How do you tab a song by ear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galeongirl

Galeonbroad
I've a song from a fairly unknown dutch band, and I'd love to learn it on guitar... but are there ways to find out what notes it are and to tab it? I would try by trial and error but without electric guitar I"m not getting that far :uhoh:
is anyone willing to help me or has a site that helps or so?

I always found there is no substitute for just sitting there with a guitar, let the music play and just play along while you put the song on repeat. Once you get the chords you get the key, once you have the key you'll have a general idea which notes to play for a solo. If you play along and it sounds good, you're on the right track. If not, try a different chord/scale.

[rocking chair mode]These kids of today! They're so used to jumping on the internet looking for tabs and when they can't find any they just start posting requests for it. Nobody uses their own ears any more. In my days there was no internet and going by ear was all you had. That or buying a very expensive tab book.

Spoiled whippersnappers![/rocking chair mode]

i always start with figuring out what key it is, and from there you can figure out the chords and chord progressions. once you know what key it's it, it's a lot easier to figure out melodies and riffs.

Muad'zin said:
I always found there is no substitute for just sitting there with a guitar, let the music play and just play along while you put the song on repeat. Once you get the chords you get the key, once you have the key you'll have a general idea which notes to play for a solo. If you play along and it sounds good, you're on the right track. If not, try a different chord/scale.

[rocking chair mode]These kids of today! They're so used to jumping on the internet looking for tabs and when they can't find any they just start posting requests for it. Nobody uses their own ears any more. In my days there was no internet and going by ear was all you had. That or buying a very expensive tab book.

Spoiled whippersnappers![/rocking chair mode]

well, I would use my own ears, but for that I would need an elecrtic guitar which I don't own yet.... and the only place for me to use an electric guitar is the music classroom at school.... but the teacher there is the guy who played guitar on this track, so I don't want him to hear I'm trying to figure it out!!

trial and error...it takes a long time but use every hunch...just keep playing small parts over and over again

Galeongirl said:

well, I would use my own ears, but for that I would need an elecrtic guitar which I don't own yet.... and the only place for me to use an electric guitar is the music classroom at school.... but the teacher there is the guy who played guitar on this track, so I don't want him to hear I'm trying to figure it out!!
I think he would be proud of of it. Unless he is a complete ****, I would suggest to ask him.

Barkeeper said:
I think he would be proud of of it. Unless he is a complete ****, I would suggest to ask him.

lol, but I want to surprise him :lol: aka, play it once I know the whole song... yea, could take a long while tho...
he's the coolest guy I know :D
here's the song btw, let me know what you guys think :)
http://download.yous endit.com/072580AA2B694AE0

Galeongirl said:

Electric, acoustic, it should make no difference. I rarely try to figure a song out with my electric guitar plugged in. I prefer to just use it as is. You can add distortion, delay, modulation, whatever, once you know the song, but to figure a song out as clean as possible is best. In that sense an acoustic is just as good, if not better. After all, you're trying to figure out notes, not the sound of those notes. Unless it's a U2/Radiohead like song. :wink:

Last edited:
Alrighty, here's the intro:
e-2-----2------4-----4-----2-----2-----5------5----
B---2-----2------2-----2-----2-----2-----2------2--
G-----2-----2------2-----2-----2-----2-----2------2
D-------------------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------

I've almost got the riff for you as well.

For the riff try this:
e------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-2-4-4--2/4-4-4--2-4-4------2-4-2----2-4-4--2/4-4-4--2-4-4-2-4-
A-2-4-4--2/4-4-4--2-4-4--2-4-------4--2-4-4--2/4-4-4--2-4-4-2-4-
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for what part is this? I can't really check it since it sounds so off on accoustic for me, so I'll check it when I go jamming with my friend... prolly after the exams tho :(

thank you so much for tabbing this song for me :bow: how can I ever thank you?

Ah yes I see, I was playing it way too slow :)
Could you please tab the solo for me aswell? and if there's something I could do for you in return, some U2file you've been looking for or so, I'd be happy to give it if I have it :)

Back
Top Bottom