Her dum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budgetedge

The Fly
As I've explained, I'm a newbie to the U2 scene and all things edge.
Just a quick one really, but a question I'd like a response too.

With new blue herdim picks, it's near impossible to stop them flying out my hands as they grips the strings so much. Strumming to streets is a might task if I'm honest.

Is it just a case of wearing them down a bit? What do you guys do to stop the blue piece of genius coming unstuck from your edge induced grip?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, just keep using them. You'll get used to it.

So do you play perfect with a new one? Or so you wear them down?

Also can a herdim pick go past it's 'use by date'? I mean, can you wear them down to a point where you won't achieve that edge 'chime'?

Cheers

Maybe you're pushing them into the strings too much... I use relatively new one (as I could only buy them in a box with 70 or so), and never had any issues at all.

Maybe you're pushing them into the strings too much... I use relatively new one (as I could only buy them in a box with 70 or so), and never had any issues at all.

That's intresting. Maybe it's my style of playing that's causing problems? Do you have any tips for strumming? The picking is ok, say streets intro but for the verse it is a task to get hold of it as it will literally 'stick' to the strings on contact

Hmm, I don't have any special technique, just put the pick with the pointy flat side inbetween thumb and index finger and that's it. Not sure how else to explain it.

Well that's what I do and yet the pick will drag on the strings. I guess some practice is in order.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

So do you play perfect with a new one? Or so you wear them down?

Also can a herdim pick go past it's 'use by date'? I mean, can you wear them down to a point where you won't achieve that edge 'chime'?

Cheers

I play the same with a new one as I do with a used one. At first, it took some getting used to as I changed the way I attack the strings slightly. I've always held all of my picks the backward way though. Anyway, I've been using herdim for 2 years now, and I only have used 3 picks and I still have all three. They all get the same gritty scrapey compressed sound as they did when they were new in my case.

Hope this helps.

Practice practice practice.

It might feel a bit weird at first, not being used to the Herdim gripping the string. You will get used to it. That top end 'rasp' is part of the secret to The Edge's chiming staccato sound.

Yeah it does feel strange having the herdim grip on but I'm starting to get over this. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom