Help fixing my guitar part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Ok guys here i am back again.

I broke off the wire to the current jack on my strat, and i was wondering how i should replace it. The jack has 3 prongs sticking out, two of which seem to have been saudered on already. Which one do I sauder the wire back on to? Does it matter which one I use? Does anyone know any good websites where I can get help on this?

There are lots and lots of sites with this information... do a google search on "strat wiring diagram". I found about 50 using that.

You need to solder the wires back to the two that have already been soldered. The hot output goes to the tip connector, the other to the other... it's not hard to figure out. Have a look at another strat's wiring if the above is too difficult.

Good luck

Mick

If there's only one wire loose and two soldered connections, and one of them has a wire soldered to it already, I'd recommend you solder the loose wire to the other soldered connection.

The hot wire is the wire that carries the (very low) current to the amp, i.e. it makes the noise. This one is connected to the tip of your 1/4 inch jack plug. The other wire is the ground. This is the one that is soldered to the backs of the pots, connects to the long barrel of your jack via the socket and then finally disappears under into the body where it is electrically connected to the bridge.

Try soldering first. You won't break anything if you get it wrong so give it a try. If it sounds good then you've fixed it and all is well. Do the google search too and look for standard strat wiring, it's a good idea to keep a copy somewhere if you're inclined to fiddle about with the wiring now and again. I'm pretty sure the Seymour Duncan website has wiring diagrams for just about every common guitar on it so have a look there (I think its www.seymourduncan.com but if that's wrong do a search on seymour duncan wiring strat). If it still doesn't work and you can't figure it out using the diagram then unsolder whatever you did and take it to a tech at your local guitar store who will probably want $10 for a little job like this. Pay the man, say thank you and leave the innards of your guitar alone in future. :)

Regards

Mick

Back
Top Bottom