I'm Not Allowed To Ask This Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Freedman

War Child
I'm getting gravely disappointed that I can't start a conversation with other U2 guitar-playing fans about figuring out the chords of the new songs.

I do not think at all that it is in the spirit of the band label's restrictions to not discuss something as innocent as this. And I guarantee this would NOT stand up in court. I'm really, really disappointed.

Is there anyone who can e-mail me to start a conversation? I'm afraid of even mentioning what song I'm trying to figure out.

I think this completely and utterly sucks, and I think this is taking things too far. I have to respect Elvis's concerns, though, since this is his site, so I'm considering reopening my forum to include a section on guitar. It's ridiculous to not even be able to talk about this with other fans.

In this day and age, do I have to now resort to picking up a phone and having a conference call, or take it down to a one-on-one level of e-mail for something which should naturally and safely be a public discussion?

I'm willing to take this chance on my site, because I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt this is any fucking business of the label.

Sorry. I'm usually not this angry and vocal, but I am just beyond frustration about this.

My e-mail address is Mark@U2BloodRedSky.com, if anyone wants to discuss this taboo subject of how to play U2 songs on the guitar with me.

Sorry if this pisses you off, Elvis, but it's not really about you. It's really about the label.

Thank you.

I agree Mark. I think it's ridiculous that you aren't "allowed" to talk about this. I don't see what the problem is. :shrug:

I thought these boards were supposed to be for fans to discuss the music. After all, isn't the music the main reason we're fans in the first place?

Well, apparently, if we talk too specifically about the music, Interscope will shut the site down.

Its NOT the label.

Its the publishing group. Two different things... owned by one huge company.

Elvis said:
Its NOT the label.

Its the publishing group. Two different things... owned by one huge company.

Ok, same difference. The result is the same. The outcome is the same. The frustration is the same. The ridiculousness of it is the same. The idiocy of the company is the same no matter what sub-company it is.

Man, if I didn't have to worry about my family, I'd make it a life mission to bring these assholes to justice. I'd counter sue their asses.

Ok, my ugly side is showing. I hope I'm not shocking anyone. But, if you ask me, everyone should be outraged about many things about the label, the RIAA, the supreme lack of common sense. There's a lot of pent-up anger coming out here.

Am I bugging ya? I didn't mean to bug ya.

I also think I need to change my avatar, not to mention most other members should probably change their's, also. Did they include that in the C&D, I wonder? Bastards.

Hmmm. You have a point. It started out here because it was initially going to be about a song from the album.

Elvis, is it possible to move this to Three Chords and the Truth? There I can continue my own personal blog to rage against the machine.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, the question I originally had is about the 11th track of the most recent album from the best band in the world.

Look, if you're looking for tablature for U2 songs, there's a great site that has Guitar Pro tabs for every artist. I don't know if you're familiar with Guitar Pro, but it's the best tabbing software available.

Just type in these search keywords in google: guitar pro tabs U2 (or any other artist). The site has 72 easily readable tabs for U2---many of the tabs are full-band tabs. Hell, here's the site's name: mysongbook.com. I don't care---the site is legit, because there are thousands of artists tabbed there.

I certainly have a big problem with Elvis blocking conversation about sharing tabs and such, but he didn't lift a finger to stop the file sharing of U2's leaked album. If he is so respectful of the label, why did he allow the illegal sharing of U2 songs go on without even a single warning? Which is more valuable? Tabs or songs? Don't tell me that Elvis didn't stop it because the label doesn't mind it.

Also, I can tab out any song and it would be MY OWN INTERPRETATION of the song, and therefore the publishing company doesn't own the tab that I came up with. All of the tab sites have this legal protection. So why is it so important to lock down on tab sharing, when the songs themselves were stolen with the help of this site?

Thanks GibsonExplorer. I looked there, but they don't have this, or most of the new stuff there yet. Plus, I'm looking to discuss it in addition to finding it.

Elvis actually got a C&D after the leak, so he's being ultra-conservative (unless the C&D categorically mentioned the guitar tabs, also).

GibsonExplorer said:
Oh, and Guitar Pro has a free trial version of the software so that you can actually read the tabs. It is well worth the time to install it.

