Help with fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budgetedge

The Fly
I need help. I simply can't nail the fly sound. I know a korg a3 is needed for the original sound but I just can't get the right sound.

I use an overdrive, a distortion and wah, adding flanger but it just don't sound right.

Any advice?!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I have an M13 and I use a wah, distortion, and a delay. But it depends what version you're trying to play

I have an M13 and I use a wah, distortion, and a delay. But it depends what version you're trying to play

I'm looking to achieve zoo tv/Glastonbury style. Do you have a sound clip to listen to your patch?

So I'm guessing I'm on the right track but just missing that special something!

No, I don't. If you have an M13, I could share the settings though

I have a pod xt live, but hopefully this is more or less the same on my unit?

If you could share your settings Id be most grateful. Thanks a lot for your input on this. Mope fully I'll be that little bit closet to achieve the sound.

I use a Fassel wah, tube drive, and two digital delays w/ mod (one set to 405 ms which is on all the time, the other set to 541 ms which I turn on during the solo). Tweak the settings on the tube drive until you find a good sound and that should work. Also, try to play this song with a Strat with the bridge pickup. And of course don't forget an AC30 type amp.

I use a Fassel wah, tube drive, and two digital delays w/ mod (one set to 405 ms which is on all the time, the other set to 541 ms which I turn on during the solo). Tweak the settings on the tube drive until you find a good sound and that should work. Also, try to play this song with a Strat with the bridge pickup. And of course don't forget an AC30 type amp.

Cheers mate. I'll give it a whirl and see how I get on. Defiantly I different set up to what I thought edge used so maybe this is the answer?

I'll let you know either way, thanks again for all your input.

So is the tube drive the key? I had a little tinker around and I didn't have much joy. The overall tone sounded weak? I use gearbox for my patches but didn't fire my laptop up. Do I need to work the tube drive for this song?

I use a tube drive and I get a pretty good sound. You could try using a screamer. Out of curiosity, what guitar and amp are you using?

I use squier strat and use a ac 30 amp sim.

No, I don't. If you have an M13, I could share the settings though

I can private message you my email address, and if you don't mind could you forward your settings over to me? I'm really intrigued how I can get the sound. Man, the fly has to be up there with mysterious way for achieve the sound in my book!

i did a clip a while back of 'The Fly' using my M13
https://soundcloud.com/bbbruce5/the-fly-glasto-style

I used a pedal wah/boost comp/mod delay on the M13

Good attempt in my book. Did you use a les Paul as the wallpaper shows?

Would love to hear your attempt with a strat as that would guitar I prefer with the fly. M

Well done and cheers for posting here.

it was a strat on bridge pup budgetedge.
the les paul is just a screen capture :)

i have a new fender strat and new wah
so will record another version.

The basic components of the Fly's guitar tone are wah, distortion, and delay. The wah and delay are easy to set up. Try different types of distortion to see what works.

Has anyone on here actually nailed it though, and shared their settings?

He uses the A3 on the 360tour;-) There is about 4 different versions Of 'The Fly' from various tours.zoo tv and the 360 tour version especially Glastonbury is my favourite versions.

I actually have an amazing tone on my M13 for the fly, I just have feedback issues with the wah other then that the delay and wah and dis are spot on. Wish I could fix that feedback issue

Soundcloud wont let me upload for some reason? I di a fly, lemon and bad sample. I'm gutted!

Hi, i know that on youtube before you have to convert the audio file to a video with an external programm and then you can upload it, but i never tried this way

You can try today with soundclod, maybe yesterday your server didn't works good...

Back
Top Bottom