Interested in getting a delay pedal for the first time...suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
I'm looking for one on the cheaper side ($30-$75/$80) that will do basic delay stuff and that will allow me to get some delay effects for playing U2 songs like Pride, Still Haven't Found, Ultraviolet, Streets, and such.

Any help?

I guess I'm just spoiled, but at the very least, I'd suggest an Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy Deluxe. It has a tap-tempo, which is important for playing live in my opinion. You can find one used for less than double the original poster's price range. Better to save for something a little better than to get something and in six months decide you need to upgrade. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, and passing on my knowledge. :wink:

You do get what you pay for. There are not decent delay pedals that are very cheap.

Breathe: You don't want an EH Memory Man. You want a EH DELUXE Memory Man.

Memory Man doesn't have the modulation delay. DELUXE Memory Man does. (If you get the Deluxe Memory Man, you want to use the VIBRATO not the CHORUS for the modultation)

The newer Memory Boy and such.... avoid.

Sometimes it is better to save money and have the delayed gratification of getting what it RIGHT instead of what is merely RIGHT NOW.

If you rush into it or buy something on the cheap, chances are you will regret it and end up with a piece of gear that has little to NO re-sale value.

Hear me now, believe me later.

Better idea?

Line 6 DL4. $250.00 and it will give you all sorts of delays. You can probably find one for cheaper on eBay.

You do get what you pay for. There are not decent delay pedals that are very cheap.

Breathe: You don't want an EH Memory Man. You want a EH DELUXE Memory Man.

Memory Man doesn't have the modulation delay. DELUXE Memory Man does. (If you get the Deluxe Memory Man, you want to use the VIBRATO not the CHORUS for the modultation)

The newer Memory Boy and such.... avoid.

Sometimes it is better to save money and have the delayed gratification of getting what it RIGHT instead of what is merely RIGHT NOW.

If you rush into it or buy something on the cheap, chances are you will regret it and end up with a piece of gear that has little to NO re-sale value.

Hear me now, believe me later.

Better idea?

Line 6 DL4. $250.00 and it will give you all sorts of delays. You can probably find one for cheaper on eBay.
Thanks!

I had a DL4. It really colors your tone. If that bugs you (like it did me), avoid. I avoid anything that isn't true bypass. By the way, having played both the Deluxe Memory Man and the Memory Boy... I liked the Memory Boy better. :shrug:

I have a DMM (old one!) and soundwise it's heaven. No need to say that you'll get Edge's sound up to TUF with the Memory Man.

That said, delays w/out a display are obviously not everyone's choice. I personally love just fiddling around with it until I get it right. Plus, it's a good practice for your ear. :) Also, many will complain tone coloring and bypass. It's not a big issue to me and if you send it in to analogman, they can do some great mods which are well worth the money and bring out the best out of the DMM!

If you're lucky, you'll find one on eBay for around 200USD, but they're not getting any cheaper these days.

I used to have a Boss DD-20 and I loved it. Now I have an M13, but I'm probably going to go back to the DD-20. The tap tempo is more accurate IMO, and I like that you can see the actually time in ms you tapped (this helps you make sure you're in the right ballpark and allows for more precise tuning). It's a little more expensive, but it's worth it. I never noticed any sound coloring. Also, you get 4 presets, so you can set one for dotted 8ths (Steets, Bad, etc.), one for quarter (New Year's Day, etc.), one for 8ths (Out of Control, I Will Follow, a lot of early stuff), and one for whatever you want (maybe more warble ala New York, more repeats ala Magnificent or Velvet Dress, Dual delay for Pride--if you can figure out the timing).

Boss DD-20 is great. ($229)
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay Pedal at zZounds

TC Electronics NOVA Delay is pretty cool. ($249)
TC Electronic ND1 Nova Delay Pedal at zZounds

And their new TC Electronic Flashback Delay and Looper Pedal ($169) has received fantastic reviews in guitar magazines.

TC Electronic Flashback Delay and Looper Pedal at zZounds

I used to have a Boss DD-20 and I loved it. Now I have an M13, but I'm probably going to go back to the DD-20. The tap tempo is more accurate IMO, and I like that you can see the actually time in ms you tapped (this helps you make sure you're in the right ballpark and allows for more precise tuning). It's a little more expensive, but it's worth it. I never noticed any sound coloring. Also, you get 4 presets, so you can set one for dotted 8ths (Steets, Bad, etc.), one for quarter (New Year's Day, etc.), one for 8ths (Out of Control, I Will Follow, a lot of early stuff), and one for whatever you want (maybe more warble ala New York, more repeats ala Magnificent or Velvet Dress, Dual delay for Pride--if you can figure out the timing).

Nova Delay by TC adds a ridiculous amount of noise to your signal and also is not true bypass. I sold mine after two months of trying to isolate my noise using everything from filtered power to true bypass loopers. TC Nova Delay and Nova Reverb were 100% responsible for all of it. My Tele with non-noiseless single coil pickups is quieter--even in a room with fluorescent lights. I will never, ever, ever own another TC pedal.

Back
Top Bottom