Invisible Guitar Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one dropped a half step and played it in E?

Oh yeah, it's just not as good.

First things first - because Edge is not playing standard chords here - you also need the bass notes to reflect a proper simple chord version.

Half step down seems natural at first. E and A in the verses, easy as pie, right?
The problem becomes the third chord change in the chorus.

The actual chord is D# - or playing basic E (major) in half-step down.
But there is no proper change if you play it this way.

these are the actual chords, notes and timing, regardless of tuning.
*D#/G (12 beats) - D# (4 beats)

Half Step Down - you're essentially going from E...to E (actual D# in standard tuning).

The reason you play it standard tuning with a capo is so that you can play the bass note that Adam is playing.

Adam plays (F-G#-G) - actual notes - regardless of tuning.

Half step down - you play F#m to get the F, then A to get the G# and then in order to play that G - you'd play G#.

In other words, your fingering to play that particular bass note (if you want to play that bass note, and why wouldn't you if it can be easily done?) would look like this.

E 0
B 0
G 1
D 2
A 2
E 4 (*)

*-that's the G# bass note you'd need to play to give it the full dynamic (IMO). Otherwise you're strumming that low E string all the way though in that section of the chorus with no 'bassy' movement.

Hope all that reads as well as I wanted it to. Either way, (I'm sure people will scrutinize the chord selections and feel free...) I fully endorse the standard tuning version using the capo on the 1st fret because it sounds better.

Oh yeah, it's just not as good.

First things first - because Edge is not playing standard chords here - you also need the bass notes to reflect a proper simple chord version.

Half step down seems natural at first. E and A in the verses, easy as pie, right?
The problem becomes the third chord change in the chorus.

The actual chord is D# - or playing basic E (major) in half-step down.
But there is no proper change if you play it this way.

these are the actual chords, notes and timing, regardless of tuning.
*D#/G (12 beats) - D# (4 beats)

Half Step Down - you're essentially going from E...to E (actual D# in standard tuning).

The reason you play it standard tuning with a capo is so that you can play the bass note that Adam is playing.

Adam plays (F-G#-G) - actual notes - regardless of tuning.

Half step down - you play F#m to get the F, then A to get the G# and then in order to play that G - you'd play G#.

In other words, your fingering to play that particular bass note (if you want to play that bass note, and why wouldn't you if it can be easily done?) would look like this.

E 0
B 0
G 1
D 2
A 2
E 4 (*)

*-that's the G# bass note you'd need to play to give it the full dynamic (IMO). Otherwise you're strumming that low E string all the way though in that section of the chorus with no 'bassy' movement.

Hope all that reads as well as I wanted it to. Either way, (I'm sure people will scrutinize the chord selections and feel free...) I fully endorse the standard tuning version using the capo on the 1st fret because it sounds better.
This is a really great explanation, thanks a bunch! Like you said my first inclination was to drop half a step for the lead part at least, and I think that still works if you are only playing the synth hook and chime/classic Edge notes. But this certainly makes sense for the chords.

Gonna give it a shot this weekend, thanks!

Tom: G#

(intro)

(D#)

(During the intro to The Edge is playing in 11 house on B string, while running the riff below)

E|------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|15-17-15-12---15-17-15-12---10-12-10-5---10-12-10-5---8-10-8-12---|
D|------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------------------------------------------------------------|

(verse)

D#
It’s like the room just cleared of smoke
G#
I didn’t even want the heart you broke
It’s yours to keep
You just might need one

D#
I finally found my real name
G#
I won’t be me when you see me again
No, I won’t be my father’s son

Fm G#
I’m more than you know
Gm
I’m more than you see here
G#
More than you let me be
Dm
I’m more than you know
G#
A body in a soul
Gm
You don’t see me but you will
G#
I am not invisible

(The Edge does approximately this riff in the chorus (as music is new, I could not
examine the riff unerringly))

B|13-------------------------13----------------------13-------------|
G|---15--(8X)---15-12-(8x)------15-(8x)---15-12-(4x)----15--(4x)----|

(intro)

(That's right)
(I’ll be in the invisible world)

(verse)

D#
I don’t dream, not as such
G#
I don’t even think about you that much
Unless I start to think at all

D#
All those frozen days
And your frozen ways
G#
They melt away your face like snow

(chorus)

Fm G#
I’m more than you know
Gm
I’m more than you see here
G#
I’m more than you let me be
Fm
I’m more than you know
G#
A body in a soul
Gm
You don’t see me but you will
G#
I am not invisible
C
I am here

