Is Edge a Great Guitarist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge is one of the guitar players more in the vein of the David Gilmour-type of guitar playing. Good technical skill, but NOT a showoff. Edge plays for the song, not to be excessive with the licks - he can do that live.

Most people argue that Jimmy Page is a superior guitar player to David Gilmour, but for me, the first and second solos from Comfortably Numb are the greatest two guitar parts ever composed or played ever.

It's all a matter of perspective as to what "good" is.

The Edge's guitar playing is simple, yet powerful. What makes the Joshua Tree so great is that the Edge's guitar playing on every single song is masterful. Simply masterful. When I listen to the Edge play guitar, he brings out so much emotion. It's absolutely brilliant.

Well i would put The Edge right next to John Squire (from Stone Roses), David Gilmour, Johny Marr, Jimmi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.
Richie Sambora?? He is a good guitarrist... but what the hell did he do that was never done before? Where the originality in his style of play?? Does he have a unique sound?? Of course not.
To be honest my favourite guitarrist is John Squire. I think the guy has a gift. Go listen "This Is The One", or "Waterfall" from The Stone Roses and you will know what im talking about. Just Like The Edge, John Squire is not a fast guitarrist but he brings so many emotions to the music and at the same time makes the music fulfill. Just to mention: John Squire was considered the most talented guitarrist in the late 80's/early 90's. Unfortunately Stone Roses disbanded and John Squire went "inactive".
The Edge may well be the most "intelligent guitarrist" in the world in a way that no one in the world can take all the advantages of technnology from the guitar like him. So that makes him one of the best guitarrist of all time.
Although... talking about solos... and agreeing with Canadiens1160, i still think the best guitar solo belongs to David Gilmour from Pink Floyd when he played the glorious "Comfortably Numb" solo.

Last edited:
I think we all need to go back to Edge 101: Boy and Edge 201: October. Twilight, An Cat Dubh, Electric Co. Gloria, Scarlet, I threw a Brick, rejoice, I fall down- The Edge is all about tone, innovation, creating mood, abstract hamonic ideas. He is one of the greatest "guitar artists" of all time. To me, The greatest sounds I've ever heard from a guitar come from the Edge, especially the early albums. They're actually more complex musically than the later albums. I can figure out most of Edge's playing by ear but I still haven't figured out what the heck he's doing on the verses and chorus of Twilight. Pretty abstract for a pop song. The guy's a genius. Period. That being said, I think he's starting to recycle himself on the new album.

I agree on Twilight. I have been trying to figure out the verses for years (on and off naturally ;)). Have you studied the live version from Red Rocks. It seems he plays it a bit different there. Very cool as well - and just as hard to figure out.

He uses the same style in 11 'o clock tick tock. That one is just a little easier to figure out.

I can't figure out that damn chord on An Cat Dubh during the "about you" lyric. I sat down with my guitar and the Boy CD last night, 20 years, 5 bands, 10 guitars, 1500 gigs later, since I last tried to figure it out and still couldn't do it. I learned the rest of it though. When in doubt, play an open E.

I'll try it tonight with the Red Rocks version.

I just listened to An Cat Dubh. I'm not sure that I got it right, but this is as close as I'm going to get for now.

Note that I have my guitar tuned a ½ step down to Eb. The Edge's guitar is also tuned down for this song. So when I write F that would mean E on a guitar tuned to standard pitch.

When Bono sings "About you" The Edge first plays

F5
1 3 3 X X X

This is followed by the chord that I had the most trouble with. I guess it's the same chord that you have struggled with. To me it sounds like:

F6add9
X X 3 2 3 3

Last edited:
By the way. When trying to figure out many of the old U2 tunes it is essential to tune your guitar down a half step. I guess there are a few that are in standard tuning but most are not.

The reason that it's essential to tune down is that The Edge used open strings a lot on the early albums. It might be possible to play many of the songs without using the open strings as he does, but it won't sound right and will probably make it harder to play and figure out.

Yes you have to tune down, that's the first thing I do. Open strings are mandatory to the Edge's sound.

