How can I record?? Looking for advice. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2001, 04:44 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 03:20 AM
How can I record?? Looking for advice.

I'm no serious musician, but I play some guitar and piano. I've never put much money into my guitar equipment, but I would love to be able to record some multi-track stuff. My brother has an old 4-track he bought 10 years ago that he'd be glad to sell to me, but I feel like technology must be out there for me to just do it on my PC. Here's what I'm after: what's the cheapest way I can record multiple vocal/guitar tracks on my PC? I'm not too concerned about audio quality, I just want to be able to, for example, record a rhythm guitar part, go back and play lead over it, and then record some vocals, then go back and record a harmony part over that? Would it take tons of expensive hardware and software? I'm really quite clueless, but I must be able to put my PC to use musically somehow. I'd really appreciate any ideas/thoughts/advice anyone might have. Thanks.

Spiral_Staircase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 01:25 PM   #2
War Child

Come on! Doesn't anybody have some advice?

Old 02-07-2001, 08:38 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 04:20 AM
Good start is:

1 high quality mic - i.e. akg c1000

and some good software like: http://www.cakewalk.com

and perhaps a small mixer, like a 12 channel mackie all going into the input jack on your sound card.

Mark http://www.mp3.com/madelyniris
MadelynIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
War Child

Mark,
Thanks a lot. Cakewalk Music Creator looks like just what I'm looking for and is in the price range I was hoping for. And the Desktop Music Handbook on that site should give me a bit o' education. Thanks again for your help - it's much appreciated.

If anybody else has some suggestions, please pass them along. I'm still shopping around and always trying to learn. Thanks.

-Tim
Old 02-25-2001, 11:43 PM   #5
Babyface

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Cakewalk is a good program I have Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. If you are interested let me know.
Mr_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 05:26 PM   #6
War Child

Hey guys,

I posted this in lemonade stand but spiral told me about this post.

What hardware do I need to record onto my mac? I've got a mic, but what do I need to hook that, my guitar to my computer. I've got the midi aspect under control. It's the rest that has me confused.

And what is the advantage to having a hard mixer? Why would you want to control the levels twice?

I don't know why I don't know the answers to these questions. I took an electronic music class, but everything seems to have changed in the past couple of years.

------------------
"Home is where the heart is, but your heart had to roam...."
popkidu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 07:29 AM   #7
Babyface

Really all you need is an analog 4-track - if the beatles recoder whole albums on one, then so can anyone else. And there is something really cool about having something that looks like a mini-recording studio sitting in your bedroom. With the , a good keyboard (with decent drums and strings on it) and a guitar you can do anything. Yes it might not be as good a sound quality, or very technologically advenced, but who are you trying to be.....U2 or someone mad like that..
slippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 05:14 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:20 AM
@spiral_staircase:
cakewalk/ mic/ small mixer may be fine, but i would keep the 4track anyway because computers tend to breakdown from time to time, and without a good backup medium i would not trust it. anyway, if you donīt want to spend loads of money on a fine a/d converter, the sound quality is kind of medium. so you could also use one of these 8trackallinone harddisk recorders, which you should be able to get used and relatively cheap. i would use a good mic to, but there should be cheaper alternatives to the akg c1000. be sure to get a condensator mic anyway, and try to get different characteristics (like the 8 is very nice to record two singers standing faced to each other at the same time).
@popkidu2:
the quest of the hardware on mac is a neverending theme. i donīt know what midi program you have, but most up to date programs like emagic logic audio or steinberg cubase offer software recording possibilities. then you need a rec. card, but i would suggest spending a little more and going for audio interface hardware. with the loads of interfaces on the market, it also depends on what mac you have (powerpc soso, i mac bad, G4 good for musical purposes) and if you got enough ram etc. possibilities range from event darla or layla or emagic audiowerk 8 (all sth. around 500 USD) to a full fledged protools with external hardware control. and this is just the start, you can get a/d converters that cost 20,000 USD per piece. be careful, let all the system fit together, means: if you want to use digital ins/outs sometime, include this into your decision and so on.
to your second question: itīs true, there is no sense in controlling the levels twice. but i need a hardware mixer, because without i would be totally unflexible. everytime i want to make the guitar louder or to filter it, i want to do it fast and spontaneous. this is why i donīt like to work with digital mixers. i donīt want to touch the mouse or step through 5 menus on a screen only to change simple things. in a mix situation i want to have control, and to be able to change something fast. for this i need an analogue hardware mixer. there is a point in programming everything before, but you lose some good mix ideas too. so its better to program a part (like mididata about cutoff or sth.), and to leave a part to the hands (yeah fading out in realtime *g*)
have fun
whenhiphop

hiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 02:10 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:20 AM
test functions now my reply? or waz on in this forum?

hiphop is offline   Reply With Quote