Yep, I have this. Thanks.

hmmmm, this is all amazing to me. the world is full of people that say one thing, and then dont really follow it up. There is a word for it, i cant really put my finger on it, but i believe it starts with uh, an h maybe. Even "Loud Folk" stars are caught in it i guess.

I am completely awestruck by the fact that fans are not aloud to look for guitar tabs to play their favorite songs at home, yet other bands can just bust it out anytime they want live, or pull a "plain frozen water" (you figure it out, protecting myself) and rip the whole thing for their own gains. I dont care if they offer royalties.

next thing these clowns are gonna say is i cant sing along, or mumble the words out when i am bored of listening to silence.

I know this is my first post, and there is a reason. I have watched this forum at a distant off and on for a long time, since interference.com was a legitimate fan site. (kick me off now elvis, justify what I am about to say). I havent subscribed til now cause it seemed like many people were reading, and i know agreeing but were afraid to post. (this was awhile ago while i was jumping through hurdles to get registered).

This is why I dont like to buy music. I have many reasons, but it all comes back to labels, publishing groups, managements who basically want to tell me off as i walk into their store and expect me to stay and shop. By the way, I want my 15 extra bucks back for that crap book that came with my cd. what a waste, i can paint a paper a solid color and do the same. write meaningless crap in wierd shapes on a page.
Damn, this all sounded better in my head, I dont know what i just typed, and i think i forgot the most important things i wanted to say.

Man, I spelled a word wrong. That is not like me. I noticed the grammar fading towards the end, but I was worked up. Thanks Mark. I probably wont be able to sleep tonight now.

Thanks Climhazzard. I feel honored that I got you worked up enough to actually register.

beli said:
What about on zootopia when that opens again. Can you talk about this stuff there?

I, for one, will love to test it, just to see their reaction.

not to be a jerk, but uh, moderator (cant use your name, i might get in trouble).... Can you remove that word from under my moniker. I do not want that to be added to my list when I get busted by these powers that be.

I read a little about copyright law, and unfortunately these tab sites are not protected by the law after all. These sites are operating far beyond the fair use doctrine, and Elvis was right about derivative works being a form of copyright infringement.

However, I still am fuming about the way the site had conducted itself during the album leak, while attempting to silence all talk of guitar tabs. It's the worst kind of hypocrisy.

Whoa! The H word!

I pretend to know much more about copyright laws than I do. Most of what I say is from the point of view of commonsense. What should be, not what is. If these words are so precious, why is "The Vocalist" allowed to change them everynight while on tour?

As for guitar tabs... What is the big deal here? I am seriously asking. If I sat down and miraculously played a song from this band, would I violate the copyright? I really do not see a difference. What is the difference between writing down the notes and making public, or playing them for friends?

As for the album thing, you have a point there. When the last album came out I did not download the band provided clips cause I wanted to wait. This time I thought a bit differently. I own the album, and I mean I own it record company! It is mine, free to do with as I please. ( Do not worry, I will not give copies of it, or mp3s to everyone) If it makes you feel better, I am a sucker and a collector. I will own all 3 versions of it one day, as well as the foreign versions.

Lets be consistant here. Either we play safe and legal all the time, or none of the time. Make no exceptions. There is a G word for this, Genuine.

What I meant by that PLEBA remark is that theres photos taken from professional websites and then the watermarks removed and pasted here. Magazines are also scanned. TV shows are copied by frame. etc.

Is this legal too? Is it copyright material thats being copied? Cause PLEBA didnt get told off when the lyrics, tabs, and mp3 forums were censored.

What's wrong with having a discussion with someone about the chords of a song:

"It sounds to be like a D into a B#minor."

"I think I hear more of a Dsus7 into the B#minor."

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

How is this any different than the conversation that goes:

"It sounds to me like he's singing Are you daughters of Zion,
are your Abraham sons."

"Nah, it's definitely All your daughters of Zion, all your Abraham sons."

Do we stop talking about what we think the lyrics may be???

Makes ZERO sense to me. ZERO.

Mark Freedman said:
Elvis actually got a C&D after the leak, so he's being ultra-conservative (unless the C&D categorically mentioned the guitar tabs, also).

It specifically mentioned the tabs & lyrics, and lyrics. It was VERY specific.

Back
Top Bottom