Ibanez Tube Screamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monroe

Babyface
I want to get a tube screamer, but there are so many different models/versions/modifications to choose. Which one gives the best Edge tone?

Ibanez TS9, although new ones are a bit different than the vintage ones, which edge uses of course :wink: But it is possible to modify it to make it like a vintage. I dont know anything about modifying them though

monroe said:
I want to get a tube screamer, but there are so many different models/versions/modifications to choose. Which one gives the best Edge tone?

I would recomend the Maxon Tubescreamers or an Ibanez TS9. But if you want something even better, try the Fulltone OCD.Its like a Tubescreamer but more transparent and rich in harmonics. When I get some extra cash Im grabbing that for sure! Also, Edge currently uses a TS9 modded by Robert Keeley. http://robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=5

Need to modify a Tubescreamer? Forget Keeley as he takes a basic pedal, adds a few dollars worth of electronics and charges you double the price of the original pedal. The guy at monteallums.com sells you the electronics + instructions for around $20 for his mods and they are just as good. Or just the instructions for $5. But you have to do it yourself. Which isn't as hard as it looks as you follow his instructions. Never had any problems with them and I must have modded up to 8 pedals.

Or if you're even more cheap, I'm sure that the instructions to mod a tubescreamer to nearly any configuration (including the Keeley mod) floats around on the internet. Together with the Big Muff it's probably easily the most modded pedal in history.

With the right instructions modding a factory pedal is easy. Certainly not worth paying somebody else halfway across the world $45. You heat the soldered link, apply solderwick or a soldersucker to remove the liquid solder, take out out the $0.10 electronic component, insert the new $0.20 electronic component, apply solder and then test the pedal to hear if it went right. If so repeat. If not reheat the joints. It's not rocket science. Hell, if you're that bad soldering let a friend do it who can. End result, kick ass pedal + $45 you saved which you can use to buy something else instead. Raise middle finger to Keeley and Analogman for even daring to ask so much money. Hell, the greatest piece of pedal robbery is Keeley's TS-9 baked mod, for which he asks $30+ to do it for you but which consists of swapping 1 capacitor and 2 resistors. Which is less then a dollar in components.

And I have once played a Keeley modded TS-9. The only problem is that I've never played an unmodified TS-9 so I can't really compare. I can compare it with my Boss SD-1 with self installed Monteallums SD-808 mod and that blew the Keeley TS-9 out of the water. Although I admit that might be because the SD-808 mod doubles the gain and I do love my gain.

In the end though I guess it all boils down to what you like more. All the mods do something to the TS-9 and they probably all do it just a little differently. Keeley's may add a little more bias or highs, Analogman may offer smoother mids, Monteallums may offer more gain (I'm making this all up of course), but if thats not up to your liking even the best modded pedal may disappoint. And the sound clips that supposed to help you may not always give you what you need to hear. If you play rhythm most soundclips disappoint as they seem to be full of leads mostly. The Keeley may sound great but chances are he used a different amp with different settings then you have and the end result on your amp sounds not what you expected. The main advantage with learning to mod your own pedals is that if a certain mod is not to your liking, you can change it all over again.

Last edited:
Muad'zin said:
With the right instructions modding a factory pedal is easy. Certainly not worth paying somebody else halfway across the world $45. You heat the soldered link, apply solderwick or a soldersucker to remove the liquid solder, take out out the $0.10 electronic component, insert the new $0.20 electronic component, apply solder and then test the pedal to hear if it went right. If so repeat. If not reheat the joints. It's not rocket science. Hell, if you're that bad soldering let a friend do it who can. End result, kick ass pedal + $45 you saved which you can use to buy something else instead. Raise middle finger to Keeley and Analogman for even daring to ask so much money. Hell, the greatest piece of pedal robbery is Keeley's TS-9 baked mod, for which he asks $30+ to do it for you but which consists of swapping 1 capacitor and 2 resistors. Which is less then a dollar in components.

And I have once played a Keeley modded TS-9. The only problem is that I've never played an unmodified TS-9 so I can't really compare. I can compare it with my Boss SD-1 with self installed Monteallums SD-808 mod and that blew the Keeley TS-9 out of the water. Although I admit that might be because the SD-808 mod doubles the gain and I do love my gain.

