I Want to Remix, but What Do I Need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I want to remix, but what do I need? For instance, if I wanted to remix a U2 song, would I literally need to acquire a source copy from their record label that has all the separated / uncombined tracks? Or are there tools out there that can capture separate elements of a song?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Melon

There are tools to extract certain components out of a 2track copy.

But that?s not how remixers work. They get the masters. If you want it to be official, contact.

If its just for your personal fun, you can try using a software sampler... then there are special tools as well... could be expensive, I have heard about that features some years ago, and it was still up around 1000 $ for the hardware, if I remember correctly... or is there any protools plugin? But technology should have made a big step, check it out at your fav music store.

download the shareware version of CoolEdit pro. I don't think it can separate vocal tracks, etc. But it can do several distortion techniques, loops, and if you acquire other music that you think can go with what you want to remix you can put it in. try it out, it's somewhat difficult to manage at first but you'll get used to it.

Se7en said:
To do a true remix you need the multi-track tapes...period. (Or computer files if it was done digitally :))

Yeah...that's what I thought all along. I wonder how easy it is to contact record companies to do this? If it costs money? Or if only the big shots get to touch stuff like this?

Melon

melon said:

Yeah...that's what I thought all along. I wonder how easy it is to contact record companies to do this? If it costs money? Or if only the big shots get to touch stuff like this?

Melon

Get an actual copy of the U.S. Recording Industry Sourcebook.

Expensive, but well worth it.

Tell us the secret - who do you want to remix? The answer of how to contact someone depends on who it is.

You may contact the management of the composer(s).

An established artist will let you do a remix if you have already remixed some other established artists or if you have contributed to various other musical projects.

Unlikely that they will call you back if you are a freshman, but its worth a try.

Try to make sure that it is an actual song and that the artist needs a remix (f.e. for club use). F.e. U2 don?t need another remix of ES, it seems. The Stones don?t need a remix of Satisfaction, except if they decide to do a GreatHitsComp. with remixes. BUT Tupac Shakur maybe? Hurry up, album?s in stores the 26th :D

Get Sonic Foundry?s ACID PRO 3.0 , or any other.
Loops and stuff are available to download from the net, for free.Get it from Kazaa.
or give something diferente but cheaper like Playstation One disc-"Studio 2000"- It?s NOT a game but a very good miusic maker/remixer to work in the Playstation.easy to use and has 25 track recording capabilities...almost like a studio...PLUS 5000 loop & sounds.
Check it out.

Long overdue, but thanks to everyone who replied. It was useful!

BTW, Acid Pro is up to 4.0 now.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom