loyalist (yet!)

J-Tree, I have small hands as well. Have you tried an Ibanez? They are great, great sound and perfect for small hands. I?ve tried to play a Fender J-bass a couple of times, but I just can?t
frown.gif
It?s murder for my fingers.

------------------

I'll take your autograph any day AM. You never know... it might be worth something soon!
biggrin.gif

Ibanez huh? Never hurts to try something new.
biggrin.gif
How small are you hands AM?

------------------

Ibanez huh? Never hurts to try something new.
biggrin.gif

Ibanez make very nice bass guitars and they are not too expensive. Check out www.ibanez.com. I?ve got a soundgear (see pic above
smile.gif
)

How small are you hands AM?

LOL, do you want me to measure my fingers???
biggrin.gif
Wait a sec, middle finger is 3.5 inches
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Anyway, they are that small that I can?t comfortably play a Fender J-bass. I also tried some Warwick and Musicman basses, before I got my Ibanez. Try them as well. I loved the Musicman, but it was too dear for my budget.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

BTW - Dorian & J-Tree. Looks like we managed to convince Zoomerang II to check out bass guitars
smile.gif
I?m goint to show him a few shops in Dublin next week.
smile.gif

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

*does her best military voice*
Status report Sgt. AM!

How goes it? Was the package delivered?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

How's the band coming along AM?

Hey, what do you guys think of Krist Novesilic's (Nirvana bassist) bass playing? Just curious.

------------------

I think I managed to deliver the bass-virus to Zoomerang II. Poor, guy
biggrin.gif
I got some help from Whiteflag and together we checked out a couple of music shops in Dublin last Friday. There were some really, really nice ones out there - wishing I had some more money ... Just one thing that pissed me off: when I wanted to try one of the basses this guy from the music shop said: are you going to buy it or not? C?mon, who buys an instrument without playing it first???

Anyway - the band will gather next week for the first time. So watch the birth of a brand new band closely next week
biggrin.gif

------------------

Originally posted by AM:
Just one thing that pissed me off: when I wanted to try one of the basses this guy from the music shop said: are you going to buy it or not? C?mon, who buys an instrument without playing it first???

Eeeh, that's lame...
frown.gif

How come this thread has quieted down all of a sudden?
confused.gif

How come this thread has quieted down all of a sudden?
confused.gif

maybe because we are all busy practizing our instruments.
smile.gif
I got my first bass lesson yesterday and my fingers hurt just like after the first time I played bass. All this new stuff, great! I?m really excited.
smile.gif
I?m going to learn some new techinques, but my poor fingers
biggrin.gif

How are your lessons going? What are you learning, new techinques, new styles?

------------------

Had my second lesson yeserday and my fingers are still hurting. Gee, the things I wrong...

BTW - I gave up on the double bass, it?s just not my thing. The guy just wanted to teach classic stuff, no jazz or blues styles
frown.gif
But now that I found the other guy, it?s really great. I?ve learned more in those last two weeks than ever before
smile.gif

------------------

Hey AM,

Lessons are okay. I'm pretty bored... mostly because I'm re-learning stuff I already know.

As a result, I've decided to challenge myself. Although I don't really know how much of a challenge it will be!
eek.gif

I'm gonna tab out every (or most) U2 songs by myself by album order. If figure this way, I'll learn how Adam came about his lines and maybe incorporate some of his style into my own.

Anything to get over the last 2 months that I'm on contract with my current teacher. Then I'll wait till after Christmas to find a new teacher... or sooner if I'm dying to play. LOL

------------------
You're singing out of tune but the beat's in time; it's us who makes the noise.

I?m sorry about your lessons. Hey, why don?t you come over and my guy gives you lessons as well? During my last lesson he said that one hour per week is just not enough and we just went on playing for another 40 minutes. So my lessons are now about 100 minutes long. Great stuff, because I usually need a lot of time to warn up. He?s going to organize a drummer for me for my next lesson, without any extra cost. What do you think, should I be nice to the drummer or a pain
biggrin.gif

------------------

OH COOL!
You get to play with a drummer... I'd be so confused. LOL The only drummer I've ever played with is Larry when I push "Play."

Ha ha ha - bah-dum ching!

Anyways, yeah, be nice... I'm sure he'll appreciate it. How's your band coming along?

*wonders if this should be confined to email*

------------------
You're singing out of tune but the beat's in time & it's us who makes the noise.

SlipStream Soul

hey, I?m gonna lay my first ever gig next Friday (october 5th).

Wish me luck!
smile.gif

------------------

*waves hands frantically*
LOL

How did your gig go AM?

LOL - check your mailbox
smile.gif

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

my bass teacher is in love with my bass. he uses every oportunity to play it... it?s kinda funny, really
smile.gif
what can I do, my bass just sounds so cool ...

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

Hey AM, you know what... I was at the store the other day looking for the Soundgear, and I couldn't find it!
eek.gif

frown.gif

------------------
Hip Pontiff of Sparkyism

"There's no room for spiritual constitpation here!" - Ian Astbury, The Cult

SlipStream Soul

Hey AM, you know what... I was at the store the other day looking for the Soundgear, and I couldn't find it!

that?s too bad, a lot of music shops do not have Ibanez Soundgers, which is a petty really. They all seem to have only Fenders which are kinda in again. Are there any other music shops in your area? Or just pop over and you can play mine
smile.gif
Have you checked their webpage?? www.ibanez.com You can pick your country and see the dealers in your area
smile.gif

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

Hey guys - sorry I've been gone for a while.

Things have been a little busy here in the US lately. The building I work in was partially destroyed in the terrorists attacks last month so I've been a little busy (and now I guess you know where I work).

Anyway, AM it's good to hear you're in a band. Please keep us up to date on what's going on with the gigs. I'm sure I speak for all the rest of us "Adamites" when I say good luck.

Hope everyone is doing well, keep the bottom end moving.

Originally posted by DorianGray:
Hey guys - sorry I've been gone for a while.

Things have been a little busy here in the US lately. The building I work in was partially destroyed in the terrorists attacks last month so I've been a little busy (and now I guess you know where I work).

hey Dorian, great to hear from you again. I didn?t know that you were from NY. Anyway, it?s good to know that you are save and ok.

The band is doing fine. We will propably perform again around Christmas. That?ll give us enough time to work on our songs and get them right. You know drummers can be a real pain, especially when they don?t listen to their bass-players. But I guess you know this already.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

I'm in DC - not NYC. I work in that funny-shaped five-sided building.

I'll be on the lookout for bootlegs from your Christmas show - good luck to ya.

Originally posted by AM:
hey Dorian, great to hear from you again. I didn?t know that you were from NY. Anyway, it?s good to know that you are save and ok.

The band is doing fine. We will propably perform again around Christmas. That?ll give us enough time to work on our songs and get them right. You know drummers can be a real pain, especially when they don?t listen to their bass-players. But I guess you know this already.
biggrin.gif

------------------
------------------

"Abno@#% B%#adg jvre#$ molpwnq asdinjnwii, irminl" - from Elvis Presley and America, The Unforgettable Fire
pmarquez@grci.com
U2 Fan/Bassist/Etc.

Back
Top Bottom