If you had 500-1000 dollars (American) to spend on a guitar, what kind would you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably a standard Telecaster. Who cares about whammy bars, active electronics and so on...

Oh, and if I was buying a bass (as opposed to a guitar) I'd probably be looking at either a Japanese Jazz or a one-pickup Stingray. Or maybe a Lakland Jazz though this is probably outside the price range you mention.

Is this just a random question to stimulate discussion or are you looking to buy something?

You could get a great Fender Tele or Strat for that price. American made w/ case. Best $1000 you'll spend on a guitar.

im looking to buy one

a couple i have in mind now are a dean evo special select

evo_special_select.jpg

i saw that one for 620

or i was thinking some type of brian moore in that price range

would i be a fool to get one of those?

are fenders a lot better?

I prefer Teles, cause they're tanks that sound great. The tone is classic and so is the look. And they only look better the older they get. You'll get a top line Tele or Strat for $800-900.

im kind of an idiot, whats the difference between the strat and tele

i saw a gibson explorer tonight that looked pretty sweet within my price range, but my friends made fun of me for thinking of buying it

Ibanez makes some models that are in-between the sounds of the traditional les pauls and the more twangy teles and strats. Similar to Japanese Fenders in price, availability, and reliability. I myself would have to agree with gragavar and mrbrau1, who always make sound guitar advice.

:up:

Other than that, if you can find a used Paul Reed Smith, or a good Hamer that would be my vote. I love the Hamer Studio I have, but in the end it's all personal preference. The only reliable advice I can impart is that you shouldn't take money when you venture out to search, and don't buy it 'till you try it. Especially if it's used.

Don't get Les Paul Studio :down:

Last edited:
well after much debate and thought, i ended up heeding mr brau's and gravgar's advice and i got a telecaster

it sounds and plays great and i love it, so thanks for the help

i was very close to going with a les paul, because i love the way they look, but the tele was easier to play and sounded better, and was 700 dollars less expensive, so it was pretty much a no brainer. and im really starting to come around on how tele's look, im starting to think they look pretty badass, here is a pic of the one i just got.

geetar.jpg

Tokai Stratocaster-
Mulberry Red-
Red Marble Scratchplate
White Knobs/pickups etc.
Maple Neck

Looks absolutley Delicious. I'd take a Tokai Strat over a Fender anyday.

babyman said:
i would buy john petrucci's "musicman", wow what a guitar!! :drool: :drool: :) :)

with $500 - $1000??? you got to be kidding me...

I'd save another 1000 bucks and get an Ibanez JEM7VWH....now THAT woman deserves a :drool: :drool: :drool:

still, it's all in what style YOU play. Which guitar goes with you is what matters.

As MrBrau1 said, I'd go with the Fender Telecaster. Its a really great guitar which sounds awesome, looks wonderful, and used by many of the greats including Edge of course.

Right now I have a Fender Squire but I'm looking at getting a Tele either next month or later in the summer.

i cant afford a decent guitar! but i do have (well my dad has) a very rare Aria guitar with a John Frusciante sound to it. (it must be rare cos theres no info bout it at all on the web.)

I'm looking for my first electric. I'd get a tele if I could also get one with humbuckers but since I can only get one I'm looking for versatility.

Leaning towards a Godin SDxt, anyone have any ownership experience with these?

I've never played any instrument by Godin so no comment. Why not buy a nice stock Tele and replace the bridge pickup with a drop-in humbucker by whoever? It would only cost a bit more, you could do the work yourself and you'd have exactly what you wanted. You could also do the other pickup too if you wanted but that sounds pretty good on its own anyway. I did this with an old Squier Tele I bought secondhand years ago with a broken bridge pickup, the whole thing including pickup cost me less than ?100, it sounded great once done and it became my most played guitar for about ten years. (The Squiers made in the 80's are nothing like the present not very nice Squier range by the way.) I've still it somewhere in the basement actually, I should dig it out and give it a twang...

Back
Top Bottom