After getting to know his style, you can sort of get into his mind and see how he forms chords. That F6add9 seems very wierd, but I'll try it. FADG. I knew there was a G, Bono's note is D, and I think the bass is playing F so you may be right. Thanks

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about that chord either. Maybe he only plays the G, B and E strings. Or maybe he plays something entirely different. It was the closest I could get though. Let me hear what you think, when you have played it along with the record.

- Thomas

This may be it: E string: 3rd fret (G), Bstring: Open (B), G string:2nd fret (A), D string 3rd fret (F). So: basically the same chord you came up with but with an open B

Couldn't resist looking at this thread. IMO Edge is an extremely awesome guitarist. The riffs that he comes up with fit with the songs so well and I think that's what matters most. They're simple but very catchy. Sure it'd be great to hear him do crazy solos but if it doesn't go with the song then whatever.

edge is tastfull.
he has influenced who knows how many people. his amazing licks have touched heart and soul, not just dropped a jaw on a basis of speed
i consider him great forsure

babyman said:
edge is full of ideas, he's a fantastic composer...but unfortunately he's not so a big virtuoso with solos!!

one must take into consideration edge's role with the band.
u2 is not edge and the boys band. it is u2. he is there as lead guitarist but if given the chance to be a solo guitarist then i think he can do so.

besides, U2 songs are not really guitar songs. they may be guitar driven like what bono described the bomb album but
essentially their songs are not guitar songs. it is not fair to compare him to solo guitarists like clapton, hendrix or sambora though honestly i have never heard of him (maybe did not listen to that "genre" of music.

his riff on With orWithout You made it a classic U2 song and the riff remains one of my favorites. so simple so classic. clear, clean and not clutter-y. the way i want to listen to guitar riffs. it's all a matter of taste really.

He's defintiely top 20 in anyone who actually understands contemporary music list's, not an average guitarists favorite but those people's favorites all rate Edge beyond and with themselves, put it this way look at all the great music he's wrote and of course the great performances plus The Fly is easily the best use of a wah pedal I've ever heard

Edge is cleaner on it though, great tone while using the wah, good stuff eh

He's very subtle manipulating the midrange sweep of the wah on the Fly solo. Hendrix used it for more of the full sweep wah wah effect.

Hendrix and the Edge are both geniuses at manipulating the tone of the guitar, using tone as a tool.

It's my opinion that the greatest U2 guitar albums were Boy and October and perhaps War. The later albums are brilliant in their own right but used more keyboards and more Eno/Lanois influence. The guitar parts are less complex.

Mr Sarajevo said:
I wanna know what people think of the edge as a guitarist. In terms of technical ability, imagination, use of technology etc. Does he rate alongside the greats such as Hendrix, Clapton, Slash, Page etc? What are his strengths/weaknesses?

I think he is one of the most important and influential guitarists of his time but then again I know guitarists who laugh at his technical ability and would class him as just a rhythm guitarist. What do you think?

Here's the real deal folks. How good of a guitarist you are has everything to do with your technical ability. Just because you're popular doesn't make you a great guitarist. There are so many progressive, jazz, classical, and flamenco guitarists that hardly anyone has ever heard of but they can play circles around the edge. That's because the edge has no ability. Period. I have no idea why U2 is popular but they are, and so they get all kinds of recognition. This does not make the edge a great guitarist. Kurt Cobain seems to be recognized as some kind of great guitarist because of his influence on so much music, and I could see that EXCEPT that the reason why poor guitarists like Cobain and the edge have such influence is because their music is easy to play and thus accessible to a lot of people with absolutely no talent or knowledge of the guitar. The thing that makes you a guitarist is your GUITAR. Pushing the limits on what can be done with a guitar is the name of the game. The edge hasn't pushed any limits that Yngwie Malmsteen or John Mclaughlin didn't already push back in the 70s, not to mention Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, John Petrucci, or even Esteban from the Home Shopping Network. These people have real ability to control the instrument in a very wide variety of styles, tones, and speeds. If the edge has a distinctive sound that you like, then maybe you should say he has one of the greatest sounds, or if he is good with technology then maybe he is a great technologist, but the man by no means has a mastery of the guitar or its intricacies. Sorry. Oh by the way, Richie Sambora blows him away and I am not a Bon Jovi fan in the least. Peace.

