help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CheshireCat

Babyface
Hi all, im just about to buy a beringer amp for my u2 cover band. Ive found a great 2 speaker unit (2X30W). My question is: is this equivalent to 60W of power? Is this amp gonna be comparable to other 60W amps?

Thanks

Perhaps you should be asking these questions of the sales staff rather than us if you're just about to spend money on their gear, but, in terms of total power handling, yes. Each speaker handles up to 30 watts which totals 60w. However that's only part of the equation, some 30w amps (example: a Vox AC30) sound much gutsier and seem louder than other amps with twice the output for a number of reasons such as efficiency of the speakers, quality of components and even the style of music played, so the rated wattage is not necessarily the main issue. I have never tried a Behringer amp so have no idea whether this amp is comparable to any other 60W. I'd suggest you not buy any amp until you've tried at least a couple with the specifications you want. Ask the sales staff to explain the pros and cons of each amp, if they don't know, shop elsewhere.

If you're doing the U2 thing on a budget I'd suggest one or other of the Vox Valvetronix series is the way to go, unless you can afford an AC30 of course...

Back
Top Bottom