I'll go crazy tonight if i dont get help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GTS6

The Fly
So, ive been on eBay, Thomann, and googling about a Delay Unit.

At the moment im using a Zoom 505, Dead Dead basic, but it gets me about:
zoom505.gif

Im still a student, (Studying Music Performance mind you) and i'm limited to funds, i cant afford a TC 2290 :(

I've mostly been looking at the Behringer Models like the DR400 and the VM1, which seem quite decent
Also the Boss DD-20, but it would take a little saving.

So what id like to know, what is the best Delay Unit, gives a good sound, with a good delay time on it, but also not too dear.

I've also looked at the RV600, i understand this creates a shimmer sound, anyone got one? Is it any good?

Cheers,
Glenn..

My recomendation would be to stear clear of the behringer stuff. I've heard bad stuff about their guitar effects. Apparently only their pro audio lines are any good,

The boss stuff will get you by nicely :)

I agree about the Behringer units. I've had 2 pedals over the years and there's a reason why they are cheap, they both lasted less than a year. I would recommend one of the Line 6 units like the DL4 or one of the cheaper Pods.

If you cannot afford a TC-2290 and/or a SDD 3000, but you really want to get as close to Edge's delay as possible on a tight budget, then I would highly recommend saving up a bit longer for the Boss DD-20...you can add that famous Edge modulation to your delay. Even if you're not on a tight budget I would still recommend the DD-20. It only has 5 storable presets but this is really no biggie since it has a built in tap-tempo. It also has quite a cool looping ability, though I don't really use that.

My 5 cents.

Last edited:
I guess that spending Money on a better System does make sense. And would save more money in the long run.

I guess if The Edge uses a TC model, they would be the best, or even Line 6. But they are very dear.

I think i'll start saving for either the DL4, or the DD-20.

Also what about Multi-Effects? Does anyone use them to re-create Edges priceless sound?

Also what about Multi-Effects? Does anyone use them to re-create Edges priceless sound?

I think the cheapest original Edge FX out there will be the A3, you'll pick it up at around 200$ on eBay. With that you'll nail the early 90's stuff (Mysterious Ways, Numb, The Fly, etc.).

As to FX that people generally tend to use: The M13 is very popular and comes at a rather cheap price. Of course you have FX like the Boss GT's etc but I think the M13 is really the best deal out there if you want to spend money on ONE thing and one thing only.

Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX Ultra is a popular multi fx unit with Edge-wannabes (for want of a better word). It's not cheap though, around $2000, but still cheaper than buying everything Edge has.

The Line 6 M13 comprises, amongst many other things, a lot of the DM-4 models and the Verbzilla Octo effect that's used by many as an affordable way to emulate Edge's shimmer. So an M13 might be a better option than buying a DM4 and a Verbzilla. I'm toying with the idea myself of perhaps parting company with my DM4 and Verbzilla for the M13.

I've read some really good things about Empress Superdelay. But that's pretty expensive. I've got an EHX Memory Boy which I like. I'm saving for a second EHX delay as well (Memory Man w/Hazarai). I used to have a TC Nova Delay, but it wasn't true bypass and made the tone a bit brittle even when it was off.

The Zoom 505 that i have now can only support up to 370 ms of Delay.

Ive seen the Boss DD-3, for under £50 on eBay, 2nd hand.
Does this seem a good deal?
The Delay on this is between 1.2 ms and 800 ms?

Thanks

I recommend the Line 6 M13. Excellent multi effects pedal. It has great modulated delay, as well as other kinds of delays, and a shimmer effect. The beringer pedal kind of does it, but its really not that good. Plus, the m13 has pretty much any effect you can think of. :wave:

I think the cheapest original Edge FX out there will be the A3, you'll pick it up at around 200$ on eBay. With that you'll nail the early 90's stuff (Mysterious Ways, Numb, The Fly, etc.).

I agree. I've two A3 in my rack. They are my main and only delay unit.
It has modulation delay.
It's midi.
100 presets memory
It's Korg as SDD3000
It has many more effects inside
...it just doesn't have the famous sdd3000 preamp circuit, a light solution to this matter is to put a clear boost or a preamp (FA-1, Triad, Trabant's SDD 3kp, any distortion pedal with gain set to zero) before it.

You can play many songs with just the A3, and store them in its memory.
I have used an "A3+clear boost" set up for many U2 songs, and I really had lot of fun with it.

Here is the link to an old thread I opened last year to share some "A3+clear boost" settings of mine

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f197/korg-a3-settings-for-amib2005-bts-201705.html

Here's another clip of The Fly
YouTube - U2 - The Fly - Guitar cover
It's just Korg A3+Boss FA-1 as preamp/boost

As you can hear, the tone is not pefect but it's quite nice.
I think you could be very satisfied with just two units...and some saved money into your pockets :)

go with the M9 or m13. with the release of the HD500 those are gonna sell for good prices you prob could pick one up fairly cheap and you get a whollop for its size and price. Good delays and good everything else you can think of all in one box

Mick

Back
Top Bottom