First of lol to your comment about Ritchie Sambora, but my man you fail to exhibit any knowledge of The Edge as a player at all, sure as hell he's a great technologist, a master of manipulating tone, he does have good technical ability yet remains modest and non self serving like alot of guitarists end up as, have you listened to bootlegs of The Lovetown Tour? Sticking Cobain and Edge in the same group is pathetic and ill infromed, Edge is "smarter" (yes we're talking straight frowards intelligence) than probably anyone else who had ever picked up a guitar, and he shows it, Steve Vai somehow I doubt could play the solo toThe Fly and make it sound as good as Edge can, because whenever you see a U2 song tabbed and you attempt to play your going to make it sound so bad you wouldn't believe but you can play anything Jimmy Page played off tab straight from the word go if your a decent guitarist. Edge also as guitar world states is "An abstract artist" he can create soundscapes with his guitar that noone else can do, yes he is the one and only guitarist who can conjure up mountains, lakes, emotion et al all at the same time, I don't really have to say anymore except............................................he picks clean as hell too, oh wait maybe one more thing in the words of BB King " Edge is a band all by himself"

I haven't had to mention how much of a better songwriter he is too than all of those guitarists put together

In my opinion edge floods his sound with wah and other effects to make up for the fact that he can't manipulate the sound through technique. Effects are great but should only be used to enhance or slightly modify the sound of the guitar, not create a completely different sound which is hardly intelligible. I can turn my tone way down, play on the front humbucker, push the wah pedal all the way back and add a delay so that you get a major flood of muffled noise that might be in key, but that's something I've been able to do for 10 years. Guitar is about the continued learning and innovation of an endless array of techniques and styles. Most of the edge's stuff is based off techniques and styles which he has employed for quite some time, but I think the true great guitarists learn from all different styles and instruments and take that influence and embrace it. I would not classify myself as a great guitarist but I certainly take queues from as many styles of music as I can from shred guitar and death metal to bluegrass and country all the way to jazz and the blues, and I try not to write off any style of music without giving it a real chance and studying its style. There are so many different things that you can do with a guitar that it is a shame to just quit at one style that you like or are content with playing. You have to strive to amaze yourself. I just don't think the edge has taken the guitar seriously as something which you must continuously work at and push the bar higher and higher.

That said, I also think there is beauty in simplicity, but there are plenty of artists I like to listen to that I would not classify as great, just because I like their songs. I am trying to take an objective approach to measuring skill as a guitarist, and not be biased based on personal opinion. Singers are classified as great if they have good vocal skills and styles, but most of the "great" singers don't write their own songs, so I think you have to separate songwriting from use of technology from creativity from skill from stage presence from good looks from community interaction. Each of these things is an area to gauge greatness in itself and indeed much of that has everything to do with popularity and success in addition to ambition. The point here is that if you want to measure the greatness of a guitarist, I think you measure skill at playing and knowledge of the instrument. If you want to measure artistry and showmanship, or skill as an entertainer then perhaps you take into account multiple traits outside the ability to play guitar.

So maybe I'm stuck on nomenclature, but I really wouldn't put the technical skill required to play the fly solo anywhere close to what you would need to play malmsteen's far beyond the sun or anything liquid tension expirement did. Anyone can wail on one note repeatedly and bend it, it might as well be a creed solo.

I wasn't implying that playing The fly solo was as technically advanced as Far Beyond The Sun, I'm surprised though from your praise of Malmsteen from the other points you make, he's a repetitive dullard imo, back to my main point though The Fly Solo is barely one note repetition ( Neil Young can do that amazingly well though) you have to cover 12 frets while playing it and with bends and hammers on and pulloffs to make it tastier, then to get the right sound you've to be able to manipulate the mid range of the wah perfectly to get the whole thing sounding right.

The way I would rate guitarists actually includes everything other aswell as technical ability, this is why I prefer Jimi Hendrix over Joe Satriani, don't get me wrong I think Satch is great, and have have been "Surfing With The Alien" for a while but Jimi just has that extra intangible quality that he lacks. I'm guessing we'll have to beg to differ remember my man musical opinion and taste is subjective, peace

Back
Top Bottom