I want to learn to play the guitar. Please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
Hey y'all...
I want to play the guitar. I've been thinking about it long enough and I almost went out yesterday and bought one, but then I thought "Maybe my Interference friends can help me".
I don't think I'll have a problem teaching myself the basics, I was a music major in college, but do I have to buy Learning the Guitar for Dummies ?I don't really know how people teach themselves...do I just need a chord chart?
I want to do all this on an acoustic guitar, any suggestions as to where I should buy one? There is a Guitar Center about 10 minutes away...I haven't gone in there yet because if I do, I'll buy without thinking about it.
How much should I spend on a guitar?
Whatever advice and help you can give me would be very appreciated...
Thanks!
Mrs.Clayton

i don't know anything about buying a guitar, i kind of inherited mine...as for teaching yourself, i shouldn't answer this cos i kind of suck

The Edge tought me guitar, literally. After playing their songs as a beginner and watching Rattle and Hum, Zoo Tv, etc... I've learned more than I've ver learned from my guitar teacher.

Dont spend too much on your first guitar. It's best to buy one in the 200 - 400 dollar range as a beginning guitar in my opinion. That will get you a good one to start with that will give you a sound that will make you want to keep on playing.

I think you should buy a cheap one as a beginning instrument, but not too cheap. An extremely cheap guitar will probably end up giving you crappy sound and problems in the long run (which will in turn make you not want to practice/play on it). A guitar in the 200 to 400 $ range will be great to start with, and will last you long enough into intermediate status, etc.

If you have any friends or acquaintences who play guitar, try to get them to go with you. Having someone who atleast knows something about guitars will make sure the salesmen wont try to screw you over. If you cant find anybody to go, act like you know something about guitars (so as to not get screwed over). :wink:

Honestly, just try to get a salesman who seems to know something about acoustic guitars and ask him what he'd buy if he was in your position. A lot of it just comes down to personal preference (Get something you think looks good and sounds good, which is hard when you dont know how to play yet. That's why I recommend bringing someone along)

Good advice.

I concur.

As for lessons, either way works. You might be motivated better by lessons, but you might get to your personal goals faster through self-enrichment.

Back
Top Bottom