(Solo)

(F D# Fm C D# Fm A#m)

E|----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------------------------------|
G|17-15-12-10-8-12---12-10-12-13-12-8-----------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------|

G|17-15-12-10-8-12---12-10-12-13-12-3-----------------------------|

(Final)

D#
There is no them
There is no them

G|10-10-12-10-5--(2x)---------------------------------------------|

Fm
There’s only us
There’s only us

D#
There is no them
There is no them

G|10-12-10-5--(2x)------------------------------------------------|

Fm
There’s only us
There’s only us

D#
There is no them
There is no them

G|10-10-12-10-5--(2x)---------------------------------------------|

Fm
There’s only you
And there’s only me

D#
There is no them

I'm not fond of this one. I don't think this is what we'll see live. (ETA: sorry, I guess this was an example of the 'simple chord version'. My bad. If that's what one is going for, it's probably a great version, for sure. I'm just thinking - hoping - that we'll see Adam do that Hooky-bass stuff from 0:20 or so..)

This guy's is the best in this thread so far, imo, in terms of the "way" we'll see Edge play this song live. There may be a bum note or two (during "I'm more than you know.." maybe? It's really noisy so hard to tell) but to me this seems a good way to play this.

U2 Invisible guitar cover - YouTube

Tom: G#

(intro)

(D#)

(During the intro to The Edge is playing in 11 house on B string, while running the riff below)

B|------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|15-17-15-12---15-17-15-12---10-12-10-5---10-12-10-5---8-10-8-12---|

(The Edge does approximately this riff in the chorus (as music is new, I could not
examine the riff unerringly))

B|13-------------------------13----------------------13-------------|
G|---15--(8X)---15-12-(8x)------15-(8x)---15-12-(4x)----15--(4x)----|
The synth guitar part is played on the B string only (you can see that on the making of video)

The chorus riff is played on the first three strings.
I'm pretty sure that it's like this, you need to let ring arpeggiating the notes

E|------8-----------8---------------------------------------------8----------8------------|
B|-----------11----------------------11--9--11----------------------11---------------------|
G|-10*------------------10--(4x)-----------------10--(4x)-----------------10-(x4)------|
D|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
*this note is played only the first time the introduce the chorus

E|-----8-----------8------------------------------------------8----------8------------|
B|----------11-------------------11--9--11----------------------11---------------------|
G|-------------------10--(4x)-----------------10--(2x)-----------------10-(x2)------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Wait..that dude in the video added something in the verses I think lol...it sounds neat, but I don't think it's in the real song. Huh. Well it sounds cool, guess that's his spin on it.

Why do you guys call it a synth guitar part? Do you think it is all that different than the effect he used on, say, COBL or the bridge of SYCMIOYO? Miracle Drug? Seems very similar to me, it's just placed further back in the mix compressed or whatever..but live? I think it's going to be more out front and 'dirtier' or whatever..like the solo..no?

Alot of the various elements of Invisible seems like the perfect pop song they struggled but couldn't quite find on Bomb..

I really like seeing other people's takes on the song, it's really interesting.

Anybody have any thoughts/advice for how to put up a backing track to a guitar cover on YouTube without it getting copyright claimed? Had trouble with that.

Wait..that dude in the video added something in the verses I think lol...it sounds neat, but I don't think it's in the real song. Huh. Well it sounds cool, guess that's his spin on it.

Why do you guys call it a synth guitar part? Do you think it is all that different than the effect he used on, say, COBL or the bridge of SYCMIOYO? Miracle Drug? Seems very similar to me, it's just placed further back in the mix compressed or whatever..but live? I think it's going to be more out front and 'dirtier' or whatever..like the solo..no?

Alot of the various elements of Invisible seems like the perfect pop song they struggled but couldn't quite find on Bomb..

hmmm im not sure cause I've tried to use the same effect that i use during MD but it just does not sound good.

1. No capo :D

Edge doesn't use a capo either. But mimicking Edge is not the point of using the capo to play this song, it's trying to best recreate the song on a single guitar/no delay. I play the acoustic a lot because it's quiet, so I spend a lot of time over the years just figuring out chord-only versions.

Edge doesn't use a capo either.

Check out the Making Of video tho, he clearly has a capo on the first fret in a couple of the frames. Not sure what he's doing with it, but it seems to be in conjunction with him running through that riff..

