i will follow bass tab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhotswami

Blue Crack Addict
i've seen different versions, i think the proper tab is:

G
D ------------------------666----
A 66666666--------66666666---444
E ----------77777777

Anyway, does anybody know if the live version is different? I've tried watching videos, but they seem to be more Edge or Bono friendly, so I can't really tell what Adam is doing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You know this....i been trying to get my head round tab....as for the last 32 yrs...i been learning by ear......and my understanding of it has just gone out the window with what you have posted above:doh::huh::sad:

Just checked with my bass, it sounds correct indeed(never learnt to play this song).

About Adam, he usually favours one string playing I've found over the years(most notably Streets), so there's a chance he plays it all on E. I'll take alook at videos when I have the time. :hmm:

Just checked with my bass, it sounds correct indeed(never learnt to play this song).

About Adam, he usually favours one string playing I've found over the years(most notably Streets), so there's a chance he plays it all on E. I'll take alook at videos when I have the time. :hmm:

Am really confused now....back to learning by ear methinks:huh:

I just see gobbledegook. Am thinking it might be my dyslexia getting in the way. I just cant get to grips with it at all.:sad:

Correct me if i am wrong....but according to unico's post.....you play the 6th fret on the A string first? well.....isnt that a D#? shouldnt it be 7th fret on the A string....making it an E? At the risk of making an ass of myself, i thought the main two notes of the verse were E and C/E?:hmm:

The main note is indeed an E, but Adam has a tendency not to play exactly the same note as Edge but to play a subnote. I'm not really good at explaining as I've only learned this myself at my last lesson, but it's what he does.

I think I can help.

The tab in the original post is in standard tuning, which means while it's correct literally (the right notes), it's incorrect in practice (this is why it's confusing you, IMO).

you play this song half-step down.

Which means the bass would be

A----7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7----------------
E--------------------------8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8 and so on...

So that means the 6 in the original post (which is a G# in standard tuning) needs to be a 7, tuned down half a step. So it reads like an 'A', being the 7th fret, but the tuning makes it a G#.

Also, I didn't actually check the notes after those first two, so I can't say how accurate the whole tab is, but it looks about right.

Ok, now that I've opened my mouth, I have to check for accuracy.

the riff bass is D#-B-D#-G#-C#
the verses/chorus are D#-G#
I'm not bothering with the bridge right now, I can do it later.

tuned a half step down (riff/chorus)
D---------------------------------------------------7777------------
A------7777777-----------------77777777-----------------5555----
E------------------88888888------------------------------------

the verses/chorus would be the 7's
D------------------77777777
A---77777777-------------

note* the G#/C# in the verse chorus is quick, it might not be 4 notes.
Unico has 3, that could be right, I didn't analyze it closely.

Oh wow! I didn't even think to tune it down half a step. Thanks for the input everyone!
I keep forgetting that the font in this white text box is a different font when posted, so the tab alignment looks off.

Back
Top Bottom