In the end though I guess it all boils down to what you like more. All the mods do something to the TS-9 and they probably all do it just a little differently. Keeley's may add a little more bias or highs, Analogman may offer smoother mids, Monteallums may offer more gain (I'm making this all up of course), but if thats not up to your liking even the best modded pedal may disappoint. And the sound clips that supposed to help you may not always give you what you need to hear. If you play rhythm most soundclips disappoint as they seem to be full of leads mostly. The Keeley may sound great but chances are he used a different amp with different settings then you have and the end result on your amp sounds not what you expected. The main advantage with learning to mod your own pedals is that if a certain mod is not to your liking, you can change it all over again.

Well if the person doesnt have experience with electronics and soldering, then this isnt really a good idea.Circuit boards are delicate things, and the wrong hands could destoy a wonderful pedal. You also would have to buy the equipment to do the mod.

Buying the equipment is a one time investment. Besides, owning a soldering kit is useful tool anyway. Plenty of tutorials can be found on the internet.

Over the past past year and a half I've gone from being a soldering n00b to somebody who did at least 8 mods and build about the same number of DIY pedals. Hell, I've even made my very own single stoop A/B loop switch. Like I said before, its not rocket science. I've had problems, but I never broken a circuit board. They're not as delicate as you think. But even if you do have two left hands, you can always ask a friend . For my first mod I went to a friend who went to a technical school and I watched him do it. And learned.

It sure beats adding $45 to mr. Keeley's or Analogman's bank account.

i'd forget about the silver mod if i were you... i removes the whole point of a TS, IMO. You want that midrange to cut through a band and stay sounding full. A silver mod TS might sound great on a recording or when playing alone in your bedroom but with a full band, forget it.

People forget that the designers of these pedals knew what they were doing. Yes, they used cheap parts in manufacturing but that's the cost of doing business on a large scale.

I use an '84 TS9 with the Toshiba TA75558 chip. It sounds great. Just get a 90s RI TS9 and you'll be good. Replace the chip if you want with a jrc4558 if you want but it's really not necessary. I have a well made TS9 clone with the jrc4558 and it really doesn't sound any different, definitely not 'better' than my '84 with the TA75558.

Also, remember that a TS9 sounds its best when it is hitting an already pushed tube amp.

if you're referring to the 1990s reissue TS9 i mentioned, then yes.. pretty much. They probably used a different brand of capacitors but the values are the same.

The new TS9s are built in China i believe... any Made In Japan TS9 is going to sound pretty good, imo.

So the difference is the chip? Only?

The Edge has an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer with the "Silver Mod".

AnalogMan confirmed this when I contacted them a few years back.

More info from AnalogMan site, regarding the "Silver Mod":

The Silver Mod is designed for people who want more clarity, less compression and midrange than a standard tube screamer. The TV mod is the exact vintage TS808 circuit and sound, ultimate warmth and smoothness. But the differences between silver and TV are pretty subtle, if you have not played tube screamers much you probably will not hear a lot of difference. Just choose silver if you strive for clarity, or TV if you like vintage tones and warmth. You really can't go wrong with either choice.
AND...

Our SILVER MOD pedals will have the RE-J sticker on the top and the silver sunface sticker on the front as seen on the left. They will also have a date and the type of mod and modders signature on the inside of the bottom plate.

The Classic TS-808 sound is well known and loved by thousands of players and millions of music fans. It cuts through the mix in live situations very well and sounds full and warm, with a vocal frequency spectrum. However some guitar players feel it is a bit too heavy in the midrange and loses a bit too much bottom end, especially people who play fairly clean or alone or in a small combo. The TS-808 EFFECTS your sound, but in a good way. The SILVER option allows it to add the drive and warmth without EFFECTING your sound quite as much- it is more transparent, it does not sound like you are using an effect pedal as much.

In 2002 we came up with a new TS9/808/silver option to meet the requirements of those few super discriminating players. This modification is done in addition to our normal TS-808/Brown mod. It uses many expensive components to make the TS-808 circuit really come alive

really? huh... i had one and I didn't like it. BUT, I was using old Fender amps at the time. I just couldn't hear myself in the mix as well. Maybe the silver mod works well when pushing an AC30.

One of my main issues with the silver mod was that it reduces the output gain... so the pedal is not as loud as a standard TS9. The pedal wasn't loud enough with my les paul. I assume it would be worse with the '76 Explorers more powerful pickups. I'll have to try one again with my new Cage amp...

Back
Top Bottom