Herdim or Dunlop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpsglick2424

Refugee
Can someone please explain to me what the difference of the Herdim picks and the Dunlop picks with the dots on them just like the Herdim picks do. Because if it's that much of a difference I might buy them...

Thank you

-Zach:wink:

Im not completely sure of the exact differences, however, everyone I've talked to about it have said there is a noticeable difference, and that the Herdim picks just sound more like the Edge. My question is ... are Herdim picks more expensive than usual? The cheapest I've found Herdims are for $0.75 cents (US) ... does that seem a little expensive to anyone else?

The Herdim's are more of a hard plastic not a soft plastic or nylon like the Dunlops.

The Herdims will make a slight difference but I think you have to have a pretty good ear to catch it. The problem is the Herdims get wore down and lose the raspy sound so you have to keep using new ones at $0.75 each.

That being said, I still use the Herdims.

Last edited:
Herdims are expensive, but very very good. the dimples go all the way out to the edge of the pick, and are deeper, so you get a better 'chink' than with the dunlops. the dunlops are probably the best alternate though, they're very good.

I bought a few herdim's and for .75 cents a pop (not to mention the shipping at 5.96 or so) I think I am only going to use them for the studio or live for the bigger shows.

I think you can maybe get 2 live shows (45-1hour sets) per side if your lucky. Could be me though , as I have a tendancy to attack the strings.

It does sound really good, and has a nice rasp to the sound, but honestly take a Yellow dunlop tortex and play with the back end of the pick and you will get 90% of the way there. Live no one in the audience will notice the diffrence.

Playing with the pick backwards or striking with the side of the pick in a somewhat bowing action helps. Chew the sides up a bit by scraping it down the low string so it has some texture to it and it helps chime the srings. I purchased some Ibanez Steve Vai picks and they have little grip nodules that kind of work. Or, I believe the Jim Dunlop picks you speak of that have the raised print on them in the plastic that are used for grip work well too.
However for the sound to be correct it is more in the striking action uses and not just the pick.

Back
Top Bottom