Has anyone figured out the chords based on tuned down half step?

Because the crunchy rhythm guitar, that I imagine Bono playing live that's going on in the background of this song...it sounds to me like it's following what Adam is doing, and if I go by Adams notes I get something slightly different than what most have written above for the chorus and solo parts especially.

For instance, the first note of the solo to me I'm getting by playing in the position of C#m (remember I'm down half step), which is a very U2ey way to start a solo..

I'm not being facetious and sorry that I don't know as much as everyone else but if anyone wants to take a stab at just the basic rhythm part assuming tuned down...I'd appreciate it immensely!

Re-recorded a full cover today w/all guitar parts, think it sounds solid! Gonna try and do video tomorrow if I can. Lots of work but it's been fun, and I'm really loving this song.

Also very frustrated how YouTube copyright claims any time I use the song. How to get around this?

Are they banning it? Or just putting the copyright note on it? Most of my videos are copyrighted.

Check out the Making Of video tho, he clearly has a capo on the first fret in a couple of the frames. Not sure what he's doing with it, but it seems to be in conjunction with him running through that riff..

Has anyone figured out the chords based on tuned down half step?

Because the crunchy rhythm guitar, that I imagine Bono playing live that's going on in the background of this song...it sounds to me like it's following what Adam is doing, and if I go by Adams notes I get something slightly different than what most have written above for the chorus and solo parts especially.

For instance, the first note of the solo to me I'm getting by playing in the position of C#m (remember I'm down half step), which is a very U2ey way to start a solo..

I'm not being facetious and sorry that I don't know as much as everyone else but if anyone wants to take a stab at just the basic rhythm part assuming tuned down...I'd appreciate it immensely!
Literally just taking U2DM's chords and translating them into a half step down:

Verse
E A
F#m A
Chorus
F#m A G#m E
F#m A G#m A
Bridge
C# F#m E B
Outro
E F#m

Literally just taking U2DM's chords and translating them into a half step down:

Verse
E A
F#m A
Chorus
F#m A G#m E
F#m A G#m A
Bridge
C# F#m E B
Outro
E F#m

Thanks! This is pretty much what I ended up doing, also. Always good to get a second set of ears.

After playing around with both ways tho, I'm loving the capo method. Alot more open chords..which for me is better sounding especially the first chord of the chorus.. so because I'm tuned down half step I just capo the second fret instead of the first (thanks Martin, lurker! lol). Maybe this is not "right" but it's workin for now ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVR7dakcCU8

Welp, here's my updated cover! Did all of the parts this time around and really took more time to nail things down, even like what parts are panned to which sides, stuff like that. (you can hear that in the chorus with the rhythm guitar vs. chime notes)

Again I recorded the video and audio separately, so if there's small discrepancies there that's why!

Feedback is appreciated, I definitely feel like I have a pulse on all of the parts a lot more this time around. Again it's probably not perfect but I think it's close.

Great work!

Great work. I have shared it with the U2 Recording FB page and U2 recording Yahoo Group.

What are you using the synth-y slide bit? What effect?

Welp, here's my updated cover! Did all of the parts this time around and really took more time to nail things down, even like what parts are panned to which sides, stuff like that. (you can hear that in the chorus with the rhythm guitar vs. chime notes)

Again I recorded the video and audio separately, so if there's small discrepancies there that's why!

Feedback is appreciated, I definitely feel like I have a pulse on all of the parts a lot more this time around. Again it's probably not perfect but I think it's close.

Great work. I have shared it with the U2 Recording FB page and U2 recording Yahoo Group.

What are you using the synth-y slide bit? What effect?

Thanks! Appreciate it.

As for effects... (this is all in Pod Farm 2.5)

For the synth parts, in addition to my usual A-30 Top Boost/1x12 Class A-15 Cab/Noise Gate combination, I'm using 'Synth Lead', Wave 6, 100% Decay and roughly 60% in the mix. Know that's super specific but anybody w/Pod Farm should check it out! Also using Screamer distortion over top of it. You can tell what exactly the Synth adds at like the 3 minute mark... I start the outro with just the Screamer on and then hit the synth when the drums kick back in.

breathe - I know you PM'd me about this but totally spaced on responding! Not as familiar with the M13 but hopefully some of that helps.

Great work!! That's me in the lil tiny window! :D

Thanks for all of the nice comments everybody! I appreciate it. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom